Rate Your Latest Live Concert

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2017, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2017 12:59 PM by Dark Light.)
Rate Your Latest Live Concert
I know there have got to be some concert goers here besides myself, but don't recall a thread on this topic.

Iron Maiden w/Ghost
I just saw Iron Maiden with opener Ghost a few days ago. Fantastic show. Bruce Dickinson has the energy of a teenager, and his vocals have not yet been ravaged by the passage of time, like some of my favorite older bands. I would definitely go see them again if they came back through town. My only regret was they didn't play many of my personal favorites, but maybe next time they well. At least I got to sing along to Number of the Beast. Their newest album has some decent tracks as well. Ghost, who I was already somewhat familiar with, put on a good show as well, and performed well, just not my particular cup of tea. Not bad, but I won't be adding any news songs to my playlists.

Last month I saw A Perfect Circle w/Prayers.
APC was another bucket list show for me. The band performed great, and they played pretty much everything I could've reasonably hoped for. They performed two newer songs, yet to be released, and I didn't care for them, one in particular, but the music was definitely on point. I'd love to go see them play again, but seeing as this was their first tour in 6 years (last album was 13 years ago), I won't hold my breath. The opener was complete garbage. Two LA cholo gang-banger looking guys playing a CD and screeching autistically into a microphone turned up too loud with a tune of 'effects' on the "singer's" voice. Fucking terrible. I walked away just to get away from the noise. It hurt my brain. The rest of the audience was booing, the singer was hostile to the booing crowd. I don't know what the fuck APC was thinking when they agreed to tour with them. If you want to see this APC this year, show up to the venue an hour late.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
16-06-2017, 01:09 PM
RE: Rate Your Latest Live Concert
I like all kinds of music, but I rarely go to rock concerts anymore, because I like to see the band as well as hear them, and I'm too old to stand for 3 hours. So my recent concert experiences have been mostly classical and jazz music, where the audiences are more civilized. You can sit in your seat and relax and still see and hear the concert!

The most recent one was the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, playing Mahler's 3rd symphony. It's a very long (more than 90 minutes) symphony, with vocal parts (soprano and chorus) as well as the orchestra, but it's a fantastic piece of music if you like Mahler, and the orchestra and singers did a great job with it.

Last concert before that was Zakir Hussain (tabla) and Rahul Sharma (santoor), playing Indian music which was largely improvised. The santoor is a string instrument played with hammers, sort of like a dulcimer, and the tabla is a pair of tuned hand drums. Hussain may be the world's best tabla player (he is certainly one of the best), and he was the main reason I went. They were both great. I left at intermission (after a 90-minute+ first set), only because this concert was downtown on a Saturday night, when the bus doesn't run as late as weeknights, and I was afraid of missing the last bus and having to walk 7 or 8 miles home at Midnight. I would have loved to stay for the second half if I had a way home, because they were mesmerizing.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
16-06-2017, 01:47 PM
The heroes of my childhood don't come to where I live anymore. So it's been quite a while since I was at my last concert. It was the Who, 20 years ago and it was great.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
16-06-2017, 03:04 PM
It was a few years ago, but I saw the last two Rush shows at the ACC in Toronto.

I'm actually in the concert video... in a crowd panning shot, for about 1/2 second.

It was both awesomesauce and extremely emotional, given that Neil's now officially retired and has refused to tour again.

I grew up to Rush and other prog-rock icons, so it was a fitting good-bye.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
16-06-2017, 08:50 PM
(16-06-2017 03:04 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  It was a few years ago, but I saw the last two Rush shows at the ACC in Toronto.

I'm actually in the concert video... in a crowd panning shot, for about 1/2 second.

It was both awesomesauce and extremely emotional, given that Neil's now officially retired and has refused to tour again.

I grew up to Rush and other prog-rock icons, so it was a fitting good-bye.

My regular concert companions went and saw them last year, and I didn't get to get, which will probably haunt me forever. I love Rush - but, from what I heard, they still will continue to do concerts, just not full-blown tours, so I'm still holding out hope I can see them. They may decide they miss touring and renege as well. Lots of bands have. One of my concert companions said, though he loved the show, that Geddy's voice was pretty strained hitting some of the notes he nails on the album. Not sure if he has permanently lost his ability to wail as a symptom of the ravages of time, or if it was exhaustion, or maybe just an off night. What was your experience with his vocals?

Earlier I was fortunate to see Blue Oyster Cult. Those guys are still rocking the house at smaller veues. Perfection. There is the an asterisk, because two of the members are replacements for the originals, but the two originals are in their late sixties and early seventies, and still kicking ass. I was very impressed.
17-06-2017, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2017 05:34 AM by Heath_Tierney.)
(16-06-2017 08:50 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ... Geddy's voice was pretty strained hitting some of the notes he nails on the album. Not sure if he has permanently lost his ability to wail as a symptom of the ravages of time, or if it was exhaustion, or maybe just an off night. What was your experience with his vocals?
I was actually pretty impressed. When they brought out the double-necks and started playing late '70s/early '80s stuff, I was wondering if he still had the chops to hit those high things. But he nailed them. It's all on the concert video.

[Image: rs-199710-R1238_FEA_Rush_E.jpg]

Let's hope that they'll do the occasional one- or two-off shows. I haven't heard any rumours about shows like that though (granted, I have zero contacts inside the Rush machine). It's pretty hard to make money doing that and I'm not as optimistic about it given Neil's decision to retire. And Rush without Neil isn't Rush.
19-06-2017, 10:44 AM
(17-06-2017 05:18 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 08:50 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ... Geddy's voice was pretty strained hitting some of the notes he nails on the album. Not sure if he has permanently lost his ability to wail as a symptom of the ravages of time, or if it was exhaustion, or maybe just an off night. What was your experience with his vocals?
I was actually pretty impressed. When they brought out the double-necks and started playing late '70s/early '80s stuff, I was wondering if he still had the chops to hit those high things. But he nailed them. It's all on the concert video.

[Image: rs-199710-R1238_FEA_Rush_E.jpg]

Let's hope that they'll do the occasional one- or two-off shows. I haven't heard any rumours about shows like that though (granted, I have zero contacts inside the Rush machine). It's pretty hard to make money doing that and I'm not as optimistic about it given Neil's decision to retire. And Rush without Neil isn't Rush.

Maybe he is planning the semi-retired thing? I don't know, and what I've said is not from 'inside the Rush machine'. Don't really remember where I saw or heard that. I did watch their most recent TV Program (I think). Spotted Neil reading God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

19-06-2017, 06:56 PM
(19-06-2017 10:44 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Maybe he is planning the semi-retired thing? I don't know, and what I've said is not from 'inside the Rush machine'. Don't really remember where I saw or heard that. I did watch their most recent TV Program (I think). Spotted Neil reading God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

When Neil was off for a few years, Geddy did a solo album called My Favourite Headache with Ben Mink (I guess Geddy and Ben have been friends for years starting when FM was the opening act) which was, well, outstanding. Not Rush, of course, but still great stuff. And Alex did a thing called Victor which didn't receive the accolades I think it deserved.

As much as I'd like to see Geddy do something solo again, I don't think anything is planned. But who knows?
19-06-2017, 07:08 PM
The last concert I actually bought tickets for was Pearl Jam and they put on an awesome show (as to be expected).

Working for the FD affords us a lot of access to bands that the general public doesn't get. Every year we have a huge outdoor festival and I was standing backstage and was literally 20' from Chris Robinson when the Black Crowes came to town. It's pretty cool standing on stage with the band and getting to see what most people never get to witness. A huge sea of people cheering and just hearing / seeing the band up close and personal. They were really cool also as I got to talk with them a bit on the walk back to their trailer. I didn't ask for an autograph since for some reason I've always felt that was something they get asked constantly. Just being able to talk to the band was enough for me.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
19-06-2017, 07:32 PM
You are going to laugh. In 1972 (I was 20) Yes one of my mechanic friends asked me if I'd go to a Grateful Dead concert with his son (18). He paid. I don't even like the GD. But I went, what the hell. Only live concert I've ever been to. If I went to a concert now, I'd get arrested for breaking the fingers of all those assholes who have to whistle the whole time to show their appreciation. I can't stand that shit; it ruins the whole vibe for me. Maybe I'm on the Autistic spectrum, who knows?
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post