Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
24-02-2016, 12:25 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(14-02-2016 11:35 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 11:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
[Image: CWNGndQUEAAc2Q2.jpg]

Go watch this movie now. If you saw the trailerand enjoyed it you will love this movie. It nails Deadpool, Ryan Reynolds is fantastic as Deadpool but Stefan Kapicic as the voice of Colossus is almost even better as a foil for the hyjinx.

4/5 stars

I *wanted* to enjoy Deadpool. Does that count? Shy

Note: this movie is not for pussies or the otherwise squeamish, such as myself. Sleepy

Agreed. I wanted to like it, but it was very poorly written. Probably one of the most poorly written I've seen in a year or so. Only laughed out loud maybe 4 times.. a couple chuckles at others. Had boobs, so that's a plus, but that's really about it.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Just saw Hail Caesar! I love old Hollywood. In fact I'm obsessed with old Hollywood stories so this film was right up my alley. I loved it. George Clooney nailed the slightly stilted acting style of those epic Cecil B. Demille movies from the 1950's. It's actually hard to purposely do a bad acting style and not go over the top. It has to be subtle enough to be slightly irritating but not totally stupid.

All the minor characters were wonderful, true and well thought out.

Also the costumes were spot on and the hair was also perfect for those times.

Hair is one of the most difficult things to recreate from different historical eras. It's very, very difficult to not be influenced by the present day hair styles and contemporary hair styles tend to creep into historical productions all the time. Gone With the Wind has late 1930's hair all through the film.

Love Coen Brother movies. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-02-2016, 01:01 PM
(24-02-2016 04:16 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The end of the tour. ♡♡♡♡♡

I saw that one back when it came out, and liked it a lot. My initial impression was that nobody except literary nerds like me would like it, but I see that it has gotten good reviews from the critics. Maybe they are all literary nerds too -- or else it has wider appeal than I thought. Anyway, I liked it.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
24-02-2016, 01:22 PM
(24-02-2016 01:01 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 04:16 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The end of the tour. ♡♡♡♡♡

I saw that one back when it came out, and liked it a lot. My initial impression was that nobody except literary nerds like me would like it, but I see that it has gotten good reviews from the critics. Maybe they are all literary nerds too -- or else it has wider appeal than I thought. Anyway, I liked it.

I was interested in it because I was told my writing style is similar to DFW, but honestly I can't get myself to read one of his books.. just too crazy long.. too much of a commitment. But in reading about his background, thoughts, etc, it seems we have a lot in common.

I too thought the movie would only be enjoyed by literary nerds, but then, out of no where, my relatively.. hmm.. how do I put this nicely.. my neighbor who you probably couldn't ask any intelligent question to and get a well-rounded response.. saw it and liked it. No idea why he chose to watch it.

Honestly, I thought the movie could've been much better. Acting was almost palatable. Writing was mediocre. Was waiting for more depth to it, but was never really realized.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
26-02-2016, 05:14 AM
The World's Fastest Indian (2005).

Fantastic movie. I can't believe I haven't seen it sooner. A masterpiece.

10/10

[Image: 14599710791279501518.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
27-02-2016, 12:44 AM
(14-02-2016 11:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
[Image: CWNGndQUEAAc2Q2.jpg]

Go watch this movie now. If you saw the trailerand enjoyed it you will love this movie. It nails Deadpool, Ryan Reynolds is fantastic as Deadpool but Stefan Kapicic as the voice of Colossus is almost even better as a foil for the hyjinx.

4/5 stars

Easily one of the best hard R movies, and arguable one of the best super hero movies. Reynolds is Deadpool, probably the best spot on casting since J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson in the Sam Rami Spider-Man movies. Right up there with Blade, Punisher: War Zone, and Dredd.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
27-02-2016, 05:43 PM
DEADPOOL

If you didn’t like it as much as I did then there is something seriously wrong with me. Yes

10/10

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-02-2016, 07:59 PM
(24-02-2016 01:22 PM)philosopher Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 01:01 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I saw that one back when it came out, and liked it a lot. My initial impression was that nobody except literary nerds like me would like it, but I see that it has gotten good reviews from the critics. Maybe they are all literary nerds too -- or else it has wider appeal than I thought. Anyway, I liked it.

I was interested in it because I was told my writing style is similar to DFW, but honestly I can't get myself to read one of his books.. just too crazy long.. too much of a commitment. But in reading about his background, thoughts, etc, it seems we have a lot in common.

I too thought the movie would only be enjoyed by literary nerds, but then, out of no where, my relatively.. hmm.. how do I put this nicely.. my neighbor who you probably couldn't ask any intelligent question to and get a well-rounded response.. saw it and liked it. No idea why he chose to watch it.

Honestly, I thought the movie could've been much better. Acting was almost palatable. Writing was mediocre. Was waiting for more depth to it, but was never really realized.

Look for one of DFW's essay collections--not so long and less experimental--spend an afternoon or two and you'll know whether it's worth diving into one of the novels.
27-02-2016, 10:26 PM
The Martian. Liked it and only a couple of plotholes I saw but the science was pretty solid. Other things I would whine about had more to do with special effects like burning hydrogen producing an orange flame. I get the motive why they did that but it still pisses me off.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
27-02-2016, 11:21 PM
Saw Spotlight: Amazingly powerful movie
I dare any Catholic to see it and come away unaffected: even if you're aware of the facts, it's still gripping.
Excellent in all ways: Mark Ruffalo, Stanley Tucci, Rachel McAdams, Michael Keaton, all superb performances.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post