Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
05-10-2015, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 12:06 AM by Banjo.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
I also just saw Martian. Overall I found it a bit underwhelming.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2015, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 03:06 AM by Banjo.)
While both films today were interesting. I must give
Ex machina the higher rating of them bth high merit over The Martian'.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-10-2015, 08:02 AM
I have seen three films in the last few weeks:

1. Everest: Went with a friend. He hated it; I liked it. I have done some rock climbing and mountaineering, so I'm a sucker for movies like this. He thought the characters were unlikeable, and couldn't wait for them to die. I don't agree with that assessment, but the characters were not the main thing for me anyway. The real main character is the mountain, and it was awesome. Great scenery in IMAX 3D.

2. Pawn Sacrifice: A dramatization of the career of chess grandmaster Bobby Fischer. My friend and I are both chessplayers (although he doesn't play anymore), so we couldn't resist this one. They took a lot of liberties with the facts, which bothered me, but I enjoyed the movie anyway. Toby Maguire as Fischer and Lev Schreiber as Boris Spassky were both excellent in their roles. As a rule, I don't like biopics (I know what Bobby Fischer looked like, and that isn't him!), but this was pretty good.

3. The Walk: My friend refused to see this. The director admits that one of his aims was to "induce vertigo", and he succeeds. My friend didn't think he could take it. He didn't think I could, either, as I have a healthy fear of heights. But that's one of the reasons I wanted to see it (the same thing that drew me to rock climbing). So anyway, I walked 3+ miles to the theater Sunday and saw it by myself. It was riveting. There has been criticism of "fake accents" in this film, but that didn't bother me. The characters were likeable and interesting, and "the walk" itself was breathtaking. Even though I knew how it turns out, I was still on the edge of my seat (and having to make an effort not to look away) the whole time.

My friend, who is an engineer and a science geek, really wants to see The Martian, and we will probably go to see it sometime in the next week or two. I am not nearly as interested as he is, but it should be pretty good anyway.
06-10-2015, 02:48 PM
(06-10-2015 02:52 AM)Banjo Wrote:  While both films today were interesting. I must give
Ex machina the higher rating of them bth high merit over The Martian'.

My wife and I rented Ex Machina. We didn't like it so much.

Mostly we just didn't really care about the characters so much. On top of that I also found the story so implausible as to be ridiculous. The "engineer/scientist" in the film was so improbable as to be laughable.

I gave the film the benefit of the doubt most of the way through hoping that the "engineer" was instead a plot device. I figured his big secret was that he didn't actually engineer them and was a fraud. I was disappointed that wasn't the case. I felt the same way about the "scientists" in Prometheus. Insulted.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
06-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Watched The Tin Drum last night... I honestly have no idea what to think about it. It was surreal in a what-the-fuck-did-I-just-see kind of way. It will need a second viewing to even begin to categorize it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
06-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Inside Out, 5/5.

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." -Isaac Asimov
[+] 1 user Likes TheEverydaySkeptic's post
06-10-2015, 11:10 PM
Thirteen.

I don't know how to rate it, it's got a good mix of a little bit gritty feeling while not relying on too much melodrama cliche type things for a teenager turning into a hormonal drug abuser film. Though still the best I could say is it's a 6 and it's a, oh it's on TV as I got nothing to do so it's worth watching all of it movie.

Though one of the best moments was also exposing this hilarious type of phenomenon that birds do, but it works so well with a chicken.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-10-2015, 06:02 AM
(28-09-2015 03:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I just watched the Spooks movie The Greater Good, taken from the BBC TV series. If you enjoyed the series you'll like this.

I watched this and the vampires in New Zealand one mentioned earlier. Both were excellent. Thumbsup

I use this thread similarly to the "what are you listening to" thread, in case my peeps found stuff I would like. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-10-2015, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 11:38 AM by kim.)
I enjoyed Ex machina. It was so beautifully done but there were so many holes that just made it nearly laughably implausible.

Still, I did enjoy the thoughts it provoked. For that, the pace, and the cinematic quality, it's worth a watch. It had great shots of art & architecture as well as an insanely breathtaking landscape.

I'll say a 7 or 8 out of 10. Nothing is perfect. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
09-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Although it's not the last film I've seen I believe this is worth the mention:

Boy 9/10

A very well done film. Written, produced and directed by Taika Waititi, the guy who played the "meticulous" vampire in What We Do In The Shadows (I think he also wrote and directed that).

Not the same type of movie as WWDITS, this is a more serious film with some humor. It's semi-autobiographical from the perspective of his youth in a rural area near Wellington where he grew up.

Although a bit depressing at times I found it moving and intimate. It deals with childhood, poverty and parenting. Very well done.

The actual most recent film I watched for the first time:

Jubilee 1/10. Available on YouTube.

What a mess. So, our (my wife and I) only reason for watching this was because we both grew up with punk/death rock. We had just watched Rocky Horror Picture Show and I was looking people up with Wikipedia as we watched. We read the description for this film and were intrigued that it included appearances by Richard O'Brien and Little Nell (Riff Raff and Columbia from Rocky Horror), Adam Ant, Siouxsie (of Banshees fame) and a few other musicians we'd heard of before.

What a self serving mess. The acting was atrocious. The script and plot were like what I would have written as fan fiction when I was a teenager in love with the idea of being a rock star. Many performances were just folks hamming it up.

It's only reward was to see what other work these people had been involved in. Siouxsie's "appearance" was footage of a live show watched by the characters on the telly.

Fair warning: we also read about a "sequel" to Rocky Horror. Turns out it's written and directed by Richard O'Brien and Jim Sharman, the same guy who wrote and directed the mess that is Jubilee.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum