Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
31-05-2015, 02:04 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2015 02:09 AM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(31-05-2015 01:47 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote: Note that the majority of points lost were simply due to low budget production value.

I think that's part of its charm.
Not every movie needs to have millions of dollars spent on CG effects and big star actors. Often the best movies come from rising directors or student directors who have a fantastic idea and are able to put it onto film despite not having millions of dollars in backing.

Large corporations, such as Warner, have so much money and yet they turn out pretty cookie cutter movies.
Ultimately a movie is all about the story, the concept, the twists and characters etc.. not just about high resolution cameras and big star actors.

I saw the mediocre IMDB score (6.4)... But immediately upon starting the movie I knew that the cheap 'made-for-tv' look meant that the movie was going to play out more like an 8/10

And I do agree with you. Hollywood will throw millions of dollars at making generic crap look visually appealing. If the vast majority of blockbusters with, say, a 7/10 review rating were actually filmed on a low budget, they'd be getting 4/10 or 5/10
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2015, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 07:03 PM by DLJ.)
A few recent in-flight movies...

There seemed to be accidental links between these, namely:
Mark Strong
Matt Damon
Jeff Goldblum
Jude Law
Michael Caine
Gwynies

Mortdecai
VII / X

(Jeff Goldblum, Gwynies)
Lots of Gwynies.
Some of my fave actors in this one. Smile-worthy, cheeky dialogue. Intentionally silly plot.
Paul Whitehouse-esque humour and he was in it too.
Only spoiled by the mental picture of HoC fapping madly during the Gwynies' scenes.
Both leads did convincing English accents.

Interstellar
III / X

(Matt Damon, Michael Caine)
Dire. I may have fallen asleep during this.
The lead actor's dialogue was unintelligible. Matt Damon was the only light relief in a tediously predictable plot.

Kingsman: The Secret Service
VII / X

(Mark Strong, Michael Caine)
Cute stuff. All the actors seemed to be having a lot of fun, Samuel L Jackson in particular.
Mark Strong had all the best lines. Colin Firth was as wooden as ever.

The Imitation Game
VI / X

Nice idea but the dialogue seemed to be written for 5 year-olds.
The ubiquitous Mark Strong ... strong as ever.
We landed before it finished so I'm guessing that Damon, Goldblum, Caine, Law or Gwynies would show up before the end.
I saw up until they had just cracked Enigma and, though that bit was wincingly over-dramatised, the moral issues were beginning to get more interesting, so I intend to see the rest if it's still available the next time I fly.

Contagion
VIII / X

(Gwynies, Jude Law and Matt Damon)
I think they might have done more with this in terms of plot for some of the minor characters but what there was was very good. Solid performances especially, Damon, Winslet and Law (who was wonderfully creepy).

The Grand Budapest Hotel
VIII / X

(Jude Law, Jeff Goldblum)
Sumptuous!
I watched this before on a flight but this time I had sound, too.
Special mention to the Art Design and Cinematography departments... exquisite use of symmetry.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
05-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Man Up - Rom-com with Simon Pegg and Lake Bell.

Fairly inoffensive but patchily acted with a surprisingly excellent turn-out and utterly flawless British accent from Lake Bell. Pegg's performance, however, is not so good. The initial meeting under a clock is utterly unbelievable, I didn't buy into it for a second.

The writing is uneven and frankly not up to scratch, I got the feeling Pegg was doing a favour for a mate all the way through, he was unconvincing from the off, which is a shame because Lake Bell did a grand job of the poor script.

4/10 from me. Just not good enough to float to the top of the sea of mediocre rom-coms... Pegg needs to get back to what he does best, slicing up bits of other people's movies and mixing them together with a light but bland gloop. Coleslaw movies for the take-away generation.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
05-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Just got back from San Andreas. Decent action, good start, but about halfway through it became dreadfully predictable and cliche. 5/10.
05-06-2015, 09:16 PM
(05-06-2015 08:10 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Just got back from San Andreas. Decent action, good start, but about halfway through it became dreadfully predictable and cliche. 5/10.

I'm not sure I want to see this since I live in California Consider

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-06-2015, 12:28 AM
(05-06-2015 08:10 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Just got back from San Andreas. 5/10.

So it has its faults?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
06-06-2015, 01:12 AM
(06-06-2015 12:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 08:10 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Just got back from San Andreas. 5/10.

So it has its faults?

Drinking Beverage

Yeah, the whole thing just felt a bit shaky.
[+] 5 users Like Smercury44's post
06-06-2015, 07:17 AM
(06-06-2015 01:12 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(06-06-2015 12:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So it has its faults?

Drinking Beverage

Yeah, the whole thing just felt a bit shaky.

It's deep, but you can easily see the gaping fissures in the plot.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
06-06-2015, 08:53 AM
(06-06-2015 07:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(06-06-2015 01:12 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, the whole thing just felt a bit shaky.

It's deep, but you can easily see the gaping fissures in the plot.

I can see what they were trying but unfortunately it all fell apart by the end. Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-06-2015, 10:07 AM
(06-06-2015 08:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-06-2015 07:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  It's deep, but you can easily see the gaping fissures in the plot.

I can see what they were trying but unfortunately it all fell apart by the end. Drinking Beverage

Once you notice the cracks in it's surface, you can see it's not exactly solid to the core..
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post