Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
26-10-2015, 11:18 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(26-10-2015 04:10 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 03:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Finally got around to The Big Lebowski.

Amusing and quirky (it is the Coen brothers, after all), but not as good as I'd expected.

It had to be done Tongue
[Image: d7d]
On behalf of Dudeist priests, we thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
03-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Cowboys vs aliens
[Image: p8223393_p_v7_ab.jpg]
I was expecting a bit of a dumb action flick when this film popped up in my Netflix queue, and this certainly is a film that knows its limits... but this is actually a well made story and a decent if not exceptional western.

The combination of western and science fiction is eclectic but is not played for laughs. This film is a western first and much of the alien side is left unexplored except to identify it as a threat. The antagonists could have been substituted for evil wizards or any number of alternatives that free up the plot to allow native, ex soldier and bandit alike to team up against a common foe.

Common western themes are explored including family ties, loss, and camaraderie. If you like Westerns but have been put off by the title and premise of this one, I'd recommend giving it a go. 4/5

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
03-11-2015, 09:06 AM
(03-11-2015 08:58 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Cowboys vs aliens
I was expecting a bit of a dumb action flick when this film popped up in my Netflix queue, and this certainly is a film that knows its limits... but this is actually a well made story and a decent if not exceptional western.

The combination of western and science fiction is eclectic but is not played for laughs. This film is a western first and much of the alien side is left unexplored except to identify it as a threat. The antagonists could have been substituted for evil wizards or any number of alternatives that free up the plot to allow native, ex soldier and bandit alike to team up against a common foe.

Common western themes are explored including family ties, loss, and camaraderie. If you like Westerns but have been put off by the title and premise of this one, I'd recommend giving it a go. 4/5

Agree, plus any movie with Olivia Wilde Drooling

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1312575/?ref_=tt_ov_st

[Image: Patternity_Knitwhirl_OliviaWilde_patternity.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
03-11-2015, 09:17 AM
(03-11-2015 09:06 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 08:58 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Cowboys vs aliens

Agree, plus any movie with Olivia Wilde Drooling

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1312575/?ref_=tt_ov_st

[Image: Patternity_Knitwhirl_OliviaWilde_patternity.jpg]

Agreed.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Saw Martian few days ago. 7/10 , Hoping to see the emphasis on the psychology of isolation. Also, Matt Damon`s acting was not convincing for me.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
03-11-2015, 04:35 PM
(03-11-2015 09:51 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Saw Martian few days ago. 7/10 , Hoping to see the emphasis on the psychology of isolation. Also, Matt Damon`s acting was not convincing for me.

None of that occurred to me during the film, but you make a good point. Being abandoned in such an environment with no real hope of rescue would be profoundly disturbing, and would probably drive a normal person insane in short order. But he seemed to take it in stride. I think the movie chose to focus on the "tech geek" MacGyver aspect of things -- how did he solve the technical problems, etc. -- and ignore the psychological aspect. I forgive them for that -- you can only do so much in a movie -- but you're right, it's not very realistic.

I didn't have any problem with Damon's acting. He did seem a bit too cheery given the situation, but I think that's just the way the movie was written.
18-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Spectre (the new James Bond film) -- 9/10.

You either enjoy James Bond movies or you don't. I do. As such movies go, this was a good one. I think Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever (yes, even better than Sean Connery).
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
19-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Last night I watched The Visit.
Ignore who the director/writer is, and I think you might enjoy this. The kid "Tyler" kept cracking me up. The "horror" is light, but the suspense had me going...granted, I'm a wimp when it comes to scary type movies. Sadcryface
Without taking it seriously, it's an enjoyable flick.

2.3 out of 3 Nebulae. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Watching The Aviator.
It's a good movie.
26-11-2015, 09:48 AM
The last 3 films I saw are as follows:

1. The Martian: Enjoyed the ensemble cast and the acting/science was both believable (to an extent) and entertaining. I liked the balance between comedic elements and the serious tone. 5/5

2. Bridge of Spies: Great political drama if you're into a thinking persons movie. Also, it was nice to receive a history lesson on topics I was either not taught in school or flat out ignored. Believable castings and great direction/cinematography. 5/5

3. Spotlight: Can't recommend this movie enough, if you want a play by play of the happenings during the Boston Globes investigation of the Catholic church (priest atrocities/Vatican coverups). Storytelling didn't cut any corners, and the casting was stellar. It's definitely a contender for movie of the year, in my opinion. 5/5
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post