Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 5 Average
18-01-2013, 12:02 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(17-01-2013 11:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Missed you too Near.

So today was... productive. seriously, it was actually really productive.

Also I knew my landlord was awesome, but I was talking to him for like an hour and a half and that guy is fucking awesome.
He may also have some rooms in some of his other flats that need someone (ie: me) so he's gonna get back to me about that. That'll be good, having a goo landlord is always a plus.
The thing is, he's the sort of person whom if you want to get into business, you wanna know him because he's got "all the friends".

OH, and while I was at an appointment today (prior to my chat with my landlord) to view potential flats, I was observing the guy showing me around, a property manager, and I think I have found my potential business.
Property management. Think about it, it's cheap to set up (relatively), location isn't important (unlike retail) as you just rent some office space (which there is plenty of I might add). And I think it would be a.. busy job, but not a relatively difficult one. It's something you can start off small with, and then hire more people, get more clients etc.. and finally get to the point where it pretty much runs itself. It's something you can brand and can be a brand people recognize sort of thing. It's not like selling a cola drink and competing with Coke Cola, what I mean by that is brand related again.
People always need places to stay and the number of people renting is going up and up. It also offers potential for my own property investment, especially as I would quickly learn how the market works etc...
Seriously, property management, it's fucking perfect.

Awesome! Good for you!

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Ya know, when I'm finished with this shitty degree, or I'm working again, I'm so gonna eat nice food. Like every day. Sick of eatting cheap shitty food. I want nice freshly cooked bread with some nice fresh shaved cold beef on top, and be able to put nice cheese top and put it under the grill until the cheese melts.

Sick of... noodles. Not even good noodles!

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
19-01-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm not noodly at all....I can't look at a plate of pasta without thinking of that flying spaghetti monster...

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

19-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Use the money you would save by not buying Vanilla Coke to buy some decent food.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-01-2013, 02:00 AM
What the $2 I spent on Vanilla coke?

I don't think you understand the difference in price between decent food and crap food.

example. If someone wants to buy 1kg of apples, that will cost $4.99. Now say that is a mother on a tight budget buying food for the kids lunches. 1kg of apples is how many apples? 5? Say 6 apples.
An apple per kid per day, say she has two kids, that's $4.99 for not even a school week.
Now go to the chip isle (Yes I know I spelled it wrong). You can get a packet of 14 of those little bags of chips (so 14 little bags of chips) for about $4.99. Same as the apples.
Except, 1 bag of chips per child per day, with 2 kids is 7 school days as opposed to the 5 school days with the apples.

It's ridiculous. It is no wonder that the number of obese kids is on the rise, it's not because the parents don't want to feed them good food, it's that they can't afford to feed them good food.
Look at frozen vegetables. I can pick up a small packet of frozen peas, carrots and corn for the same price as frozen chips (the hot chips, not crisps) or a frozen pizza. And I can tell you now that the chips and pizza will feed you a lot more then peas, carrots and corn, not to mention peas carrots and corn aren't exactly a meal in themselves. Which brings you to meat. Meat is soo soo soo fucking expensive it's no wonder vegetarianism is on the rise. 1kg of mince, $18 WTF!! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!! Let alone chops or chicken. I can't even get cheap thin bits of meat to chop up to put into a stir fry because that's even more expensive then fucking mince!

Oh god, and don't even get me started on dairy!! WHY THE FUCK IS IT THAT I LIVE IN A COUNTRY THAT'S BIGGEST INDUSTRY IS DAIRY BUT I HAVE TO PAY $10!!!!! FOR A BLOCK OF CHEESE!!! WWHHAATT TTHHEE FFUUCCKK!!! (don't answer that it's rhetorical, I do know the answer).

If the government didn't charge GST on fruit and veg and on things like bread and milk then perhaps families, and people like myself (poor lazy university students) would be able to eat healthy good food at an affordable price and obesity, especially in children and in the poor, would not be skyrocketing.
We tax things like tobacco and alcohol heavily because of the negative side effects on society yet we leave extremely unhealthy food like most junk food completely untouched?
Like I know all things in moderation blah blah, and I agree, but when you look at it financially it's total bullshit.
The idea behind all things in moderation is that one has a choice between this that and the other and that choice for a lot of people, and those most effected as a result, is not financially there.

I think I may have gone off on a bit of a tangent there.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
19-01-2013, 02:07 AM
So... Why is the price of dairy absurdly high?

Surly GST alone cannot account for that.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
19-01-2013, 02:29 AM
(19-01-2013 02:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So... Why is the price of dairy absurdly high?

Surly GST alone cannot account for that.
Simple answer, because Fonterra (our largest company, and the largest dairy company in the world I believe if I am not mistaken), thanks to our free trade agreement with China, can export their goods to China for a high price then what they can sell them on our shelves here and so they up their prices. They'd export it all if it wasn't law that they had to meet a certain number of goods sold locally.
Long story short, we (New Zealanders) are competing against Chinese, Europeans, you Aussies etc.. etc.. (but especially the Chinese) to eat our own dairy products because they are in such high demand all around the world.

19-01-2013, 02:34 AM
Sooo... You need more cows or better laws increasing the base amount of stock items they provide whilst also keeping the price within a fair range to elicit more competition between dairy farmers/corporations?

economics aint my area.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
19-01-2013, 02:53 AM
(19-01-2013 02:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Sooo... You need more cows or better laws increasing the base amount of stock items they provide whilst also keeping the price within a fair range to elicit more competition between dairy farmers/corporations?

economics aint my area.

No, we need either to cancel free trade agreements with everyone and raise tariffs so it's ridiculously expensive to export goods. OR China the EU and Australia need to produce their own bloody dairy (or at least raise production to a point where it just floods the market).

The problem however is that the free trade with China is what keeps the price of a new pair of shoes down, or pretty much any other Chinese made good for that matter. Also, because we're a small nation of 4million, opening up the world for our manufacturing and dairy to export too increases the market of potential buyers and thus increase production which is good for the country.

So while I could in theory have cheaper milk by the government making this country an isolated one economically, the price and quality of everything else would skyrocket.

aka, swings and round abouts.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
19-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Okay, while I never could get into the whole Pitt worship, as he's blander than vanilla and equally cloying, I can at least see why some may like him. But since when is this the epitome of male attractiveness?!
[Image: John-Cena-562300-1-402.jpg]

[Image: 220px-John_Cena_134616.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."