Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
01-05-2014, 09:00 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(01-05-2014 08:57 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 08:55 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I know someone who said that death is "to glorify god"

Talking about dying children.

Those people need to be punched in the throat. Angry

Yes. They really do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
01-05-2014, 09:39 AM
(30-04-2014 06:19 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(30-04-2014 06:16 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Must not make dick joke, must not make dick joke.

I had one right on the tip of my tongue, too.

Now see... I thought ^^that reply^^ was the dick joke so... mmmmmyes...

In a theist crowded world, where would any of us be if we couldn't at the very least, start or end the day with a dick joke? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
01-05-2014, 10:43 AM
In response to me saying I'm not a feminist.

"how can you be a female and not a feminist?!"

Uh....easy?
01-05-2014, 10:45 AM
(01-05-2014 10:43 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  In response to me saying I'm not a feminist.

Uh....easy?

I think she means she's not one of those fallaciac feminists. (Fallacy feminists/the bitchy ones.)
Or she's an egalitarian.
Or she's not one of those.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
01-05-2014, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 11:03 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
(01-05-2014 10:43 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  In response to me saying I'm not a feminist.

Uh....easy?

And then a True Scotsman argument about how its only the EXTREMISTS that are that way, just like people could say that atheists are all crazy due to a few crazy atheists

*rolls eyes*
01-05-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm tempted to ask her why she isnt an atheist then, if its only the crazy ones that give it a bad name. It shouldnt matter if you dont buy into or not right?
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
01-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Friend:

But mostly because you are a woman and you should be OUTRAGED over the fact that women make up 51% of the population - we are NOT a minority - but we still get the short end of the stick. We get fewer career opportunities, less pay for the same jobs, and worst of all men try and make us believe that they have some right to tell us what we can and cannot do with our bodies. Do I support abortion as a birth control method? Absolutely not, use a condom or take the pill. But I don't think we should close abortion clinics because all that's going to do is drive women to having back alley abortions with coat hangers and endanger their lives. And it pisses me off that women are the ones who get pregnant and women are the ones who have given birth to every human on the planet but women are still treated like the "lesser" sex. If a pregnant man were in your situation do you think a doctor would give him a weight restriction that would cause him to lose all of his hours at work? No. Because men are "strong" and they are macho and they can handle it.

Me: You're grouping all men together. Not all men tell us that. Most men I know think women -should- have equal opprotunity. THATS what I dont like. By saying that youre the same as those men you cant stand
01-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Friend: No, all men don't. I never said ALL men do. I am talking about a specific group when I say "men" - those middle aged wealthy men who tend to get elected as politicians and become lawyers and judges and then try to tell women what they can and cannot do with their own bodies. And there are women who agree with those men But by and large the people who are responsible for the insane laws restricting women's health care are men. OBVIOUSLY I know all men don't as this entire conversation is happening on a status that is a quote from a man who is a self-proclaimed feminist"

Um....ISNT THAT WHAT SHE JUST SAID?!
01-05-2014, 11:22 AM
(01-05-2014 11:12 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Friend:

But mostly because you are a woman and you should be OUTRAGED over the fact that women make up 51% of the population - we are NOT a minority - but we still get the short end of the stick. We get fewer career opportunities, less pay for the same jobs, and worst of all men try and make us believe that they have some right to tell us what we can and cannot do with our bodies. Do I support abortion as a birth control method? Absolutely not, use a condom or take the pill. But I don't think we should close abortion clinics because all that's going to do is drive women to having back alley abortions with coat hangers and endanger their lives. And it pisses me off that women are the ones who get pregnant and women are the ones who have given birth to every human on the planet but women are still treated like the "lesser" sex. If a pregnant man were in your situation do you think a doctor would give him a weight restriction that would cause him to lose all of his hours at work? No. Because men are "strong" and they are macho and they can handle it.

Me: You're grouping all men together. Not all men tell us that. Most men I know think women -should- have equal opprotunity. THATS what I dont like. By saying that youre the same as those men you cant stand

This sounds like professional victimhood, not equal rights. It's crap like this that make me assert even stronger that I'm not for the rights of any particular group. I'm for the rights of all humans. I don't believe in women's rights, I believe in human rights.

I also take extreme issue with her pointing out that women are NOT a minority. It's divisive and irrelevant. It matters not whether any group is a minority or not. They are human beings and deserve rights. period. No divisive language or exclusionary wording needed.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
01-05-2014, 11:32 AM
(01-05-2014 11:22 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 11:12 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Friend:

This sounds like professional victimhood, not equal rights. It's crap like this that make me assert even stronger that I'm not for the rights of any particular group. I'm for the rights of all humans. I don't believe in women's rights, I believe in human rights.

I also take extreme issue with her pointing out that women are NOT a minority. It's divisive and irrelevant. It matters not whether any group is a minority or not. They are human beings and deserve rights. period. No divisive language or exclusionary wording needed.

Me:
But that IS what you said. You didnt make that distinction, you just said "men" You only changed it when I pointed it out. How does that look? What would most people think if they read that? Now I know you well enough to know what you mean, but how does that look to someone who wouldnt know. It would look like "well men are evil bastards" Maybe the problem is the language isnt clear enough.

Basically that is my point. I prefer to look at things as "As people we need to make sure that peoples rights are insured" If someone doesnt agree with that then they shouldnt be in political office.

There is no rational reason why women shouldnt be able to make decisions over their own body. There is no rational reason why women should make less money than men. People should get equal pay for equal work. Its insane that as a country we allow it to go differently. but thats what we have got to fight to change.

what part of that don't you agree with? Does my not being a feminist make my passion for social change any less?"

Okay I'm done. LOL
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post