Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
17-05-2012, 09:46 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
I'm always angry...

And then - REVELATION!

Big Grin

Hulk was always the strongest, but this time he out-did himself. A movie for the throne.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2012, 10:05 AM
[Image: 761.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
17-05-2012, 11:57 AM
(07-05-2012 04:00 PM)lucradis Wrote:  What's wrong with comic book movies?

Most of the time they are pretty cheesy, but so what? Better than another human centipede.
Let's see.

Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Blade (all of em)
Daredevil
Fantastic Four
Flash
Ghost Rider
Hellboy
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Judge Dredd (i actually kinda like this one)
Punisher (worst fucking moive ever made)
Spawn
Spiderman (all of em)
X-Men (i'll allow the first one)

That's an incredibly horrible list of movies.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
17-05-2012, 12:22 PM
@Germanyt
Hulk (2003) was sucky, yeah.
But The Incredible Hulk was pretty good!

I saw Dark Shadows last week, funny enough, 7/9.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
17-05-2012, 01:16 PM
GermanyT didn't like IronMan...

Were you ever a Marvel comics fan?

And X-Men 2 > X-Men 1 & 3 put together

First Class was great too.

Are you one of those people that walk into a comic book movie and go "Wow, that is so fake!"

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like NoahsFarce's post
17-05-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm not as bad as my comicbook guy.
He's still pissed at Kate Bosworth for Superman Returns, I didn't think it was that bad.
I'm just disappointed that the superhero genre can hardly go beyond the origin story.
But then again, I guess I will never be satisfied again until I see something as good as Heroes.
Love it or hate it, it was a perfect translation of DC Comics to the screen.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
17-05-2012, 01:53 PM
(17-05-2012 01:16 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  GermanyT didn't like IronMan...

Are you one of those people that walk into a comic book movie and go "Wow, that is so fake!"

I've never read a comic book before. And fake only bothers me when the movie is supposed to be real. Like Transporter for example. It's supposed to be a real life action movie. Not a magical physics defying sci fi action movie.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
17-05-2012, 02:46 PM
(17-05-2012 01:53 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 01:16 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  GermanyT didn't like IronMan...

I've never read a comic book before. And fake only bothers me when the movie is supposed to be real. Like Transporter for example. It's supposed to be a real life action movie. Not a magical physics defying sci fi action movie.

Eh, Transporter never makes a claim that it's even the least bit real. Just pure mindless action. I have a problem with fake when a movie makes claims of accuracy or truth.

"Based on True Events"

More like "We heard a story and now here's our take".

Since you've never read a comic book, I don't think you are in the position to be deeming comic book movies bad or making fun of those who have and watch the movies that follow them.

That's like me, a man who doesn't follow sports at all, calling a team bad and the fans that like them silly.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
17-05-2012, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2012 04:28 PM by germanyt.)
(17-05-2012 02:46 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 01:53 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I've never read a comic book before. And fake only bothers me when the movie is supposed to be real. Like Transporter for example. It's supposed to be a real life action movie. Not a magical physics defying sci fi action movie.

Eh, Transporter never makes a claim that it's even the least bit real. Just pure mindless action. I have a problem with fake when a movie makes claims of accuracy or truth.

"Based on True Events"

Since you've never read a comic book, I don't think you are in the position to be deeming comic book movies bad or making fun of those who have and watch the movies that follow them.

That's like me, a man who doesn't follow sports at all, calling a team bad and the fans that like them silly.
Not really. I'm not a comic book fan but I am a movie fan. You're analogy is more along the lines of saying a person can't comment on a football game because they never played football. Transporter is a movie that takes place on the real Earth. It's not a movie about wizards or vampires. It's about real people in a real place driving real cars. When a real Audi does a barrell roll to crane hook a bomb off the chassis and then lands without a scratch on the car or driver it ruins the realism of the action and destroys the movie. That's not why I don't like comic book movies though. I don't like them because they most often have bad acting, bad scripts, unrealistic character relationships, and usually bad special effects and stunts. And they aren't made by people who are genuinely concerned with movie quality or because they have an obsession with comics. They are made by studios to rake in as much money as possible. Ever notice the shittiest movies are usually the ones that will have 2 or 3 sequels? I mean, why wouldn't they? Make a shit movie and slap Marvel or DC on the poster and herds of followers show up to watch it.

-Mark Twain
17-05-2012, 04:38 PM
(17-05-2012 04:24 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 02:46 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Eh, Transporter never makes a claim that it's even the least bit real. Just pure mindless action. I have a problem with fake when a movie makes claims of accuracy or truth.

"Based on True Events"

Not really. I'm not a comic book fan but I am a movie fan. You're analogy is more along the lines of saying a person can't comment on a football game because they never played football. Transporter is a movie that takes place on the real Earth. It's not a movie about wizards or vampires. It's about real people in a real place driving real cars. When a real Audi does a barrell roll to crane hook a bomb off the chassis and then lands without a scratch on the car or driver it ruins the realism of the action and destroys the movie.
No, my analogy is perfectly sound IMO. I am not a football fan. I don't follow it whatsoever. Therefore, I am not in the position to watch a football game then call the losing team bad because they fumbled or whatever else it is that they do to lose. I can say I either enjoyed watching the event or didn't.

That doesn't mean that I'm not a fan of sports. I love sports. Just not football. Doesn't mean I can sit here and say, "Haha, you football fans are silly for liking it. It's a bad sport."

Yes, you might be a movie fan, but by not being a comic book fan as well, your reasons for disliking a comic book movie will be quite different than someone who is both a movie and a comic book fan. You don't get the full experience of these comic book movies and that's flat out fact. Even the most fanatic admirers of comic book movies don't get the full experience if they have never touched a comic book in their life.

How can they possibly? If you in fact loved the Avengers, I'd wager a bet that I thoroughly enjoyed it more than you for reasons you won't understand since you don't know even the tiniest bit about the comics.

What's ironic to me here is that most of those first generation (of the modern era) Marvel films that you listed as being bad were before Marvel became a studio. Most of them were just Hollywood trying to cater completely to non comic fans. That resulted in garbage like the first Hulk and the Fantastic Four. On the flip side, some of the films like X-Men 3 tried to cater too-much by squeezing in every X-Men Universe character they possibly could into a couple of hours.

Sorry, this is just a pet peeve of mine. I grow tired of film critics, whom obviously have never even touched a comic book, giving these movies bad-ratings for reasons a comic book fan would find silly.

Anyway, what exactly is it about Iron Man that rubbed you the wrong way?

As for movies like the Transporter, just stay away from them if you can't handle the un-realistic action. And take especial care to avoid practically any Chinese Kung-Fu flick outside of Bruce Lee ones.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson