Rap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Rap
So, I'm not big into rap. In fact, most of the ego-driven, primitive flashiness of being the biggest alpha-dog in the hood or in the industry drives me crazy. I prefer the dark, angry, chaotic sounds of apocalyptic Metal any day.

BUT, there are a few choice rap songs that have caught my ear. Mostly, it seems that I'm drawn to the atmosphere. The songs tend to be slower in tempo and more dark than most of what I've heard before. A few examples are provided below for reference.

I'm not against listening to rap if it sounds good (to me), and the songs listed above are pretty much what I'm looking for. Again, it's that dark atmosphere that I like. Anyone know of anything along these lines that I can look into?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2014, 04:05 PM
RE: Rap
(12-12-2014 03:45 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So, I'm not big into rap. In fact, most of the ego-driven, primitive flashiness of being the biggest alpha-dog in the hood or in the industry drives me crazy.

To me, that pretty much sounds like

"I'm not big into metal, because it's all black and depressing."

"I'm not big into rock, because it's all about sex and drugs."

"I'm not big into classical, because it's just for little girls to dance to."

Or something like that Tongue

I grew up listening to a lot of Greek rap, and let me tell you, it taught me a lot about art, politics and society. There's nothing inherently egotistic or flashy in rap music, just make sure you can find the good stuff (which is usually undergound) Thumbsup

Oh, and I only know about Greek rap music, so I can't recommend something you'd be interested in I guess.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
12-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Haven't seriously listened to any rap for quite a long time. I also prefer the slower, darker stuff. I don't have any current examples, but I'll throw it back to Snoop for the shit I listened to when I was younger.

Also never heard a bad track from Cypress Hill.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
12-12-2014, 04:46 PM
If it's gonna be Cypress Hill, it's gotta be "(Rock) Superstar" Thumbsup

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
12-12-2014, 06:19 PM
My friend used to listen to alot of Brotha Lynch. I don't know about dark, but "eatin bloody clits, and baby killa shit" coulda been Cannibal Corpse/Morbid Angel quality lyrics! Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
13-12-2014, 12:00 AM
(12-12-2014 03:45 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So, I'm not big into rap. In fact, most of the ego-driven, primitive flashiness of being the biggest alpha-dog in the hood or in the industry drives me crazy. I prefer the dark, angry, chaotic sounds of apocalyptic Metal any day.

You know what I don't associate with Metal?
Ego and a wont to be successful expressing itself in an over the top look to separate oneself from the "normals" and fierce competition with other bands.
Nothing like that in the metal scene. Not a single thing.

If I'm honest rap also isn't really my sound but I think you'll be well served by:

Anything by Immortal Technique. The best example:

I'm not really familiar with Tech N9ne but I do know Cult Leader is excellent:

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
13-12-2014, 07:29 AM

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
13-12-2014, 08:24 AM
(12-12-2014 03:45 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So, I'm not big into rap. In fact, most of the ego-driven, primitive flashiness of being the biggest alpha-dog in the hood or in the industry drives me crazy. I prefer the dark, angry, chaotic sounds of apocalyptic Metal any day.

BUT, there are a few choice rap songs that have caught my ear. Mostly, it seems that I'm drawn to the atmosphere. The songs tend to be slower in tempo and more dark than most of what I've heard before.

I'm going to recommend two albums to you based on these criteria. The first is Dead Celebrity Status' latest album "The Throwaway Kids". (Their debut, "Blood Music", is also exceptional, but hard to find.)

The second is "Let the Children Die" by D-Sisive. It was his comeback after the death of his father, and the album is one of the most deeply personal ones you'll ever hear in rap.

As alternatives, you might also enjoy "Natural Progression" by Sweatshop Union, or "Steal This Album" by The Coup.

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes MegaHentai's post
13-12-2014, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2014 02:16 PM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
I can't stand the vast majority of rap. Even an appealing tune can't give any real value to the common themes. I prefer something different and unexpected; thought provoking.

My favorite rap album, by far, is Deltron 3030. It's basically a futuristic space-rap opera. Here's a track from it:

Then you've got this chart:

[Image: hiphop.png]

Which brings us to the vocab king, Aesop Rock... At 7300+ words, he shouldn't even be on the chart

13-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Here's another group that ranks up the vocab chart.

And these guys are a little more basic, but they're still fantastic.