Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
23-07-2012, 10:39 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
From what I remember golden compass didn't do too well overall and plans for sequels were scrapped.

I'm sure it didn't help that the religious were spamming their message all over the place trying to get the series cancelled.

Annoying but also occasionally effective. At the time atheists weren't as strong and open as they have become. Which means that with all Of the barking being done almost none of it was from the "other" side. It didn't help that most people weren't even aware of the storyline. I was only initially of the opinion that it was just another kids fantasy adventure.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2012, 11:20 PM
This is quite possibly the best movie I've seen all year. I'd give it a ... 10ish - ok, maybe 9.75.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
24-07-2012, 12:07 AM
(23-07-2012 10:39 AM)lucradis Wrote:  From what I remember golden compass didn't do too well overall and plans for sequels were scrapped.

I'm sure it didn't help that the religious were spamming their message all over the place trying to get the series cancelled.

Annoying but also occasionally effective. At the time atheists weren't as strong and open as they have become. Which means that with all Of the barking being done almost none of it was from the "other" side. It didn't help that most people weren't even aware of the storyline. I was only initially of the opinion that it was just another kids fantasy adventure.

Not only that, but now it is already too late to film the sequels as the main actress has grown from little girl to big girl, so she does not fit in the movie anymore. If anyone wants to continue this movie, they have to start all over again. A real shame, the movie(s) had quite a potential, for a fantasy story. I like fantasy stories.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-07-2012, 06:09 AM
Battleship - 4/5. Got some obvious holes but it moves right along. Opening act is funny stuff. Big Grin

From stuff above: The Golden Compass was decent - 3/5 - book way better. Tongue

Stardust - 2/5.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
25-07-2012, 06:14 AM
error, see below
25-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Just watched "Paul" and loved it. Great atheist theme in it too.

[+] 2 users Like Jeff's post
25-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Not the most recent movie I've seen, but everyone who feels the need to join this forum should seriously watch this movie as (IMO) you're going to like it. It's technically a sci-fi movie, but with a budget of practically zero. It is essentially a play, containing nothing but dialogue, but don't let that put you off.

The Man from Earth (torrent)
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
25-07-2012, 08:11 AM
We discussed that movie over and over, and it is maybe my favorite movie of all time. 10/10

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...arth--5635

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-07-2012, 08:20 AM
(25-07-2012 08:11 AM)Filox Wrote:  We discussed that movie over and over, and it is maybe my favorite movie of all time. 10/10

Cool that it already got a mention. Can't hurt to repeat it for those who haven't heard of it, yet. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
25-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Watched Super 8 for the second time last night. Wife hadn't seen it yet.

Still find it bland and uninteresting. It's not bad by any means, it's just flaccid. There's no real build up, no pay off, and no interesting characters. From what I read, JJ was trying to make an homage to the old 80's Spielberg adventure flicks, and I really don't think he achieved that goal.

My biggest complaint is one I have with JJ. Fuck off with the lens flares dude, they look dumb and are genuinely distracting. Especially when there are lens flares without a source of light. Derr. Instead of having some irritating lens flare as a signature, how about just gaining the reputation as a phenomenal film maker.

Star Trek I actually liked. Superb casting.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post