Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
16-04-2014, 12:07 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(16-04-2014 10:01 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  So its looking more and more like I'm going to have to be forced to take unpaid leave *cry* and probably lose my benefits. I wish I knew more about how to go about doing this stuff.

Guess I better figure out how someone with no money gets a lawyer.

Very often, a labor attorney will give you a free 1/2 hour to evaluate - just ask.

Have you even fucking called a lawyer yet?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2014, 12:11 PM
(16-04-2014 12:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 10:01 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  So its looking more and more like I'm going to have to be forced to take unpaid leave *cry* and probably lose my benefits. I wish I knew more about how to go about doing this stuff.

Guess I better figure out how someone with no money gets a lawyer.

Very often, a labor attorney will give you a free 1/2 hour to evaluate - just ask.

Have you even fucking called a lawyer yet?

Not yet. I was waiting to see if they could pull out a permanent position for me. (I know I'm stupid. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt)
Find all posts by this user
16-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Hobbit,
This is really your first test at fighting for your child. The most important thing right now is prenatal care. With that on the line you need to dig your heels in and speak up. Talk to the labor board, look up employment and/or discrimination lawyers. Make keeping your insurance and income your focus. You have years ahead of you that you are going to have to be the voice for your child and it starts now.

I feel pretty certain that given your nature your employer is banking on the fact that you aren't going to make waves. It's very possible that once they see that the labor board and/or an attorney is involved they will be singing a different song.

If an employee had fallen during the bad winter you had and suffered a bad break of a bone, one that required pins or plate, they would have lifting limitations. It's a temporary thing...would they be fired or downgraded?

Damnit Hobbit, get mad!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-04-2014, 12:34 PM
(16-04-2014 12:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Hobbit,
This is really your first test at fighting for your child. The most important thing right now is prenatal care. With that on the line you need to dig your heels in and speak up. Talk to the labor board, look up employment and/or discrimination lawyers. Make keeping your insurance and income your focus. You have years ahead of you that you are going to have to be the voice for your child and it starts now.

I feel pretty certain that given your nature your employer is banking on the fact that you aren't going to make waves. It's very possible that once they see that the labor board and/or an attorney is involved they will be singing a different song.

If an employee had fallen during the bad winter you had and suffered a bad break of a bone, one that required pins or plate, they would have lifting limitations. It's a temporary thing...would they be fired or downgraded?

Damnit Hobbit, get mad!

I actually have real hand knowledge of this.

My mother works for the company as well. She broke her back (After being told she had to do a two person lift by herself) She has been on "light duty" since. They havent really cut her hours too much. But they did give her an office job that she goes to 5 days a week (mind you she has to drive way more than her doctor limited 20 miles total a day to get to work...but THAT seems to be okay)

Fuck it. I'm mad. Im looking for a lawyer.
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
16-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Good...it's time to fight.

Also note that Oregon labor law does not allow retaliation either. Don't take any shit. Just keep doing your job and get the professional help you need.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

16-04-2014, 01:12 PM
(16-04-2014 12:34 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  My mother works for the company as well. She broke her back (After being told she had to do a two person lift by herself) She has been on "light duty" since. They havent really cut her hours too much. But they did give her an office job that she goes to 5 days a week (mind you she has to drive way more than her doctor limited 20 miles total a day to get to work...but THAT seems to be okay)

Likely 'cause they realized she had a legitimate workman's compensation claim and possible lawsuit against them.

(16-04-2014 12:34 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Fuck it. I'm mad. Im looking for a lawyer.

Like the others have said, call a lawyer. Some will even talk to you over the phone and in 5 minutes let you know your options for free as Chas indicated. But keep your head about you. Anger is good to get you motivated but after that emotionless rationality must reign or it could backfire. I don't like anger. I find it toxic.

Shouldn't this topic have been split into a different thread in the Personal Issues and Support section by now? ... Lazy mods. Tongue

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-04-2014, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2014 01:20 PM by Hobbitgirl.)
(16-04-2014 01:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 12:34 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  My mother works for the company as well. She broke her back (After being told she had to do a two person lift by herself) She has been on "light duty" since. They havent really cut her hours too much. But they did give her an office job that she goes to 5 days a week (mind you she has to drive way more than her doctor limited 20 miles total a day to get to work...but THAT seems to be okay)

Likely 'cause they realized she had a legitimate workman's compensation claim and possible lawsuit against them.

(16-04-2014 12:34 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Fuck it. I'm mad. Im looking for a lawyer.

Like the others have said, call a lawyer. Some will even talk to you over the phone and in 5 minutes let you know your options for free as Chas indicated. But keep your head about you. Anger is good to get you motivated but after that emotionless rationality must reign or it could backfire. I don't like anger. I find it toxic.

Shouldn't this topic have been split into a different thread in the Personal Issues and Support section by now? ... Lazy mods. Tongue

Yeah. Geez mods! Get to work. *Pretty please*

Don't worry Girly. I'll have a harder time being confrontational. I have no problems fighting for other people. But when I have to do it for myself I freeze up. I dont know why.
16-04-2014, 01:19 PM
All you have to do is ask and a mod will move it.

16-04-2014, 01:22 PM
(16-04-2014 01:17 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 01:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Likely 'cause they realized she had a legitimate workman's compensation claim and possible lawsuit against them.

Yeah. Geez mods! Get to work.

Don't worry Girly. I'll have a harder time being confrontational. I have no problems fighting for other people. But when I have to do it for myself I freeze up. I dont know why.

I consciously avoid it because I am well aware of the negative effects it has on me. Damage someone would do to me kicking my ass is less than the damage it would do to me kicking their ass. ... 'cept when I'm wearing my fundoshi. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-04-2014, 01:46 PM
(16-04-2014 01:17 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 01:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Likely 'cause they realized she had a legitimate workman's compensation claim and possible lawsuit against them.

Yeah. Geez mods! Get to work. *Pretty please*

You are fighting for your child. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post