Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
16-04-2014, 09:41 AM
RE: Ranting corner
I am going to kill my calculus teacher. He comes in and says "you know all that stuff you've been learning for two years? That's wrong, we're not doing that anymore."

He then goes on to explain double and triple integrals using different terms than EVERY BOOK EVER thus making it three times more. Implicated than it has to be. Also, telling us about polar integration BEFORE giving us a problem that required it WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2014, 10:01 AM
So its looking more and more like I'm going to have to be forced to take unpaid leave *cry* and probably lose my benefits. I wish I knew more about how to go about doing this stuff.

Guess I better figure out how someone with no money gets a lawyer.
16-04-2014, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2014 10:08 AM by Anjele.)
(16-04-2014 10:01 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  So its looking more and more like I'm going to have to be forced to take unpaid leave *cry* and probably lose my benefits. I wish I knew more about how to go about doing this stuff.

Call your state labor board.

http://www.oregon.gov/BOLI/Pages/index.aspx

OREGON REVISED STATUTES (ORS)
CHAPTER 659A
State laws apply when an employer has 1 or more employees
(except where noted)
Race
Color
National Origin
Sex (includes gender, pregnancy-related conditions and sex
harassment)

Religion
Retaliation (for opposing unlawful employment practices, for
filing a complaint, for testifying about violations or possible
violations)
Association with a Protected Class
Race
Color
National Origin
Sex (includes gender, pregnancy-related conditions and sex
harassment)
Religion
Retaliation (for opposing unlawful employment practices, for
filing a complaint, for testifying about violations or possible
violations)
Association with a Protected Class
Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA; 40 and older; in
companies with 20+ employees)
Age (18 and older)
Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
(USERRA; 1+ employees)
Leave to Serve in State-organized Militia (ORS 399.065),
Uniformed Service Leave and Status and Veteran Status
Americans with Disabilities Act Physical or Mental Disability (in companies with 6+ employees)
Family and Medical Leave Act (in companies with 50+ employees) Oregon Family Leave Act (in companies with 25+ employees)

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-04-2014, 10:05 AM
(16-04-2014 10:03 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 10:01 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  So its looking more and more like I'm going to have to be forced to take unpaid leave *cry* and probably lose my benefits. I wish I knew more about how to go about doing this stuff.

Call your state labor board.

And say what?

"My job is being mean to me and took me off my full time shift and now cant find me a replacement" Im just going to sound like I'm whinging.
16-04-2014, 10:09 AM
(16-04-2014 10:05 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 10:03 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Call your state labor board.

And say what?

"My job is being mean to me and took me off my full time shift and now cant find me a replacement" Im just going to sound like I'm whinging.

Look at what I just added...Oregon Labor board...no sex related discrimination that is pregnancy related.

You can either suck it up or try to get the agencies that are in place to help.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-04-2014, 10:12 AM
(16-04-2014 10:09 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 10:05 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  And say what?

Look at what I just added...Oregon Labor board...no sex related discrimination that is pregnancy related.

"suck it up" Gotta love the support of friends.

I called the number and left a message. I should hear back from them in 48 hours.
16-04-2014, 10:16 AM
(16-04-2014 10:12 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 10:09 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Look at what I just added...Oregon Labor board...no sex related discrimination that is pregnancy related.

"suck it up" Gotta love the support of friends.

I called the number and left a message. I should hear back from them in 48 hours.

You can take steps to stand up for your rights or not. What to say? Tell them what happened. It's not whining if it's true that you are being discriminated against due to your pregnancy, which is not legal in your state for employers with over 1 employee. Giving up won't accomplish much.

16-04-2014, 10:16 AM
(16-04-2014 10:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 10:12 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  "suck it up" Gotta love the support of friends.

You can take steps to stand up for your rights or not. What to say? Tell them what happened. It's not whining if it's true that you are being discriminated against due to your pregnancy, which is not legal in your state for employers with over 1 employee. Giving up won't accomplish much.

yeppers.
16-04-2014, 10:18 AM
(16-04-2014 10:16 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 10:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  You can take steps to stand up for your rights or not. What to say? Tell them what happened. It's not whining if it's true that you are being discriminated against due to your pregnancy, which is not legal in your state for employers with over 1 employee. Giving up won't accomplish much.

yeppers.

Between now and the return call, write some notes. A time line of events from the time you let your employer know that you are pregnant. It's a lot easier to deal with these agencies if you have you ducks in a row and can give concise, fact-based answers. The people that work in these places know what questions to ask and how to proceed. And it's free to you.

16-04-2014, 10:57 AM
(16-04-2014 10:09 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Look at what I just added...Oregon Labor board...no sex related discrimination that is pregnancy related.

My guess is the employer is using some sorta "weight condition" and not the pregnancy itself. Even if the weight condition is pregnancy-related if it presents some sorta health hazard to her, the baby, or fellow employees my guess is the state probably can't do anything. Not sure what type of job that would be though. She should still check though. A 25 yo in the Portland area can get a $0 deducitble HMO plan for $257/month and moda offers a PPO with a $500 deductible for $203/month.. The rates vary by area.

#sigh