Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
01-04-2016, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2016 07:47 AM by Chas.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(01-04-2016 07:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 12:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  Important story elements were haphazardly changed. Jackson missed the main point of the entire tale by eliminating the actual ending.

I'll give him points for creating a very Middle-Earthy looking set though. The visualization was pretty goddamn fantastic

The actors, the sets, the costumes, the props, the animations were all excellent.

Quote:even if there were some seriously shitty bits (like the bit where Aragorn gets chewed up by a wolf rider and left for dead - WTF?).

Did I mention the haphazard, pointless plot changes? Consider

Quote:Overall I'd say he did a decent job - LOTR it was not, but as a stand alone set of movies it was pretty well done.

Yes, that has been my view all along. My short-term upset is vastly overshadowed by the fact that there will be no good LotR movies in my lifetime. Jackson ruined that.

Quote:The adaptation of the Hobbit was and is and will always be an abomination.

No truer words ...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-04-2016, 07:50 AM
(30-03-2016 06:37 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 08:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  He probably studied under Peter Jackson. Drinking Beverage

Lord of The Rings were movie masterpieces. Deal with it.

I'd guess you've not read the books. Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-04-2016, 09:44 AM
(01-04-2016 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 06:37 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Lord of The Rings were movie masterpieces. Deal with it.

I'd guess you've not read the books. Consider

Things were changed. I feel that most of the changes were for the worse, but they were still pretty incredible movies.

The changes didn't really affect the overall story. It's not like they sent Frodo alone across middle earth with no witnesses, and then everybody was like "maybe God?" (Contact)..
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
01-04-2016, 10:00 AM
(01-04-2016 09:44 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'd guess you've not read the books. Consider

Things were changed. I feel that most of the changes were for the worse, but they were still pretty incredible movies.

The changes didn't really affect the overall story. It's not like they sent Frodo alone across middle earth with no witnesses, and then everybody was like "maybe God?" (Contact)..

Yes, they did affect the story.

"Important story elements were haphazardly changed. Jackson missed the main point of the entire tale by eliminating the actual ending."

01-04-2016, 10:42 AM
(01-04-2016 10:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 09:44 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Things were changed. I feel that most of the changes were for the worse, but they were still pretty incredible movies.

Yes, they did affect the story.

"Important story elements were haphazardly changed. Jackson missed the main point of the entire tale by eliminating the actual ending."

Well, the ending in the book would have been really hard to make a movie scene from though IIRC? It was kinda a post WWII clean-up-the-festering-remnants-of-evil-and-rebuild thing, along with kicking Wormtongue out of the Shire, and then a looooooooooong wait, and then everyone fucks off to Grey havens and eventually to ... can't remember the name, but Elvish heaven basically. The book ending made me sad Sad Especially Arwen dying.

I think those modifications in the movie are more or less understandable, the ones I can't forgive are the egregious bullshit ones. Like a cavalry charge started from within the castle? WTF kind of stupid tactics is that? And Boromir gets absolutely riddled with arrows and still can go toe to toe with a fuck-off hardcore Orc?

Actually that's my problem with most movies with military elements - not that I know much about the same - but the commanders in movies seem to come up with strategies about as logical as those that would be conceived by a constipated toddler trying to decide whether to pull down their shorts first or run to the loo first.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-04-2016, 09:57 PM
(01-04-2016 10:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  Actually that's my problem with most movies with military elements - not that I know much about the same - but the commanders in movies seem to come up with strategies about as logical as those that would be conceived by a constipated toddler trying to decide whether to pull down their shorts first or run to the loo first.

Might I suggest 300: Rise of an Empire?

If you thought that the fight between Emperor Xerxes and King Leonidas was that of a galumphing oaf against a big dumb baby? This movie agrees with you.

It is the original's older and wiser stepbrother. While it really is an entirely superfluous followup, 300 didn't need a sequel, it is a better movie than the original. It's a lot of fun to see naval battles from this time in history, and our hero Themistocles (an every-man and senator, not a warrior king) relies upon clever tactics to hold his own against the many times larger Persian fleet.

Also Eva Green as Artemisia owns the movie whenever she is on screen.

[Image: 300-ta.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
01-04-2016, 11:13 PM
(01-04-2016 10:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 10:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, they did affect the story.

Well, the ending in the book would have been really hard to make a movie scene from though IIRC?

I can't see why. Consider

Quote: It was kinda a post WWII clean-up-the-festering-remnants-of-evil-and-rebuild thing, along with kicking Wormtongue out of the Shire, and then a looooooooooong wait,

What long wait? Consider

Quote:and then everyone fucks off to Grey havens and eventually to ...

Not everyone. Frodo, Gandalf, and some elves. Merry, Pippin, and Sam return to the Shire.

Quote:can't remember the name,

Passed on into the West, possibly The Blessed Realm(?).

Quote:but Elvish heaven basically. The book ending made me sad Sad Especially Arwen dying.

Arwen doesn't die, she just chooses to be mortal, marrying Aragorn and becoming Queen of Gondor.

Quote:I think those modifications in the movie are more or less understandable, the ones I can't forgive are the egregious bullshit ones.

Most of them were bullshit. Drinking Beverage

02-04-2016, 01:52 AM
(01-04-2016 10:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  The book ending made me sad Sad Especially Arwen dying.

I find LOTR to be mostly sad wit few shinning moments of happiness and awesomeness.

Also Arwen dies in the addendum A not book itself. It's indeed sad though.

(01-04-2016 10:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  And Boromir gets absolutely riddled with arrows and still can go toe to toe with a fuck-off hardcore Orc?

If I remember right he was riddled with arrows in book too. It's just how the heroes die - defying the death to the last and not giving a damn about such things as wounds.

(01-04-2016 10:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  Actually that's my problem with most movies with military elements - not that I know much about the same - but the commanders in movies seem to come up with strategies about as logical as those that would be conceived by a constipated toddler trying to decide whether to pull down their shorts first or run to the loo first.

Movies may try to hard but how many viewers would be able to tell that strategy used was really brilliant? I think it's easier to say that x was work of god like military genius than show how said x was such and risk that no one will be able to comprehend it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-04-2016, 02:11 AM
I'm just happy Tom Bombadil wasn't in the first movie, because Tom Bombadil can fuck right off a cliff and die in a fire.

[Image: come-at-me-bro.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-04-2016, 03:49 AM
(02-04-2016 02:11 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'm just happy Tom Bombadil wasn't in the first movie, because Tom Bombadil can fuck right off a cliff and die in a fire.

[Image: come-at-me-bro.jpg]

Philistine

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post