Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
26-07-2014, 12:33 AM
(25-07-2014 11:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I just watched the latest version of The Great Gatsby. With DiCrapio.

Sigh...

It's set in the JAZZ AGE, yet no Jazz...

All the symbolism watered down or just removed....

Stupid...

One Heart out of 5.

That's Baz Luhrmann for ya. His Romeo + Juliet was similar. He also made Moulin Rouge and Australia. Every one of his films features elements that make it look like a hand-painted music video. Also, the soundtrack in Moulin Rouge was similar. Set in Lautrec's era, yet playing covers of songs by Beck and Bowie.

I know he has a fanbase but I'm not among them.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
26-07-2014, 06:20 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Saw the new Hercules with The Rock last night, I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Though I can like movies with weak plot and lot's of action. Big Grin

I like the way they portrayed Hercules as basically a myth that had some elements of truth in them, people would just exaggerate his exploits and build on his myth.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-07-2014, 01:00 PM
(26-07-2014 12:33 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(25-07-2014 11:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I just watched the latest version of The Great Gatsby. With DiCrapio.

Sigh...

It's set in the JAZZ AGE, yet no Jazz...

All the symbolism watered down or just removed....

Stupid...

One Heart out of 5.

That's Baz Luhrmann for ya. His Romeo + Juliet was similar. He also made Moulin Rouge and Australia. Every one of his films features elements that make it look like a hand-painted music video. Also, the soundtrack in Moulin Rouge was similar. Set in Lautrec's era, yet playing covers of songs by Beck and Bowie.

Neither am I then, because I found it just stupid. The symbolism that was just lost hurt the story. F Scott Fitzgerald would roll in his grave if he saw it and cared anything for his characters.

Thanks I'll add those other films to my ever growing never watch list. Big Grin

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-07-2014, 11:58 AM
(26-07-2014 01:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(26-07-2014 12:33 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  That's Baz Luhrmann for ya. His Romeo + Juliet was similar. He also made Moulin Rouge and Australia. Every one of his films features elements that make it look like a hand-painted music video. Also, the soundtrack in Moulin Rouge was similar. Set in Lautrec's era, yet playing covers of songs by Beck and Bowie.

Neither am I then, because I found it just stupid. The symbolism that was just lost hurt the story. F Scott Fitzgerald would roll in his grave if he saw it and cared anything for his characters.

Thanks I'll add those other films to my ever growing never watch list. Big Grin

Did I forget to mention my wife is a fan of some of his films? We've watched all the ones I've mentioned. She keeps bugging me to watch Australia with her again. At least that's the only one she'll bug me to watch. She knows the others are intolerable. Actually, neither of us liked Gatsby much.

27-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Great! Now I need to retract something. Apparently Australia isn't a bad film. Not sure why I remembered it that way. It does have some (but less) of Luhrmann's bombast. But the story is good and he doesn't ruin it with too much art.

And it does make me cray at the end (jerk!).

27-07-2014, 04:39 PM
I watched Transcendence the other day. Which was good but could of been so much better and I rate 7/10.

Also The last stand which features a very old looking Arnie in a usual over the top plot filled with guns. Mindless entertainment with some funny bits and I rate 7/10.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
27-07-2014, 06:46 PM
(27-07-2014 04:39 PM)bemore Wrote:  I watched Transcendence the other day. Which was good but could of been so much better and I rate 7/10.

Also The last stand which features a very old looking Arnie in a usual over the top plot filled with guns. Mindless entertainment with some funny bits and I rate 7/10.

Watched Transcendence last night and I agree. It could've been a lot better but I loved the premise and the special effects were pretty good.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
27-07-2014, 07:33 PM
The last movie I saw is WarGames. I give it a 9.5/10, but I don't watch many movies so I don't have much to compare it to.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Saw Still Life today.
A rather depressing tale about a guy who is quite obsessed in his employment which involves finding the elusive loved ones of the recently deceased.A good feel movie it ain't, but the genre is rather different.
An interesting end, which I won't spoil for you......5/10
28-07-2014, 01:15 AM
Divergent. Now that's the shit!
8/10

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)