Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
05-08-2016, 10:53 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(05-08-2016 10:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 08:11 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I just saw that last week, and I liked it too. For the first half hour or so, I had a hard time understanding what was going on, but that may have been intentional. The crew didn't know what was going on either.

In general, I like the new series of Star Trek movies. I think they did a great job of finding actors who are believable as younger versions of the old crew -- and likable in their own right as well.

One thing I found pretty wild - was how much Karl Urban sounds like Deforest Kelly - very similar voice...

The other thing I found kinda cool - was they made Sulu gay - he's shown with his husband and child. But -- oddly enough, George Takai wasn't real happy about it... He though Sulu's character was always hetro - and should have been left that way. George thought they should have created a new character who as gay. Oh well...................(or) Oh myyyyy......

I think they make too much of the gay/hetero thing. The only sexual interaction of any kind that they ever showed on the old TV show was Kirk flirting with every female in sight. For just about any other character, there was no indication one way or the other. For all practical purposes, they were all asexual. And if they took that one scene out of the movie (what was it, about 10 seconds?), we wouldn't have had a clue about Sulu's sexual orientation. It's not like he pilots the ship "in a gay manner" or anything.

I think my favorite of the new crew is Simon Pegg as Scotty. But they are all very good.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2016, 11:02 AM
(05-08-2016 10:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 08:11 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I just saw that last week, and I liked it too. For the first half hour or so, I had a hard time understanding what was going on, but that may have been intentional. The crew didn't know what was going on either.

In general, I like the new series of Star Trek movies. I think they did a great job of finding actors who are believable as younger versions of the old crew -- and likable in their own right as well.

One thing I found pretty wild - was how much Karl Urban sounds like Deforest Kelly - very similar voice...

The other thing I found kinda cool - was they made Sulu gay - he's shown with his husband and child. But -- oddly enough, George Takai wasn't real happy about it... He though Sulu's character was always hetro - and should have been left that way. George thought they should have created a new character who as gay. Oh well...................(or) Oh myyyyy......

I get what Takai was saying. Sulu's character wasn't introduced as gay from the onset. I doubt he would have complained about it. I just watched the first movie and he's checking out some women, just glances.

But it's there. I think what Takai felt, instead of making Sulu gay, they could have introduced a new gay character.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-08-2016, 01:46 PM
(05-08-2016 11:02 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 10:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  One thing I found pretty wild - was how much Karl Urban sounds like Deforest Kelly - very similar voice...

I get what Takai was saying. Sulu's character wasn't introduced as gay from the onset. I doubt he would have complained about it. I just watched the first movie and he's checking out some women, just glances.

But it's there. I think what Takai felt, instead of making Sulu gay, they could have introduced a new gay character.

I hear ya...

But - I do think it was a nice homage to George the man, not Sulu the character.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
05-08-2016, 03:23 PM
[Image: 220px-Agoraposter09.jpg]
It takes places in the city of Alexandra around the final days of the Roman Empire and resolve around the Greek Philosopher Hypatia. Relgious conflict is high, Christianity is becoming more domeninte and it followers more brave. Pagans and Jews of the area are not without "sin" and push back escalating many street fights.

Hypatia's father runs the Library of the Serapeum. One of the final sister librays of the great Library of Alexandria. (One of the greatest, if not the greatest library of ancient time) The great library was lost to a fire, and all that remained of the information that laid inside laid inside of the walls of the Serapeum. When conflicts raised on faithful day (pun intended) the pagans seeked refugee in the walls of the library.

Hypatia, has a higher interest in knowledge, and feels gods are a silly idea. And becomes a target of the Christians that feel woman should not hold a place of authority, over men.

I really liked this movie. It's quiet historically accurate and has an "atheist" as a lead. Which I don't really find in cinema. The sets and acting are also well done. And you get the sense of the time very quickly.

My wife (a christian) didn't like it. She felt it painted the Christians as evil people and she left half way threw.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
07-08-2016, 04:11 PM
(05-08-2016 03:23 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
[Image: 220px-Agoraposter09.jpg]
It takes places in the city of Alexandra around the final days of the Roman Empire and resolve around the Greek Philosopher Hypatia. Relgious conflict is high, Christianity is becoming more domeninte and it followers more brave. Pagans and Jews of the area are not without "sin" and push back escalating many street fights.

Hypatia's father runs the Library of the Serapeum. One of the final sister librays of the great Library of Alexandria. (One of the greatest, if not the greatest library of ancient time) The great library was lost to a fire, and all that remained of the information that laid inside laid inside of the walls of the Serapeum. When conflicts raised on faithful day (pun intended) the pagans seeked refugee in the walls of the library.

Hypatia, has a higher interest in knowledge, and feels gods are a silly idea. And becomes a target of the Christians that feel woman should not hold a place of authority, over men.

I really liked this movie. It's quiet historically accurate and has an "atheist" as a lead. Which I don't really find in cinema. The sets and acting are also well done. And you get the sense of the time very quickly.

My wife (a christian) didn't like it. She felt it painted the Christians as evil people and she left half way threw.

I've been meaning to watch it ever since I saw this wonderful review

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
07-08-2016, 08:08 PM
[Image: batman_the_killing_joke-391866587-large.jpg]

Eh, it wasn't too shabby. But overall I figured it was going to be amazing, so I was rather disappointed. Quickly scanned over some reviews before I watched it, and almost everyone said the first half was pointless. I figured they were being overly harsh, but it really was totally unnecessary. Strayed from the comic, changed one character's personality compeltely, and added absolutely nothing to the overall story. Still, the second half was almost a direct adaptation of the comic. So while it didn't do anything unexpected or interesting, it was pretty faithful to the original source material. Hamill and Conroy were as good as ever, also.
07-08-2016, 08:30 PM
The Campaign. 4/5

Great satire to revisit in this political season. Cam Brady is a politician in a sex scandal, so an eccentric man is chosen to run against him by the thinly veiled Koch brothers. It lampoons the whole fake image we present and the behind the scenes stuff that goes on. The war between the candidates continues to escalate through the entire film, including baby punching, dog punching, sex tape commercials with one screwing the other's wife, and a "hunting accident" in retaliation where one shoots the other in front of a group of hunters and "nobody saw anything" and even a hilarious snake handling scene in a church where a candidate is bitten and yells a series of curses, which the churchgoers condemn him for, and then he goes, "God has cured me of the venom in my veins and the blasphemy in my heart!" and then falls through a stained glass window. Real world media personalities guest star as themselves, including Wolf Blitzer of CNN, MSNBC's Chis Matthews, and Bill Maher.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2016, 04:24 AM
Reservoir Dogs: 8.5/10

A true classic, with a moderate budget, but masterfully written. Has some of the most chilling moments in film (the scene with "Stuck in the middle with you") and a few amazing plot twists.
08-08-2016, 05:19 AM
(07-08-2016 08:30 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The Campaign. 4/5

Great satire to revisit in this political season. Cam Brady is a politician in a sex scandal, so an eccentric man is chosen to run against him by the thinly veiled Koch brothers. It lampoons the whole fake image we present and the behind the scenes stuff that goes on. The war between the candidates continues to escalate through the entire film, including baby punching, dog punching, sex tape commercials with one screwing the other's wife, and a "hunting accident" in retaliation where one shoots the other in front of a group of hunters and "nobody saw anything" and even a hilarious snake handling scene in a church where a candidate is bitten and yells a series of curses, which the churchgoers condemn him for, and then he goes, "God has cured me of the venom in my veins and the blasphemy in my heart!" and then falls through a stained glass window. Real world media personalities guest star as themselves, including Wolf Blitzer of CNN, MSNBC's Chis Matthews, and Bill Maher.

I you want a great "election movie" -- try and find "Riders of the Storm"....

Mega strange/funny movie....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-08-2016, 06:45 PM
(07-08-2016 08:08 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  [Image: batman_the_killing_joke-391866587-large.jpg]

Eh, it wasn't too shabby. But overall I figured it was going to be amazing, so I was rather disappointed. Quickly scanned over some reviews before I watched it, and almost everyone said the first half was pointless. I figured they were being overly harsh, but it really was totally unnecessary. Strayed from the comic, changed one character's personality compeltely, and added absolutely nothing to the overall story. Still, the second half was almost a direct adaptation of the comic. So while it didn't do anything unexpected or interesting, it was pretty faithful to the original source material. Hamill and Conroy were as good as ever, also.

Yea when I watched it I thought the first half was completely pointless too.
So did my flatmate. My flatmate has read the comic and said that that first half isn't even in the comic, apparently a bunch of feminist had a cry about it so they added that first half in or some shit?? Either way it felt more like 2 episodes of a tv series than a movie.

I saw Suicide Squad at the movies over the weekend.
It was great. 7.5/10.
This Joker is sublime. So so so so much better than Dark Knight Joker.
Jared Leto fucking NAILED it.

[Image: oscar.png]