Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
31-10-2014, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2014 07:27 AM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
John Wick:
I want to send this movie back to thirteen year old me. Not only would it have blown my tiny mind I'd also have learnt an important moral:
Do not fuck with terrifying men.

Unfortunately I'm not thirteen anymore: Parker, Taken 1+2, The Colatterall, The Bourne movies, both Halloween remakes Death Warrent, First Blood, Comando and every Segal movie ever. Repitition spoils us. Don't get me wrong though; it's still well done.

Good cinematography and choreography, excelent lighting, good casting, (It's actually a lot of fun going into something where you vaguely recognise the entire cast.) good soundtrack and I appreciate that more effort was put into the script than was actually required. (There's actually a quite well done point about cyclic revenge that they pull back to just plain cycles and a well done rebirth metaphor when they [redacted]}

I left the cinema with a smile on my face because I realised something part way through the first action scene and started a count. Something like fifty to sixty people die in this movie. Thirty plus of them die via headshot.

Combine that with being generally technically competent and I'll call it good.

Entertainment: 8
Quality: 6

(30-10-2014 08:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Snowpiercer

Same vein as Logan's Run or City of Ember but not quite as good as either.

The train was kinda like an inverse-TARDIS in that it seemed longer on the outside than the inside. Jamie Bell died too early. Tilda - delightful as always. Ah-sung Ko - soooo cute.

VI / X
Dude(?) I'll givs you City of Embers, it's moderately fantastic, but really? Logan's Run?

I'd take Snowpiercer over Logan's Run most days.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2014, 12:54 PM
(31-10-2014 07:00 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  John Wick:
I want to send this movie back to thirteen year old me. Not only would it have blown my tiny mind I'd also have learnt an important moral:
Do not fuck with terrifying men.

Unfortunately I'm not thirteen anymore: Parker, Taken 1+2, The Colatterall, The Bourne movies, both Halloween remakes Death Warrent, First Blood, Comando and every Segal movie ever. Repitition spoils us. Don't get me wrong though; it's still well done.

Good cinematography and choreography, excelent lighting, good casting, (It's actually a lot of fun going into something where you vaguely recognise the entire cast.) good soundtrack and I appreciate that more effort was put into the script than was actually required. (There's actually a quite well done point about cyclic revenge that they pull back to just plain cycles and a well done rebirth metaphor when they [redacted]}

I left the cinema with a smile on my face because I realised something part way through the first action scene and started a count. Something like fifty to sixty people die in this movie. Thirty plus of them die via headshot.

Combine that with being generally technically competent and I'll call it good.

Entertainment: 8
Quality: 6

(30-10-2014 08:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Snowpiercer

Same vein as Logan's Run or City of Ember but not quite as good as either.

The train was kinda like an inverse-TARDIS in that it seemed longer on the outside than the inside. Jamie Bell died too early. Tilda - delightful as always. Ah-sung Ko - soooo cute.

VI / X
Dude(?) I'll givs you City of Embers, it's moderately fantastic, but really? Logan's Run?

I'd take Snowpiercer over Logan's Run most days.

I concur with John Wick. I'd actually rate it a little higher due to the surprise factor for me. I didn't think it was going to be that good. As a gun owner and previous competition shooter it was nice to see that he had to reload often and it almost always took more than one shot to take someone down. Excellent use of concealment. The hand to hand was practical with the occasional Hollywood embellishment.

Snowpiercer was also fantastic and weird.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
31-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Sinister

Meh, 6/10

This is why I don't watch horror films, I can't help but root for the morons to die, but I don't like rooting for people to die. It's a conundrum. Ethan Hawke plays a moronic asshole father who's great idea for his next best selling crime novel is to move into a house where a whole family was mysteriously murdered and NOT tell his family about it. Horrific situations ensue. I could see horror fans loving this film, I just didn't personally care for it much, the characters, the end... meh. Apparently they're making a second one... yay.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
15-11-2014, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2014 10:07 AM by DLJ.)
Wellington to Sydney to Singapore to Kuala Lumpur to Cyberjaya... 23 hours door to door... fucking... tired... so this post may be one I read later and find completely incomprehensible but here goes:

1. Maleficent
2. Magic in the Moonlight
3. Hercules
4. Predestination

1. Maleficent
It occurs to me that despite her fame, I realise that I've maybe seen only a couple of Angelina Jolie's movies (Beowolf and erm... can't remember) so I didn't have much of a pre-expectation.

This was surprisingly good. Delightful CGI, pace and acting. Reasonably good dialogue (given the limitations of the fairy-tale genre).

Funny thing is, I never saw the Disney cartoon version of Sleeping Beauty in its entirety but knew most of this movie's references to it from watching Disney montage shows as a child. Kinda odd, that.

Anyway, for creating the right atmosphere and for creative story-line:

VII / X

2. Magic in the Moonlight
Nope, I still don't know why people like Woody Allen movies.

I reckon he must have been trying a Poirot parody or something because as with much of dramatised Agatha Christie, the dialogue always seems to be written by someone who already knows the 'whodunit' ending rather than someone who wants to paint pictures of life, i.e. an engineer not a poet.

Woody Allen is an anagram of Y'all Wooden and that was what the dialogue forced the characters to be.

Probably should have gone for Hugh Grant rather than Colin Firth and just played it for laughs.

However, sumptuous to look at and a kick in the teeth for the God is Not Dead fans, so:

VI / X

3. Hercules

Expecting something akin to the Titan movies or Perseus with cringe-worthy one-liners.
Was pleasantly surprised.

This was a de-mything of the tale and thus a useful reference tool for skeptics trying to explain to theists why people believe any old crap.

Extra points for avoiding cheesy mono / dialogues but predictable endings are predictable.

VI / X

4. Predestination

By a long way, the most thought provoking of the 4 movies but that's not saying very much at all.

Nice idea, well acted but ultimately a pointless theme. The twist was too obvious and the 'utilitarian' 'excuse' for the plot was under-explained.

If you thought to yourself "why didn't they just get the eagles to fly the ring to Mount Doom?" you'll be left dissatisfied with this movie too.

VI / X

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-11-2014, 11:11 AM
I watch too many movies, so I'll just rate the most recent that can be streamed from Netflix.

1. The Worlds Greatest Dad - 7/10

This was a darkly funny movie. They manage to make a comedy out of a single father losing his son to an awkward freak accident. I hated most of the characters throughout the entire movie, but you're kind of supposed to.

2. It's a Disaster - 9/10

A group of friends are stuck in a house together while the world outside comes to an end. If you felt like This is the End had too much potty humor, you'll love this. It's the grown up version. I enjoyed this very much, especially the ending. Another dark comedy, I like those Shy

3. The Hunt - 10/10

A kindergarten teacher is falsely accused by one of his students (who also happens to be his best friend's daughter) of "inappropriate touching". A foreign language film (Swedish). It really shines a light in mob mentality, and how false accusations like this can ruin someone's life completely. I very much recommend watching this.

4. In a World - 8/10

The main character is a voice coach who is trying to make it big as a person who does voice overs. Her father is a legend in the field dominated by ONLY men. The movie is funny, and very interesting. It was neat to get to see behind the scenes a little bit. A little heavy handed with the "girl power!!" at times.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
16-11-2014, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2014 07:11 PM by Deidre32.)
Just saw Gone Girl this afternoon. Um...ummm...wtf just happened? Unsure

I give it 7/10, mainly because it went on 30 minutes too long and Ben Affleck starred in it, although his acting has improved over the years. Intriguing plot, but not really sure what the point of the movie was, in the end.
Boring in some parts, and tries too hard to be edgy.

I thought it would be more like A Perfect Murder, or Fatal Attraction style-esque, and while it was provocative, it definitely doesn't seem to fit the high reviews it received. Go see it, and judge for yourself.

Be true to yourself. Heart
16-11-2014, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2014 07:40 PM by Smercury44.)
Nothing to see here, move along folks Laugh out load

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
16-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Oh crap, you're right. I edited some of my prior post, therefore. Tongue

If you edit your post...no one will know. Laugh out load

I've always been bad with movie reviews. Unsure

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
16-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Done! Big Grin

16-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Tammy

It's not what you might think.

Ok. It is. Maybe. It's complicated.

Total chick flick.
I usually hate them but uh... this is a real woman's flick.

I'll say 9 out of 10.
Susan Sarandon - she's good for it.
And ...
there might even be explosions.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post