Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
07-10-2016, 02:13 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
The Rock - 8/10

A lot of Nicolas Cage's acting throughout the movie was cringy, but Sean Connery, on the other hand, played his role masterfully. His character reminded me a lot of Anthony Hopkins' version of Hannibal when he was first introduced. My favorite parts of the movie are the intro and the President's phone call towards the end of the movie. Those scenes touched me deeply. I think it's the only movie Michael Bay ever made that I liked. Warning: Spoilers below.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
08-10-2016, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2016 11:04 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(07-10-2016 02:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  The Rock - 8/10

A lot of Nicolas Cage's acting throughout the movie was cringy, but Sean Connery, on the other hand, played his role masterfully. His character reminded me a lot of Anthony Hopkins' version of Hannibal when he was first introduced. My favorite parts of the movie are the intro and the President's phone call towards the end of the movie. Those scenes touched me deeply. I think it's the only movie Michael Bay ever made that I liked. Warning: Spoilers below.

That movie is so much fun, one of my all time favorites. Plus, that's Cage just being goofy in a really endearing way. Before this movie, he was a darling of indie comedy films, like Raising Arizona. It really was strange casting at the time. I mean, not quite as out there and sea change inducing as Bruce Willis being cast as the lead in Die Hard (which helped pave the way for every-man leads, like Cage), but it comes close to being almost as weird.

Plus, Ed Harris is a fucking boss, and one of the best movie bad guys of all time.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-10-2016, 01:40 AM
(08-10-2016 12:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

That movie is so much fun, one of my all time favorites. Plus, that's Cage just being goofy in a really endearing way. Before this movie, he was a darling of indie comedy films, like Raising Arizona. It really was strange casting. I mean, not quite as out there and sea change inducing as Bruce Willis being cast as the lead in Die Hard, but it comes close to being almost as weird.

Plus, Ed Harris is a fucking boss, and one of the best movie bad guys of all time.
It took some time for me to mentally disconnect Ed Herris from the role he played in the only other movie I had seen him in at that point - Glengarry Glen Ross. Laugh out load

08-10-2016, 01:57 AM
(08-10-2016 01:40 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 12:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That movie is so much fun, one of my all time favorites. Plus, that's Cage just being goofy in a really endearing way. Before this movie, he was a darling of indie comedy films, like Raising Arizona. It really was strange casting. I mean, not quite as out there and sea change inducing as Bruce Willis being cast as the lead in Die Hard, but it comes close to being almost as weird.

It took some time for me to mentally disconnect Ed Herris from the role he played in the only other movie I had seen him in at that point - Glengarry Glen Ross. Laugh out load

What movies is that? Looks like I need to add it to me 'unwatched Pachino movies' list.

08-10-2016, 10:47 AM
(08-10-2016 01:57 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 01:40 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It took some time for me to mentally disconnect Ed Herris from the role he played in the only other movie I had seen him in at that point - Glengarry Glen Ross. Laugh out load

What movies is that? Looks like I need to add it to me 'unwatched Pachino movies' list.
"Glengarry Glen Ross" is the name of the movie. I've completely lost count of how many times I've rewatched it. Tongue

The basic premise of the movie is that a bunch of deadbeat real estate agents are given one last chance to either redeem themselves or get fired. The constant outbursts of anger are pretty hilarious.

08-10-2016, 10:58 AM
The Equalizer

A solid 7/10, an excellent 'dad movie', great for simple power fantasy wish fulfillment on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

08-10-2016, 11:05 AM
(08-10-2016 12:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

That movie is so much fun, one of my all time favorites. Plus, that's Cage just being goofy in a really endearing way. Before this movie, he was a darling of indie comedy films, like Raising Arizona. It really was strange casting at the time. I mean, not quite as out there and sea change inducing as Bruce Willis being cast as the lead in Die Hard (which helped pave the way for every-man leads, like Cage), but it comes close to being almost as weird.

That reminds me, DIE HARD is still fucking awesome.

09-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Obviously I haven't seen this yet since it isn't out yet. I'm just really excited since I had no idea they were making a sequel. Loved the first movie.

Here's the trailer if anyone is interested.

10-10-2016, 12:22 AM
Just saw the new film, Birth of a Nation. It was very well done. The story was based on the true events in the life of Nat Turner, who led a rebellion of slaves and free blacks in Virginia in 1831.

There were a couple of shots I felt were either a bit trite or at least, could have been done a bit differently. Otherwise, it was well written, acted and directed by Nate Parker.

It's been written about for over 170 years so, it's about time the story becomes official US history.

I'll give it an 8 out of 10. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
10-10-2016, 12:42 AM
(10-10-2016 12:22 AM)kim Wrote:  It's been written about for over 170 years so, it's about time the story becomes official US history.

I'll give it an 8 out of 10. Thumbsup

It's always been a part of our history, even if some have done their best to attempt to wipe it out. That being said, the movie is a piece of cultural myth-making; lionizing Nat Turner and his story in the same way that generations prior did to Davey Crockett. So i'd be wary of mistaking it with hard history, and just enjoy it for what it is; someone in Hollywood giving Nat Turner his chance at the 'Elizabeth:The Golden Age' treatment.

[Image: elizabeth-golden-age1.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post