Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
09-08-2012, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 09:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Ranting corner
(09-08-2012 08:57 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  8 job applications.
Everything from nightclub bouncer to airport baggage handler to fancy watch seller (don't have high hopes for that one).
And not a single fucking phone call...

I should probably get a move on with this business plan at this rate...

Let me know what you got in mind. ... I'm thinking I got to start my own business for the sake of my offspring. ... Not sure they can get the job I got anymore unless I create it.
Hint: There are a number of programmers here. Wink

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-08-2012, 10:13 PM
(09-08-2012 09:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 08:57 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  8 job applications.
Everything from nightclub bouncer to airport baggage handler to fancy watch seller (don't have high hopes for that one).
And not a single fucking phone call...

I should probably get a move on with this business plan at this rate...

Let me know what you got in mind. ... I'm thinking I got to start my own business for the sake of my offspring. ... Not sure they can get the job I got anymore unless I create it.

Consider
Programmers you say.
I never did like the idea of web based business. Your business relies entirely on marketing to begin with and you need a LOT of traffic in order to actually make any money. Plus when it goes tits up because you've run out of money for marketing you don't have anything physical in which you could sell off.

Like say I have a shop, I purchase the space and all the merchandise etc.. I have foot traffic that walk past, I have car traffic, I have people that live and work nearby. You have like, natural marketing. And if I went tits up, I have left over merchandise, I have space (unless I lease) etc.. I have assets basically.

And talking about assets, with a website just starting that has next to no traffic you don't have an asset. You can't go to bank and get money to buy things you may need because that website is worthless.

But I don't know, I don't know much about web based businesses. My knowledge of interwebz businesses involves that of the internet bubble that collapsed (for the reason that websites are worthless until you actually start making money) in the 90's.

I suppose the bonus however is the potential for a wider audience. I mean lets be honest here, NZ's GDP is 60billion a year (90 US). It's not exactly the biggest market. And most of that is dairy.

So unless I learn more about it I'm not keen on website based business (though admittedly it would be the easiest for my current situation, I might actually research into it further this afternoon). I don't want to go into hospitality. Restaurants are are no go for me. 1) There is way way too many. 2) They rely on trends, you can have the 'hottest' restaurant one day and the next day it's your neighbor. Plus I've worked in one, I know how much food gets wasted, all I saw was $$$ down the waste disposal. Hotels are also a no-go (don't have the initial capital anyway). The only potential food thing I would get into would be super markets because people use them weekly and everyone's gotta eat. But again, not enough capital.
I wouldn't mind a gas station. I walked past the perfect spot every day last year, and every day I thought to myself what a wonder spot for a gas station. Right at the end of the motorway, middle of the CBD, big open space (has a little auto-repair shop on it, such a waste of space). I know the day to day operations of a gas station and with my degree I'd have the know how. Plus petrol is always a big seller, and gas stations make a killing off the food they sell in store (where like 99% of the profit comes from).
Potential a video game store simply because I know video games and in fact they are my second greatest passion. The problem with that being that there is just so many places to buy video games, online, electronic goods stores, the warehouse (our wal mart) etc... And this shitty country isn't big on video games.

See this is why I haven't done it already. I know exactly what I want in the future (Shipping Company and later a Holding Company), but I don't know what I want in order to get there now.

I'm gonna do some research into internet based websites it could potentially be a good starting point while I'm still doing my studies.
10-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Looks like there may be a rider on our homeowner's insurance that will cover the water line repair. Sure hope the adjuster agrees, would mean a $500.00 deductible...a lot easier to swallow than having to pay for the whole thing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-08-2012, 05:59 PM
(09-08-2012 10:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 09:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Let me know what you got in mind. ... I'm thinking I got to start my own business for the sake of my offspring. ... Not sure they can get the job I got anymore unless I create it.

Consider
Programmers you say.
I never did like the idea of web based business.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about selling programming skills. Need a relational database designed and normalized, I can help. Got a big data problem and you need Hadoop and MapReduce, I can help. Need a web service, I can help. Got an idea for a mobile app, I can help. Need a desktop app, I can help. Got a cool ass research algorithm that needs to be hardened and optimized, I can help. Need a website for your business, well I can't help but DeepThought can. Basically talking about an IT company doing software piecework. There's a shitload out there already, though, so I need to think of some distinguishing characteristic which makes for a different business model. Maybe I don't charge for the work, but I get a piece of the pie instead. Consider

#sigh
10-08-2012, 09:24 PM
(10-08-2012 05:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 10:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Consider
Programmers you say.
I never did like the idea of web based business.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about selling programming skills. Need a relational database designed and normalized, I can help. Got a big data problem and you need Hadoop and MapReduce, I can help. Need a web service, I can help. Got an idea for a mobile app, I can help. Need a desktop app, I can help. Got a cool ass research algorithm that needs to be hardened and optimized, I can help. Need a website for your business, well I can't help but DeepThought can. Basically talking about an IT company doing software piecework. There's a shitload out there already, though, so I need to think of some distinguishing characteristic which makes for a different business model. Maybe I don't charge for the work, but I get a piece of the pie instead. Consider

Oh I see I see.
Cheers, I shall keep this in mind. Consider

Oh and so that $200 'infringement' I got doesn't look to be going away, they sent me a letter today in regards to my email basically saying pay up or we'll take you to court.
So I sent another email.
Quote:Dear Wellington City Council

In reference to my infringement number xxxxxxxxxx.
I tried to explain my situation to you in my last email. You can't have understood because yous till expect the full amount to be paid before the 23rd of this month so I will explain again.
I am a university student. I have no money. Demanding that the $200 is paid by the 23rd or threatening me with court action is not going to magically make $200 appear in my bank account.
So either you allow me to pay this off over a period of time or you tell me how much it will cost me to take this to the district court because that's where it's gonna end up and so might as well go there sooner rather then later.

Yours faithfully

A poor out of work university student who can't afford petrol let alone a $200 ticket the Wellington city council is coercion him into paying before a strict deadline.
11-08-2012, 01:09 PM
(10-08-2012 09:24 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh and so that $200 'infringement' I got doesn't look to be going away, they sent me a letter today in regards to my email basically saying pay up or we'll take you to court.
So I sent another email.
[quote]Dear Wellington City Council

In reference to my infringement number xxxxxxxxxx.
I tried to explain my situation to you in my last email. You can't have understood because yous till expect the full amount to be paid before the 23rd of this month so I will explain again.
I am a university student. I have no money. Demanding that the $200 is paid by the 23rd or threatening me with court action is not going to magically make $200 appear in my bank account.
So either you allow me to pay this off over a period of time or you tell me how much it will cost me to take this to the district court because that's where it's gonna end up and so might as well go there sooner rather then later.

Yours faithfully

A poor out of work university student who can't afford petrol let alone a $200 ticket the Wellington city council is coercion him into paying before a strict deadline.

Been there, done that. Ended up doing community service to repay my debt to society. Spent a week repainting the courthouse. But to be honest, the courthouse did need repainting and my behavior did warrant correction. There are more ways to get blood from a stone than you might think. Wink

#sigh
12-08-2012, 12:21 AM
12-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Triple digit heat...again...and I am obligated to go to a kid birthday party at a park, there is evidently no shade, you must bring your own. Will be tons of people I don't know...tons of kids, and yuck all around. Plan to show up early and escape early. BLAH!

What the hell kind of park is it that doesn't even put up picnic shelters? HoboSadcryfaceWeeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
12-08-2012, 11:09 AM
(09-08-2012 08:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 04:40 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  My Gwynnies on this silly iPad... Imma gonna die. Big Grin

I'm watching Gwynnies right now playing the role of Polly Perkins.

Hm: Pepper Potts/Polly Perkins Consider

My favorite is: Dixie... Dixie Normus. Tongue

That is actually one of my favorite movie lines... I'm a sucker for spontaneous absurdity. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-08-2012, 03:15 PM
so I just re-read my CV...

No fucking wonder I'm not getting any job interviews!!!!
so many mistakes all through it.

Needless to say they are now corrected but I can't just go re-apply for those 8 jobs..
Oh well, hopefully I get this counseling job. If anyone asks, earmuffs is a very relatable, empathetic person...