Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
08-10-2014, 05:30 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(07-10-2014 10:13 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 09:40 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Alien and then Aliens.

"They mostly come out at night.. mostly.."

First time I had seen them (peer pressured into watching them by flatmate) and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.
They were not half bad.

Not half bad? That's Ridley 'motherfukcin' Scott right there, with quite possibly one of the best sci-fi horror movies of all time. Followed by James 'kissmyass' Cameron, with the most iconic space marines that every movie and video since has ripped off from. Fucking seriously, everything from Warhammer to HALO needs to write Cameron a fat check, so that he can write an ever fatter check to Robert A. Heinlein for Starship Troopers. Tongue

I mostly watch non-sci-fy horror movies... mostly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-10-2014, 05:45 PM
(07-10-2014 09:40 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Alien and then Aliens.

"They mostly come out at night.. mostly.."

First time I had seen them (peer pressured into watching them by flatmate) and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.
They were not half bad.

Aliens is probably still my favorite movie, ever Big Grin I saw it when I was a kid, so then it was all "demonic looking monsters vs giant forklift robot?????... Fuck! Yes!" Laugh out load
Even now, though, with their complete lack of fear, and utter disregard for casualties that can simply be replenished by impregnating every suitable species they can get their hands on until there's nothing left but them, I think the Xenomorph is still a great antagonist (surely ranked in the top 5 bad asses of all time) for any Sci-Fi flick! Bowing

09-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

5/5

I watch this movie every few years and it keeps on getting better and better.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
10-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Noah

When it came out I thought to avoid what I expected would be a poorly written and acted "bring 'em to Jesus" movie. But I heard Seth mention it on one of the podcasts as a good portrayal as myth. So on a long flight with little better to do, I watched it and enjoyed most of or. Judging from a small screen in a airplane, the effects were decent and was much like Jason and the Argonauts or something of that ilk. I wouldn't contribute to the box office, but if you get a chance, it doesn't suck.
[+] 1 user Likes closet.atheist's post
14-10-2014, 08:25 PM
I finally got around to watching Dead End recently.

I actually really liked it; it was grounded, very well acted, had an interesting story and good visuals. I don't usually go for horror films, but this one was different from most I've seen.

I'd definitely recommend it to people.
7/10

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
20-10-2014, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2014 07:51 AM by DLJ.)
A coupla in-flight movies:

1. The Trip to Italy and 2. A Million Ways to Die in the West

1. I haven't seen the original The Trip yet so I was having my usual Aspie/OCD stress attack over seeing things in the wrong order but since the other movies carried "Do not enter here - you will be disappointed" flags (e.g. US-school-teens, buddy-cops, Tom Cruise, Sandra Bullock, Marvel Comics etc.) I didn't have much choice.

I enjoyed it.

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon playing fictional versions of themselves visiting some really beautiful places and eating and drinking and screwing and taking the piss out of each other as they went.

Some socially awkward moments added a human touch but not in a Gervais-cringe-style way.

Rating: Charming movie 7/10

2. Again, "charming" is the word.
A comic twist on the old good vs. evil / boy meets girl, boy loses girl etc. Western.
Unashamedly 21st century characters in a 19th century setting i.e. no attempt at historically accuracy in the dialogue but a decent attempt at historical accuracy with the plot and from the set design and costume departments.

The lead actor also wrote and directed so obviously he got all the best lines (and got the girl etc.) and did a "charming" job. I'd not seen him in anything before but would watch again.

The various and many deaths, and the grossed out reaction to them were, for me, the funniest bits. And some casual jibes at christianity never go amiss.

Very likable. 6/10

22-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I've watched Noah some time ago and it was pretty good fantasy movie. It had nothing to do with the Bible, so it was good to watch.

Yesterday I've seen Jinn and Hercules. Jinn was OK, I like movies like that, but nothing special. 6/10. Hercules, on the other hand is a whole different story. Maybe the best movie I've seen this year. I can not pinpoint why exactly why, it's full of subtle jokes and you could see first hand how great myths and legends are born. Loved the realistic approach to the subject. 9/10.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
23-10-2014, 07:09 AM
I get to be on page 123. Lucky me.

I watched Black Orpheus while I was cooking dinner. It's pretty fucking good and I can see why it was important during the fifties/ sixties. I think there's a lot of people who'd take issue with it now because of the cultural sensitivity thing. It's a white dude telling a story traditionally about white dudes and using a culture's visual tropes, tropes that are specifically tied to a religion he doesn't follow and apparently doesn't fully understand to tell it. (If a dude who didn't understand christianity slapped it's visual tropes onto a Shinto story... Well I still wouldn't care. I'd just understand why other's wouldn't like it. Same here. I take no issue.)

But it was still made in the fifties and characterization is good. Everybodies a person and it's really good looking. Points where due.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
25-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Earth to Echo 7/10

I'll preface this by saying I hate 'found footage' or POV movies. I think for the most part they suck. However, my kids wanted to watch this movie. I'm happy to say I actually enjoyed this movie. It was funny, emotional, and had an interesting story. My kids loved it. My big problem with kids movies these days is that they try too hard or are just plain stupid. I remember 80's movies where kids weren't treated like precious little tea cups and there was a real sense of danger during their adventure.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
30-10-2014, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2014 10:04 AM by DLJ.)
More in-flight entertainment (small screen):

What We Do in the Shadows

Just ... friggin' ... excellent.

Dry and dark humour all the way through. Some genuinely touching moments.

IX / X

Lucy

Nice try. Flawed premise was annoying but if the evolution stuff pisses off a few theists, then I'm not complaining.

IV / X

Snowpiercer

Same vein as Logan's Run or City of Ember but not quite as good as either.

The train was kinda like an inverse-TARDIS in that it seemed longer on the outside than the inside. Jamie Bell died too early. Tilda - delightful as always. Ah-sung Ko - soooo cute.

VI / X

Still Life

Feeling kinda sleepy nearing the end of the flight, this was just right. Slow paced, thoughtfully scripted and charming character acting.
The ending was a little twee but fitted the mood of the piece.

VIII / X

Thumbsup