Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
22-06-2015, 02:05 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(15-06-2015 12:33 PM)kim Wrote:  Ok ... Love and Mercy (Brian Wilson bio pic)

Very upsetting. I don't like seeing people being emotionally & psychologically manipulated. Even though they showed very little of what went on between Brian and his "doctor", they presented enough to make me squirm. It was also just as difficult or more so, to see the outrageous behavior of his own father - the guy was a piece of shit!

I am glad that most of the film concerns the Beach Boy's early musical years and what lead Brian to just shut off from everything. But overall, the film seemed slightly lacking - almost incomplete. His life was so split into such very distinct parts that each part could be a film on its own. Maybe it's just a teaser to get people to read a more fleshed out biography of Brian ... and it worked! On me, anyway. I'm dying to get all the nitty gritty details now. Shy

As an "arty bio pic" type film, it was well done - especially the sound!! And of course, the music - all very nicely covered. I kind of hope it helps put Brian's work into greater perspective- he's a brilliant musician & composer.

Mike Love is a shallow, money grubbing asshole who cares nothing about the music or anyone but himself. Whew, that felt good. Shy

I'd give it about a 7 out of 10.

It's a good peek into what this guy has had to put up with all his life, while all he wanted to do was make the music he heard in his head.

I generally avoid biopics (because I know that guy up there on the screen ain't Brian Wilson), but I think I would like this one. I probably won't see it, though, unless I go alone, because none of my friends would want to see this. I am going with a friend to see Jurassic World (that's the kind of movie my friends like) this week, and I expect to be entertained, but it won't move me like this one probably would.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2015, 03:31 PM
It Follows idiotic movie about curse transmited through sex. One could think whoever made this movie had certain agenda in mind. Apart form this it was simply boring. I nearly fall asleep and it is not something that ought to happen when one watch horror.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-06-2015, 03:46 PM
(20-06-2015 08:41 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Lost Boys 4/5- haven't seen this beast in 20 years. Big Grin

Funny how shit gets dated when you ain't paying attention.
Somewhere out there is a photo... From a time long ago when that movie was young... A recreation of the famous cover. Me as Kiefer Sutherland (I wasn't in bad shape) ... My brother Jigsaw as Billy Wirth... My friend George as Jami Gertz... We had the hair (extensions), the makeup, the costumes... Every part of that movie poster was covered. George already had the dress and most of the costumes.

Somewhere that photo exists. Damn, we looked sexy and awesome.
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
08-07-2015, 12:11 AM
The Dark Horse

One of the best films I've ever seen. A NZ film. I think you have to have a little bit of knowledge about Maori culture to understands bits of it but even if you didn't you'd get 99% of the movie. You can download it on thepiratebay, defiantly worth a watch. I've actually met the guy it was about when I played in chess competitions at school.

[Image: oscar.png]
10-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Knights of Badassdom - 1/10

This was such a terrible movie, but sooooo hilarious because it's terrible! Worth a watch if you want a shitty hilarious movie Big Grin they do serve their purpose! Streaming on Netflix now.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
17-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Caught another double feature today, as I went to see "Trainwreck" & "Inside/Out". Both features were great.

Trainwreck was a well written and well acted comedy. Besides the headlining actors, John Cena had one of the standout performances. Pacing was solid and the supporting cast went beyond phoning it in. Cameos in the film were quality as well. Easily a 5/5 if you like irreverent laughs.

Inside/Out was a great retelling of basic neuroscience, disguised in cute Pixar packaging. It manages to dig into subjects the average animated movie goer is normally uncomfortable with (anger, depression, cynicism, sarcasm, etc), while still being a lighthearted film for the whole family. Adult jokes are kept to a minimum (a welcome change), but there's still enough mature themes for healthy car ride conversations with your little ones. Highly recommended 5/5.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
19-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Went and saw Ant-Man

It was fun, the story was engaging. The 3D graphics were actually quite good -- better than the latest The Avengers movie. Captain America spoiler at very end (after credits). Older son and I were the only ones really interested. Got to see Star Wats preview yet again (that movie better live up to the hype).

It's so hot outside spending 2.5 hours in a chilled movie theater isn't a bad idea.

There are far worse ways of spending an afternoon.

7 out of 10. Which is a bit surprising, I'll never look at ants the same again.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Maze Runner Not too impressed.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
19-07-2015, 08:42 PM
(10-07-2015 11:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Knights of Badassdom - 1/10

This was such a terrible movie, but sooooo hilarious because it's terrible! Worth a watch if you want a shitty hilarious movie Big Grin they do serve their purpose! Streaming on Netflix now.

I'm an ex-LARP'er... I am SO watching that right NOW!

*firing up the popcorn and the Netflix*

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-07-2015, 09:11 PM
(19-07-2015 08:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 11:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Knights of Badassdom - 1/10

I'm an ex-LARP'er... I am SO watching that right NOW!

*firing up the popcorn and the Netflix*

I think you'll really enjoy that aspect of it Yes I still stand by my statement that it's a shitty movie, but it was still a lot of fun. Let me know what you think!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta