Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
16-11-2014, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2014 11:37 PM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(16-11-2014 05:18 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Just saw Gone Girl this afternoon. Um...ummm...wtf just happened? Unsure

I give it 7/10, mainly because it went on 30 minutes too long and Ben Affleck starred in it, although his acting has improved over the years. Intriguing plot, but not really sure what the point of the movie was, in the end.
Boring in some parts, and tries too hard to be edgy.

I thought it would be more like A Perfect Murder, or Fatal Attraction style-esque, and while it was provocative, it definitely doesn't seem to fit the high reviews it received. Go see it, and judge for yourself.
I'm not sure why you didn't just slap spoiler tags over what you wrote. It's not a problem mind. I'd like to address a point you took out:

Why didn't Sharon Stone equivalent just leave Afleck? I know "Because she's Insane" isn't a satisfying answer but I think that applies here. They dedicate two monologues too the point.

Remember that bit where she's ranting about her beauty routine? That's actually important. She's obsessed with how people perceive her and the lengths she goes to control her; reputation and appearance, drives her to distraction. It's why she overachieves, it's why she got together with Afleck in the first place, it's why she didn't even talk to him about the problems they were having and why she'd rather break people than show weakness.

That ties into the movies theme because the same story she's spinning, trying to seem a certain way while denigrating everybody around her, is the same thing the media did in the first act. It didn't matter how badly Afleck protested he was always going to be the bad guy because that's a better story.

Her preoccupation and the media's portrayal of the world feed into each other and escalate. Her understanding of how she should look is emblematic of that.

(Also: I kinda see where those MRA dirtbags are coming from when they say that the movie supports their bullshit:
Mr. White Male is the bad guy only for him to be redeemed and it turns out that he's an innocent victim manipulated into the situation by the real villain; a slightly shrill sociopath concerned only with controlling him. He's pushed into the situation by the media's preconceived bias and everybody is game to throw him under the bus because of that.)

Edit: So yeah. I think that's the point.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
17-11-2014, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2014 09:45 AM by Deidre32.)
(16-11-2014 11:32 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  
(16-11-2014 05:18 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Just saw Gone Girl this afternoon. Um...ummm...wtf just happened? Unsure

I give it 7/10, mainly because it went on 30 minutes too long and Ben Affleck starred in it, although his acting has improved over the years. Intriguing plot, but not really sure what the point of the movie was, in the end.
Boring in some parts, and tries too hard to be edgy.

I thought it would be more like A Perfect Murder, or Fatal Attraction style-esque, and while it was provocative, it definitely doesn't seem to fit the high reviews it received. Go see it, and judge for yourself.
I'm not sure why you didn't just slap spoiler tags over what you wrote. It's not a problem mind. I'd like to address a point you took out:

Why didn't Sharon Stone equivalent just leave Afleck? I know "Because she's Insane" isn't a satisfying answer but I think that applies here. They dedicate two monologues too the point.

Remember that bit where she's ranting about her beauty routine? That's actually important. She's obsessed with how people perceive her and the lengths she goes to control her; reputation and appearance, drives her to distraction. It's why she overachieves, it's why she got together with Afleck in the first place, it's why she didn't even talk to him about the problems they were having and why she'd rather break people than show weakness.

That ties into the movies theme because the same story she's spinning, trying to seem a certain way while denigrating everybody around her, is the same thing the media did in the first act. It didn't matter how badly Afleck protested he was always going to be the bad guy because that's a better story.

Her preoccupation and the media's portrayal of the world feed into each other and escalate. Her understanding of how she should look is emblematic of that.

(Also: I kinda see where those MRA dirtbags are coming from when they say that the movie supports their bullshit:
Mr. White Male is the bad guy only for him to be redeemed and it turns out that he's an innocent victim manipulated into the situation by the real villain; a slightly shrill sociopath concerned only with controlling him. He's pushed into the situation by the media's preconceived bias and everybody is game to throw him under the bus because of that.)

I don't know how to attach a ''spoiler'' tag. Blush But, thank you for your assessment. Big Grin That makes sense to me now.

Be true to yourself. Heart
17-11-2014, 03:44 PM
(17-11-2014 09:41 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I don't know how to attach a ''spoiler'' tag. Blush But, thank you for your assessment. Big Grin That makes sense to me now.

Just write
Code:
[spoiler] bla bla [/spoiler]

As usual. Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
17-11-2014, 05:31 PM
(17-11-2014 03:44 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(17-11-2014 09:41 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I don't know how to attach a ''spoiler'' tag. Blush But, thank you for your assessment. Big Grin That makes sense to me now.

Just write
Code:
[spoiler] bla bla [/spoiler]

As usual. Tongue

Why did I think it was more complex than this? lol Tongue
Merci, mon ami! Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
22-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Snow Piercer (2014)

4/5

I finally watched this after it was recommended to me by numerous people, including my professor, my nephew, and my co-worker.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2014, 12:44 PM
- Interstellar -

This movie did strange things to me. Powerful feels at a few points, and the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic! Zimmers use of the organs makes for intense impact. The visuals were fantastic, even if at points I wanted to shift the camera to see things slightly off screen; I'll probably see it again in IMAX. McConaughey was pretty good, and I'm usually not a fan of his.

I had a couple issues with the film, but it hardly conflicted with my brain, or issues were easily dismissed. My main concern with Nolan was that he made the main threat in dark night rises out of a physically impossible explosive; not just beyond our current technology, but never even capable of happening. I was worried something similar would happen here. Although much of the film stretches possibilities, there's really not much to complain about as far as impossibilities. Anything that is unexplained can be chocked up to (in some cases, extremely) advanced technology. Any errors aren't crucial parts of the story.

At one point in the movie, I was hit with the realization "damn, time, you scary..". By the end of the movie I was oddly quiet. I just didn't know what to say.

Sure, it could have been better, but it is certainly worth watching, if only because it steps outside the norm and in the right direction. I will certainly be grabbing at least some of this soundtrack.

8.5/10
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
22-11-2014, 04:14 PM
(16-11-2014 11:32 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  I'd like to address a point you took out:

Also...
her life has always been lived completely under her highly controlling, non-emotional mother's thumb. Notice how, once we have a "gone girl", the mother runs the show? With that kind of DNA, she was probably not just born manipulative and controlling, she was also groomed to it by having to hold her own with her maniac mother.

Another thing to consider is the relationship she has with the "psychotic" ex-boyfriend. It was suggested several times that he was "controlling" while in reality, it appeared more like they were each vying for the upper hand. Poor sod; he never had any idea what he was up against.

It was a fairly suspenseful story.
I liked the twin sister character and the schlock reporter character - both were quite funny and complex roles - that's fairly unusual for women in film. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Saw Theory of Everything today. 8.5 out of 10

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
22-11-2014, 04:55 PM
I've been wanting to see Theory of Everything ... it isn't around here, yet.

Ok, I didn't look, yet.

Ok, I'm avoiding it because I don't want it to suck. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-11-2014, 05:57 PM
I didn't say anything about the movie because I didn't want to ruin it for anyone. But Eddie Redmayne was remarkable as Hawking.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me