Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
27-09-2015, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2015 05:20 PM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(27-09-2015 11:42 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  [Image: l%C3%A5t%20den%20r%C3%A4tte2.jpg]

I just finished watching this one today. I've seen the American version before, and I've read the book as well (I read the book first before seeing either film). And I have to say I like this one better than the American version. I loved being able to listen to the Swedish language as a bonus. Smile

This movie followed the book more closely than the American version but there were still things that were glossed over as there are quite a few things in the book that in my opinion would be very difficult to deal with on-screen. If you've read the book, you likely know what I am speaking of.

The horror aspect is tuned down in relation to the American version of the film, focusing more on the relationship between Oskar and Eli, but this may make it more enjoyable, rather than less so.

I could go on, but I won't bore y'all. The movie is very touching. I give it five out of five hobos.

Let the Right One In: Hobo Hobo Hobo Hobo Hobo

I've read the book and seen both adaptations as well, and I have to say the first film is much better, too. The film makers definitely couldn't adapt the film 100% for obvious reasons (for those in the know). Could you imagine if they did?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2015, 03:49 AM
I just watched the Spooks movie The Greater Good, taken from the BBC TV series. If you enjoyed the series you'll like this.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-09-2015, 04:47 AM
It really is that good.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-09-2015, 08:06 AM
YAYYYYY!! Bob's Burgers and Family Guy return!!!!

[Image: oscar.png]
01-10-2015, 11:21 PM
So I finally got to see Zero Theorem (via Vudu). 6/10

I think I had high expectations from Gilliam being a long time fan. The movie was rather odd. And some of the parts that might have been funny just came off as depressing.

But, as it's Gilliam maybe I need to watch it a few more times to let some deeper concepts soak in (I can be dense). Maybe...

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
02-10-2015, 01:20 AM
(28-09-2015 04:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  It really is that good.

That's like my besties favorite movie. We watch it all the time. Undecided

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-10-2015, 03:29 PM
I was checking the Wikipedia page for an old video game I used to play: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. I already recalled learning it was partially based on a book: Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers. But I also learned there was a film made in 1979 also based partially on the book (likely more so than the game).

I had never heard of this director before: Andrei Tarkovsky. He is apparently well known in Russia. He is apparently considered a major influence in the film industry worldwide.

Both parts of his film Stalker (on which the game is also partially based) are available on YouTube as well as behind a pay wall (I think) on the Mosfilm site. Sadly, none of these have subtitles so I can't follow the dialogue.

I also discovered that the film Solaris (2002 starring George Clooney) was actually a remake of the Tarkovsky film by the same name made in 1972. Both are based on a Polish sci-fi novel from 1961. Now I need to watch that also! Apparently it was released recently as part of The Criterion Collection.

I love discovering hidden gems!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
02-10-2015, 11:26 PM
Went to see The Martian today.

If you like the genres (hard sf combined with survival), and I do, it was a great film.

From a survival standpoint, it was okay. The locale was certainly exotic and hostile. It's a slow survival story. Most of the significant challenges are simple problems with solutions stretching over days, weeks, and months of labor. (Then again, in that environment, even the simplest things are monumentally difficult.) The solutions are understandable and creative, and include technical details and challenges that are the sort of thing you don't think about much but is obviously an issue in hindsight. (The communications issue, for example.) Aside from the last minute daring rescue, the only immediate, deal-with-it-now dangers are solved with quick application of duct tape and a stapler. Most of the survival challenges felt straightforward and unsurprising... obstacles that needed to be dealt with, but few things unexpected. Maybe that's because I know more than the average layperson about the challenges someone there would face. That left the survival side of things feeling a bit uninteresting, but the film's other strengths made up for it.

It was especially good from a hard science fiction angle. Scientific inaccuracy and illogic can ruin a movie for me -- not in the sense that it makes the movie BAD, just in the sense that I'm fussing over those and not paying attention to the story. Needless to say, Hollywood frequently disappoints me. I almost prefer a Star Trek or a Star Wars to something like Gravity because with those I know the science is either totally made up or wildly speculative and I can just treat it as fantasy. Hard science fiction gets held to a high standard by me.

I counted THREE scientific errors in The Martian. Just three, and only one serious. In order of severity, one, that the Mars scenes were clearly filmed in Earth gravity, I gave them a pass on. It didn't affect the plot any and obviously the production costs of sending the actors and film crews to Mars would have been astronomical. The second, an improvised jetpack that let the protagonist "fly like Iron Man", was technically plausible but was depicted on screen as more powerful than I thought it should be, but that was more visual-critical than plot-critical. (I'm having second doubts about whether that was inaccurate.) The most severe error, which I picked out quickly, was the severity of the dust storm. While wind speeds do get that high on Mars, the low air pressure (or is it density? think it's density) keeps that from having a lot of force. It's like the difference between trying to keep your footing while standing in a 10mph wind versus keeping your footing while wading hip-deep into a river going 10mph. This definitely effected the plot. Still, I was impressed. I jumped online to see if anyone else had seen errors I missed, and people had flagged some portions as implausible, but nothing as outright wrong, save the storm.

Hollywood is NEVER this good. This film deserves to be seen three times in theaters just so Hollywood gets the hint. HEY! MORONS! THERE'S MONEY IN SCIENTIFIC ACCURACY!

(Shut up, homeopathy industry, you don't count.)

But still, with only ONE scientific error that I noticed, the film gets high marks from me. Other people might notice that the supporting cast was pretty flat in their characterization, but I think that was more a matter of focus being on the main protagonist, who was quirky and dryly humorous in his isolation. I was happy enough to have an almost-completely-to-my-eye-accurate hard science fiction movie that I was ready to forgive its sins. I'd give it 9.5 out of 10, but that reflects my tastes. If you prefer films about deep complicated interpersonal relationships or intense action, this probably isn't your cup of tea. If you like all the engineering scenes in MacGyver, this film's a must-see.

Overall, it was a great sequel to Apollo 13. Tongue Too bad we've had to wait 45 years (and counting) to see it. No, I didn't get that year count wrong. Yo! NASA! Get the lead out!
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
05-10-2015, 04:21 PM
HOMELAND'S BACK BITCHES!!!

[Image: oscar.png]
05-10-2015, 05:38 PM
(02-10-2015 11:26 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Went to see The Martian today.

... It didn't affect the plot any and obviously the production costs of sending the actors and film crews to Mars would have been astronomical.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP