Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
16-10-2015, 12:01 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Saw The Martian last weekend, it was... good. I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't an Aerospace Engineer (emphasis space), lots of little plot bits were hard to swallow (they put a manned base on Mars with no planned way to communicate with Earth? Really?? No.) Overall it was a good story though, if not predictable. 7.5/10 As with Gravity (also a 7.5/10 for me), the science was convincing to the average Joe, but pretty inaccurate, and I have a pet peeve with spreading inaccurate information.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MustangManda's post
16-10-2015, 12:03 PM
(16-10-2015 12:01 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  Saw The Martian last weekend, it was... good. I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't an Aerospace Engineer (emphasis space), lots of little plot bits were hard to swallow (they put a manned base on Mars with no planned way to communicate with Earth? Really?? No.) Overall it was a good story though, if not predictable. 7.5/10 As with Gravity (also a 7.5/10 for me), the science was convincing to the average Joe, but pretty inaccurate, and I have a pet peeve with spreading inaccurate information.

I thought the communication thing was because the antenna got damaged in the storm. Wasn't that what hit Watney?

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
17-10-2015, 09:35 AM
A Fish Called Wanda, a midlinging 6/10 type of 80s comedy I suppose.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-10-2015, 07:58 PM
I just saw "The Martian", and I'd rate it a solid 9/10. It was enthralling, funny, and emotional. It reminded me a lot of the space version of "Castaway"
It was over 2 hours long, but I didn't check my watch until the last 10 minutes, and that was only because my friend had to use the bathroom, and wondered how much time was left. Yes, it was far fetched, and probably not scientifically accurate as someone said above, but it's a drama, not a documentary, so I don't mind suspending disbelief. I'd see it again.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
23-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Crimson Peak: 8/10. Gothic horror. Gorgeous cinematography (it's a Guillermo del Toro film) and an interesting story. The lead character is sort of a Gwynnie look-alike. I liked it more than I expected to. The villainess is played by Jessica Chastain, who also played the captain in "The Martian", which we just saw a week or two ago. My movie-going buddy didn't even recognize her as the same actress -- very different role in this one.
25-10-2015, 04:19 AM
Star Wars - A New Hope - Despecialized Edition v2.5

A:10
V:10
M:11

Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back - Despecialized Edition v1.0

A:10
V:10
M:11

More about the movie editions in a special tread.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
26-10-2015, 03:36 AM
Finally got around to The Big Lebowski.

Amusing and quirky (it is the Coen brothers, after all), but not as good as I'd expected.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-10-2015, 03:47 AM
(17-10-2015 09:35 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  A Fish Called Wanda, a midlinging 6/10 type of 80s comedy I suppose.

Gasp Blasphemy!

Wink

(I laugh out loud everytime I see it)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-10-2015, 04:10 PM
(26-10-2015 03:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Finally got around to The Big Lebowski.

Amusing and quirky (it is the Coen brothers, after all), but not as good as I'd expected.

It had to be done Tongue
[Image: d7d]

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 5 users Like Smercury44's post
26-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Recently saw a German film called Phoenix (as in rising from the ashes). Somewhat slowly paced but intriguing story holds the attention. I couldn't look away... it was very well done.

It takes place in a few weeks/months after the German surrender of WWII, the amidst confusion and shock of certain revelations.

It is a very small, personal story, like many millions of others at that time.

It's not a blockbuster but maybe a quiet 9 of 10. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein