Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
01-09-2015, 09:15 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Got around to watching Ex Machina last week; about time, right? But I had at least scrupulously avoided spoilers (no mean feat!) and went in essentially blind.

Verdict? Goddamn masterpiece. 7.9 Blade Runners out of 8.0. Actually, it's been rather a android dreams film festival, 'round casa cjlr lately.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
01-09-2015, 09:18 PM
(01-09-2015 09:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Got around to watching Ex Machina last week; about time, right? But I had at least scrupulously avoided spoilers (no mean feat!) and went in essentially blind.

Verdict? Goddamn masterpiece. 7.9 Blade Runners out of 8.0. Actually, it's been rather a android dreams film festival, 'round casa cjlr lately.

Thanks. I will see it.

I watched The monuments men.

Decent film. Worth a look.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
01-09-2015, 09:34 PM
(01-09-2015 09:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Got around to watching Ex Machina last week; about time, right? But I had at least scrupulously avoided spoilers (no mean feat!) and went in essentially blind.

That dance scene tho! I don't know why, but that was my favorite part. Great movie Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
01-09-2015, 09:43 PM
(01-09-2015 09:34 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  

That dance scene tho! I don't know why, but that was my favorite part. Great movie Thumbsup

Bathos, m'lady. Bathos. The companion of pathos, which the film is replete with. The diagetic switch in the soundtrack clinches it. And the illustration of the puppet master's knife-edge - wanting something independent enough to be interesting but restricted enough to be subordinate.
(get it? knife? I amuse myself...)

The whole thing was prompted by my acquisition of some Alan Parsons Project albums , actually. Companion pieces, in my mind- I Robot and Eve.

... this is my signature!
06-09-2015, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2015 11:09 AM by cactus.)
I just watched this documentary on Voodoo (or more accurately, "Vodou", since this film doesn't talk about the Americanized form of the religion).
It follows the route of slave traders as they brought African slaves into Haiti, Cuba, and Brazil, and shows how the religion has persisted in each of those cultures into the modern day.

IMO, the documentary starts to feel a bit Anglo-centric as it progresses toward its conclusion. It goes from showing animal sacrifices, to people doing sexy dance rituals involving lots of grinding and twerking, to drug and alcohol-induced "trances", to people standing behind the fence of a Catholic church grovelling in front of a statue of Jesus because they're apparently not welcome inside the church. Then within the last three minutes of the documentary it transitions to showing a very sanitary and well-lit church in Brazil with primarily Christian imagery and enough money for its own sports fields. At that point the narrator describes the religion as having become "cleansed and more sophisticated." Rolleyes Whatever, they're still chanting to invisible spirits and falling into trance-like states through the power of suggestion. The only thing that really separates them from any of the other cultures is money and access to healthcare and education.
Still, it was an interesting look into the cultures, and a bit trippy at times.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
07-09-2015, 06:47 PM
(30-08-2015 06:32 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Mad Max Fury Road was really bad.
They guy with the guitar was really off putting, I didn't see the point to it.

The Gibson originals were much better.
I don't really see any point in doing a remake, it's not like Max Max needed to be modernised.

Just shows that the Cinema folk are struggling to find original ideas.

You obviously have no taste in movies.
That's fine, some people do some people don't.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-09-2015, 06:52 PM
(07-09-2015 06:47 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 06:32 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Mad Max Fury Road was really bad.
They guy with the guitar was really off putting, I didn't see the point to it.

The Gibson originals were much better.
I don't really see any point in doing a remake, it's not like Max Max needed to be modernised.

Just shows that the Cinema folk are struggling to find original ideas.

You obviously have no taste in movies.
That's fine, some people do some people don't.

Friends of mine worked on the new MM. I may be getting one of their PCs. Wish me luck. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
07-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Watched/watching (I'm at the end) a movie called Sunshine.

This bit at the end that I'm up to.. if you've ever seen the movie you know the bit I'm talking about.
OMG, was not expecting that and than "argggggggg! what is seen cannot be unseen!".

Very great movie though, recommend watching it.

[Image: oscar.png]
08-09-2015, 03:42 PM
The Librarian: Quest for the Spear. 8/10. I am so ashamed. Blush

#sigh
13-09-2015, 06:29 PM
I splurged and saw three movies today:

"The End of the Tour": a dramatization of David Lipsky's interview with David Foster Wallace. I have never read anything by Wallace, but have always wanted to. Not for action fans, but it held my interest (and made me want to read some of Wallace's stuff).

"A Walk in the Woods": I believe this is based on a true story of author Bill Bryson's attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail with a long-lost friend (played by Nick Nolte). Breathtaking scenery and good interplay between the characters. Nolte looks every bit his age, but Robert Redford (playing Bryson) makes me very jealous -- he still looks better at age 70-something than I ever have in my life.

"Meru": a documentary about an attempt to climb an extremely difficult Himalayan mountain. I used to do some climbing (although never anything like this), so I'm a sucker for this type of film. I found it riveting. More breathtaking scenery.