Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
04-05-2015, 10:35 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Evil Dead 2013 edition.

I was going to write what wasn't good in that movie, but considering that it consists mostly of bad/boring parts it would be pointless. Sadly it failed as a horror, but on the upside I get a good laugh from it, though I doubt that was the intention of director.

3/10.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
04-05-2015, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 06:02 PM by Cardinal Smurf.)
Please stop me. I just watched:

God's Not Dead 2/10
Left Behind 2/10

Still, I think both were more interesting to watch than Lucy (at least culturally).

God's Not Dead plays out like a Christian's witnessing wet dream. Every non-believer in the film seems to capitulate against the divine wisdom of the believers all within the span of a single university semester. The acting was about what you'd expect from a preachy film. The concepts of atheists in the film are rather revealing.

While the acting was worse in Left Behind (this is the one with Nicholas Cage), parts of its execution are at least funny...in an MST3K sort of way. I was giggling g when people started disappearing and it started to look like When Laundry Attacks. There were piles of clothes everywhere. My wife came down at just this moment asking "what the heck are you watching?" I was embarrassed to say but after explaining it we both at least got some chuckles from it. The movie almost feels like a Poe. I especially liked the part where the sister is hugging her little brother at the moment of rapture and *POP!*...she's hugging his clothes. My wife and I both thought the idea of a heaven filled with naked people sounded more like hell.

Lucy...I really wanted to like. They lost me at "a human only uses 10% of their brain" and it just kept getting worse. My wife and I both started looking forward to the brief flashes of x% as our personal progress bar of how much film remained for us to endure. Even my 14 year old was mocking it. The film feels like an insult to science. Why, Monsieur Besson? Why?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
04-05-2015, 06:22 PM
(04-05-2015 05:53 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Lucy...I really wanted to like. They lost me at "a human only uses 10% of their brain" and it just kept getting worse.

Hearing Morgan Freeman's voice on the ad caught my attention. Hearing the 10% line quickly lost it again.
I'd like to know if he said anything about how silly that is, being that he hosted "Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman".
Could of sworn there was an episode that discussed the very thing, though I guess money is quite the incentive to say dumb shit.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 1 user Likes Russ's post
04-05-2015, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 09:55 PM by Cosmic Discourse.)
Just got back from watching "Ex Machina" & "Avengers: AOU". I thoroughly enjoyed Ex Machina. It had great pacing, and added layers to the characters in a gradual and deliberate fashion. Definitely filmed in a way that shows off more of the psychological/neurological elements of science. Well timed comedic elements as well. For me it was a 5/5, highly recommended.

AOU was above average, but doesn't quite stand up to the first one (nor did I expect it to). All around entertaining and filled with as much explosions as comedic elements. It's no GOTG, but it will definitely satisfy the summer action itch 4/5.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
05-05-2015, 06:12 PM
The original Mad Max.

It was crap.
08-05-2015, 12:38 AM
Sponge Bob Squarepants: Sponge Out of Water Absolutely awful.

Furious 7 Almost as bad.

Saw them as a double feature at the drive in. $16 (two tickets) and six hours of my life that I'll never get back. (45 minutes each way to get to/from the drive-in).

Sapere aude
08-05-2015, 08:32 AM
(08-05-2015 12:38 AM)f stop Wrote:  Sponge Bob Squarepants: Sponge Out of Water Absolutely awful.

Furious 7 Almost as bad.

Saw them as a double feature at the drive in. $16 (two tickets) and six hours of my life that I'll never get back. (45 minutes each way to get to/from the drive-in).

Ah well, you should have either ingested some pot or blazed up a pipe full as soon as you parked. I do not know about the Furious movies but, Sponge Bob was practically created for getting stoned ... Tongue or being 7 years old.

Two movies, $8 a head... the concession stand is how they pay the overhead ... what better way to bring on the munchies? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
08-05-2015, 06:08 PM
The Mark 2.

OK. Much more action than your typical Christian flick and much less boring than the first film. There are much better Christian films out there if you're into that sort of thing. The Christian films just don't generally have good acting....the only actor they have that gives decent performances is Kirk Cameron.
08-05-2015, 06:42 PM
(04-05-2015 05:53 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Lucy...I really wanted to like. They lost me at "a human only uses 10% of their brain" and it just kept getting worse...The film feels like an insult to science. Why, Monsieur Besson? Why?
That's what stopped me from seeing that: the 10% claim. I had a discussion about that with someone once and he never admitted it's not true.

Ouais, pourquoi.... pourquoi?
08-05-2015, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 07:30 PM by Cardinal Smurf.)
I have discovered the magic of Vudu. And now I'm paying for it, literally. Apparently I spend like a junkie on movies. I originally did it just to rescue our old Jurassic Park disc from the graveyard which was great. Now we can watch it in HD from the Xbox. But now I have to restrain myself. It opens doors for me. Now I can go back and watch old films I haven't seen in years that aren't available from Redbox. So, after rescuing JP and adding 50 First Dates (so we could compare HD to SD), I've also now purchased Road Warrior and Prometheus. And now I'm tempted to buy Duel and Zero Theorem (been waiting a long time for that one!).

But, about Prometheus - 5/10

I first saw this a few days after release. Me and my coworkers were pretty excited to go see it. We are all fans of Blade Runner and The Alien series.

After we got out we talked about it a bit in the parking lot before dragging ourselves home. We couldn't get decide how we felt about it. One part of ourselves was still elated to have new SciFi from Ridley Scott. Another part of us felt betrayed.

So, after watching it again at home with no distractions and a bit of hindsight I have decided I'm right about in the middle. SciFi has become very difficult for me to watch lately. I've developed my own ideal in my mind and so many films fail on so many levels while simultaneously exciting me that I'm torn about watching any. But with this one, I love the art and parts of the premise. But in the end the story was crap (who writes this stuff??). The acting was horrible but that was driven by the story (I think). And the casting was almost a wash. The only decent actor in it was Noomi Rapace. Not one of Mr. Scott's best works that's for sure. But I'm beginning to think most of what's wrong with it wasn't entirely his fault. Do I sense the hand of lesser artists (or investors) meddling in things they don't understand?

One of these days I'll have to sit down and pick it apart piece by piece. I need to understand why watching this film actually makes me angry.

I long for a science fiction film that reaches beyond Hollywood and into the stars in the way that 2001 did. Interstellar (9/10) came about as close as any recent film has. I long for a film that doesn't attempt to pander to the basest of audiences. That isn't afraid to portray scientists and astronauts as the professionals they are who take their work seriously and tend to think critically and cautiously. That shows human beings being intelligent (honestly, what they do best when they really apply themselves) and solving problems with wit and ingenuity rather than violence.

WTF Hollywood? Do you still think EVERYONE is stupid?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum