Inside Out. 11/10

That about covers it. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Since I haven't been around for a while until recently I'll post a couple more even though I watched them a couple months back. These were all watched on Netflix and were surprisingly good.

Escape 8/10
A chase film focused on a couple of young girls who escape captivity from bandits in the Norwegian countryside in the 14th century. Entire film is in Norwegian which adds to the feeling of authenticity (for a simple American such as I). The characters in the film were surprisingly well developed and dimensional.

The Dark Valley 9/10
An Austrian spaghetti western to rival the best of them. Takes place in deep winter in a valley in a remote part of Austria. Film is in German. Tale of justice and heroics but there is an ever present sense of realism that adds to the tension. Worth a watch.

The Dead Lands 7/10
Possibly the first (and perhaps only) Maori martial arts movie. It showcases some traditional Maori fighting styles. The plot is ok. If anything the film is culturally interesting as well. The film seems to take place before the arrival of white settlers to New Zealand. Considering the screen shots and descriptions made it look like a cheesy macho ego stroke, it was surprisingly good.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
11-10-2015, 02:16 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
The Martian (2015)

4.5/5

Very enjoyable.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
11-10-2015, 07:36 PM
(05-10-2015 11:16 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I also just saw Martian. Overall I found it a bit underwhelming.
How so? Got a message from a friend, and she wants us to see it.
14-10-2015, 11:02 AM
(11-10-2015 07:36 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 11:16 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I also just saw Martian. Overall I found it a bit underwhelming.
How so? Got a message from a friend, and she wants us to see it.

I saw it last night, and it was very good. Those who are techies or sci-fi geeks should especially enjoy it. There were a few highly implausible sequences, but that didn't spoil it for me. I would rate it 8/10.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
14-10-2015, 02:09 PM
(14-10-2015 11:02 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 07:36 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  How so? Got a message from a friend, and she wants us to see it.

I saw it last night, and it was very good. Those who are techies or sci-fi geeks should especially enjoy it. There were a few highly implausible sequences, but that didn't spoil it for me. I would rate it 8/10.

I just saw it in 3D, and I'd give it a 9/10. It gets a small bump from the amazing 3D.

As far as needing suspension of disbelief and sci-fi go, this one is one of the best I've seen in quite some time. Aside from the storm at the beginning and a few minor plot necessary flubs, it was solid on the science, and I can pretend that a piece of flexible plastic can hold an atmosphere worth of pressure for the sake of a good story.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
14-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Moonrise Kingdom. 10/10
[+] 3 users Like wizardofthevoid's post
14-10-2015, 06:18 PM
So, watching Goodfellas again and I've just spotted what we in the video game industry call an easter egg. That being an uncanny hard to find reference to something else the developers put in the game.
Anyway, watching Goodfellas and it's at the wedding part where she's being introduced to all of Pauli's family that are named either Paul or Pete. And one of the Petes is the same dude that plays Pete Campbell off Mad Men.
Coincidence? I think not! And yes I am rather proud of myself, I usually miss little shit like that and have to read about it in some obscure "15 things you didn't know about.." cracked article or some shit so fuck you.
15-10-2015, 02:47 AM
(14-10-2015 06:18 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So, watching Goodfellas again and I've just spotted what we in the video game industry call an easter egg. That being an uncanny hard to find reference to something else the developers put in the game.
Anyway, watching Goodfellas and it's at the wedding part where she's being introduced to all of Pauli's family that are named either Paul or Pete. And one of the Petes is the same dude that plays Pete Campbell off Mad Men.
Coincidence? I think not! And yes I am rather proud of myself, I usually miss little shit like that and have to read about it in some obscure "15 things you didn't know about.." cracked article or some shit so fuck you.

You make me so proud. *sniff*

15-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Just finished watching:

About Elly 8/10 (Netflix streaming)

Fantastically directed film with very compelling performances. With so many actors all talking so naturally at the same time it must have been a challenge to direct. Excellent story and philosophical explorations.

Entire film is in Farsi. I may have picked up some along the way.