Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
31-03-2016, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 10:12 PM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(31-03-2016 08:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Better because they're grimmer and darker?
Not necessarily because they're grimmer and darker. They're better because they're more intelligent, they have better stories. Though grimmer and darker often leads to a better story than just mindless 'Murica!

[Image: giphy.gif]

More intelligent? Bettor story? Batman v Superman is an absolute clusterfuck of a nonsensical plot; half of the characters don't even have a decent motivation.

I take it you also haven't see Guardians of the Galaxy or Captain America: The Winter Soldier? Of course you haven't. Hell, outside of possibly the first Avengers film, none of them are patriotic. The underlying theme of the Captain America movies is how far the nation falls short of the idealized America as embodied by Steve Rogers. The whole conceit of Winter Soldier is watching Rogers after throwing him into the world of modern espionage and preemptive unilateral actions, and watching him have a huge problem with it and act like a reverse virus as he tears the machinery of secrecy apart.

Also, Marvel movies are allowed to have fun. DC movies are all strictly in the 'no-fun' zone. Nobody is happy in any of those fucking movies. Not a single one. Levity is an alien concept to Warner Bros. and Zach Snyder.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Rate the Last Film You've Seen
I'm amused at the Messiah references to Superman, considering the creators were a couple of Jewish kids.

And bringing up Rob Fucking Liefeld? Bitch still can't draw a goddamn head or foot right, writes like a damn second grader, but is lauded.
31-03-2016, 06:46 PM
(31-03-2016 05:12 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm amused at the Messiah references to Superman, considering the creators were a couple of Jewish kids.

And bringing up Rob Fucking Liefeld? Bitch still can't draw a goddamn head or foot right, writes like a damn second grader, but is lauded.

This is beginning to look like an episode of The big bang theory.

Guys, you're arguing over "comic book movies".

At least start another thread. I come to this one to get ideas on films to watch.

Fucking comics..... Laugh out load

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
31-03-2016, 07:44 PM
(31-03-2016 06:46 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 05:12 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm amused at the Messiah references to Superman, considering the creators were a couple of Jewish kids.

This is beginning to look like an episode of The big bang theory.

Guys, you're arguing over "comic book movies".

At least start another thread. I come to this one to get ideas on films to watch.

Fucking comics..... Laugh out load
Funny thing is, i haven't read any in ages. So I digress. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
31-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Quote:More intelligent? Bettor story? Batman v Superman is an absolute clusterfuck of a nonsensical plot; half of the characters don't even have a decent motivation.

I take it you also haven't see Guardians of the Galaxy or Captain America: The Winter Soldier? Of course you haven't.

I haven't seen SMvBM, as I said I'm basing this off the movies I have seen.
And yes I have seen Guardians of the Galaxy, I loved that movie. It was fantastic. But it was fantastic because it was more of drama/comedy/action than a traditional Marvel bullshit superhero movie. And in contrast I barely count Dark Knight (and Rises) as superhero movies as well. They're more dramas. Man of Steal and the several Marvel movies I've seen would be the only "true" superhero movies I've seen. And Man of Steel absolutely shits all over every single one of those Marvel movies.

Quote:Also, Marvel movies are allowed to have fun. DC movies are all strictly in the 'no-fun' zone.

See, what the fuck does that even mean? I've come across this plenty of times, all the reviews say this. But it doesn't mean anything.
I don't give a shit if the main character is the most depressed person in the world. That movie could be fantastic. In fact, I do watch a lot of movies where the main character is depressed as fuck and it was fantastic. Banjo mentioned one earlier, Me, Earl and the Dying Girl. Nobody in that movie is over excitedly happy about their situation/lives. It's not a "fun" movie because it's about a girl with fucking cancer. BUT that movie is fucking amazing. Godfather, angry mob lord, drugs. Noone happy in that, great movie. Extremely Loud and Incredible Close is a movie about an autistic kid that (some big spoilers coming up) lost his dad in the world trade centers and goes around trying to hold onto the memory of his dad. It's a sad and depressing movie and yet it is very easily top 3 best movies ever made. Ever.

[mocking voice]"It's not fun"[/mocking voice] doesn't mean anything to the quality of the movie. It's just something you read in a review.

I'll leave my [mocking voice]"fun"[/mocking voice] movies to Pixar and I'll leave my dramas and action movies to writers of gritty, interesting stories that make you think and feel thank you very much.

[Image: oscar.png]
31-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Go here for comic hero discussion. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
31-03-2016, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 11:10 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(31-03-2016 08:38 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Also, Marvel movies are allowed to have fun. DC movies are all strictly in the 'no-fun' zone.
See, what the fuck does that even mean? I've come across this plenty of times, all the reviews say this. But it doesn't mean anything.

This is what it means. When you're in the third act, the stakes have been raised, everything is on the line, and the movies can still make you smile.

Avengers: Age of Ultron, the whole crew is on a city floating miles above ground doing their best to rescue civilians while fighting off the minions of Ultron (unlike Superman, who just would have demolished everything and everyone with punches). Even during all of this, Vision gets a cheap shot at Ultron with Mjolnier and remarks how the hammer is "Terribly well balanced.", to which Thor agrees and notes that you don't want too much weight or else you lose power in the swing. It means that Quicksilver can be a smarmy jackass and rib Hawkeye about being an old man and unable to keep up, and after he runs past for the umpteenth time, Hawkeye draws him bow on him and remarks out loud to himself "Nobody would know. Nobody. The last I saw him, Ultron was sitting on him. Uh... yeah, he'll be missed. That quick little bastard. I miss him already..."

It means that the end of the world can be on the line, and Nick Furry can give Captain America gruff over his language ("You kiss your mother with that mouth?").

Marvel movies can have fun with the potential end of the world, DC movies can not.

Seriously, you needed this explained to you?

The fact that Space Jesus can never crack a smile or come close to even enjoying being a near literal god for even a second of run-time? That he's a 100% moping sad sack all of the time? Combine that with the plot of both Zack Snyder movies being an absolute clusterfuck? This is probably why my favorite movie of his is Watchmen, because it was a near direct adaptation of an Allan Moore comic with a screenplay written by David Hayter (fun fact: Hayter is the voice of Solid Snake, fuck you Kojima and Sutherland). Basically, Synder wasn't allowed to butcher the story.

The only reason I'm at all even remotely interested in Suicide Squad is because I'm pretty sure I heard a joke or two and saw someone crack a smile. They might actually be allowed to be serious, and have some fun. Superman can't have fun, but Deadshot and Harely Quinn can. Go figure...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
01-04-2016, 12:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2016 07:49 AM by Chas.)
(31-03-2016 09:33 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 06:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, they aren't. If Peter Fucking Jackson wanted to tell a different story then he should not have called it Lord of the Rings. That title was already taken.

Deal with that.

Different story? If he had called it anything else, people would have said it was a complete rip off of LOTR... So while it had changes, it was about as good of an adaptation as we could expect.

You have low expectations. Dodgy

Quote:The Hobbit movies sucked, but I really don't understand what your issue was with LOTR

Important story elements were haphazardly changed. Jackson missed the main point of the entire tale by eliminating the actual ending.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-04-2016, 04:47 AM
just watched Corner Gas the Movie. It was excellent. Just found out about it a few months ago, so it was a total surprise. A movie made from a TV show that ended 5 years prior is pretty rare, i think.
01-04-2016, 07:04 AM
(01-04-2016 12:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  Important story elements were haphazardly changed. Jackson missed the main point of the entire tale by eliminating the actual ending.

I'll give him points for creating a very Middle-Earthy looking set though. The visualization was pretty goddamn fantastic even if there were some seriously shitty bits (like the bit where Aragorn gets chewed up by a wolf rider and left for dead - WTF?). Overall I'd say he did a decent job - LOTR it was not, but as a stand alone set of movies it was pretty well done.

The adaptation of the Hobbit was and is and will always be an abomination.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post