Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
21-06-2016, 08:26 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(21-06-2016 07:57 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 06:40 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Am I the only one who hated The Martian?

Why?

im not sure. im no expert on anything, but found myself saying "bullshit" a lot. i was also hoping that the main character would show more psychological stress wíle being isolated for so long. he generally just acted like it was one big inconvenience to him. i woulda lost my mind, personally. i never really felt like he was in any danger. the whole parachute capsule sequence at the end was ridiculous too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2016, 08:28 AM
(21-06-2016 07:57 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 06:40 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Am I the only one who hated The Martian?

Why?

im not sure. im no expert on anything, but found myself saying "bullshit" a lot. i was also hoping that the main character would show more psychological stress wíle being isolated for so long. he generally just acted like it was one big inconvenience to him. i woulda lost my mind, personally. i never really felt like he was in any danger. the whole tarp/capsule sequence at the end was ridiculous too.
21-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Eye in the Sky.

Perfect example of inflated bureaucracy getting in the way of shit getting done.

[Image: oscar.png]
22-06-2016, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2016 12:07 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Kidnapped for Christ 9/10. Evangelical film student goes to Dominican Republic to show how awesome a school is that parents send their kids to for behavior modification. The camping experience begins, according to the interviews with campers, with masked men taking future campers from their bedrooms and parents refusing to help, then dragging through an airport tied up. What the film student finds is rampant physical, emotional, spiritual (and allegations of sexual) abuse that makes her question her faith and gets her in hot water with the camp staff, who for some reason aren't keen on her asking about the "Quiet Room" where a former staff member alleges that torture would take place in. I've seen previous reviews of it by TheBibleReloaded and JaclynGlenn...you atheists are too kind about it when reviewing. Longform descriptions of the abuse and such in the spoiler tags:
I had to take multiple breaks in this 85 minute long movie, because it was horrifying. Parents paying to have their kids behavior modified and kids recounting things like:
1) Being woken by masked men in the night and then tied up with belts and dragged through airports.
2) Being held against their will after their 18th birthday.
3) Being beaten with homemade whips made out of belts.
4) Being forced to run until you cough up blood.
5) Being locked in the QR (Quiet Room), a windowless and unventilated shack that is five foot by teen foot in the Caribbean heat for days on end with only a bucket to use the bathroom in. (One person who got this punishment was claustrophobic anyhow.)
6) Being unable to even enter a room without permission depending on their "level" they had from the camp owner and counselors.
7) Arbitrary "exercise" punishments at the desire of the counselors for any offense or no offense at all.
8) No medical treatment.
9) Refusing to allow people backed with the authority of the U.S. Consul to the Dominican Republic to enter the camp to retrieve a person. They eventually had to get a US judge to issue a Writ of Habeas Corpus to get an illegally held 18 year old out. Demanding the 18 year old show up in his court room in the U.S.
10) Leaving former campers with symptoms of (and I'm 99% certain they actually do have it) PTSD. Shaking while talking about the place, nightmares, etc.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-06-2016, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2016 10:17 AM by ghostexorcist.)
What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

4/5

A New Zealand mockumentary about vampires living in the modern world. Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords stars as Vlad the Impaler, one of four vampires who live in a Wellington flat. The movie also has werewolves and zombies. Check it out.
26-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Saved! A delightful comedy about a girl who has to question her faith and finds it transformed after she becomes pregnant when trying to use sex to de-gay her boyfriend. Every stereotyped character, I went, "oh that reminds me of [insert person I know!]"

8/10

26-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Independence Day: Resurgence

I want my money back.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Take Me To The River

5/5

Throughout, there is an intensity that keeps you on edge, wondering what is going to happen next. In the end, something is subtlety revealed with such a powerful and explosive impact that you will be left breathless.
27-06-2016, 08:15 AM
I watched this film yesterday. I loved it. I worked with Brian around 93 and the film was set the year before. Great guy. Polite and respectful of everyone.

I also like drummer Hal Blaine was represented quite heavily.

Pet sounds. One of the greatest albums ever released. It led to Sgt Pepper and the progressive rock movement.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
29-06-2016, 06:10 PM
ID4: Resurgence

Not going as far as FC; I also saw it on $5 Tuesday though. It suffers from Roland Emmerich's greatest failing (aside from questionable moral decisions in 2012...why am I supposed to cheer the 'hero' who almost dooms an entire ark of tens of thousands to let some extra people they don't have supplies for in while the waters are crashing against the side of the ship?), the need to have a giant cast and then everyone gets so little screentime that everything seems rushed and no one gets truly fleshed out. It was decent, and it's not like the original is Casablanca, but still, the original was better.

3.5/5 for me overall; a nice change from the cheesy Christian movies I've been watching.