Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
15-11-2016, 05:18 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(15-11-2016 04:49 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Agreed, and it was nice to have a movie where science, not blowing stuff up, is the focus!

Oh so true. I'm so tired of movie explosions. Do directors think it's like unique or something? What's unique these days are people having a conversation in a movie that has more than two or three sentences.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-11-2016, 08:14 PM
(15-11-2016 05:18 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 04:49 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Agreed, and it was nice to have a movie where science, not blowing stuff up, is the focus!

Oh so true. I'm so tired of movie explosions. Do directors think it's like unique or something?

Michael Bay thinks so.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
15-11-2016, 10:38 PM
At work.

I must be a jaded old fart..... because I found Arrival as boring as fek. Consider
16-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Did you know that I lived on the edge of a paranormal nexus know as The Bridgewater Triangle? Yeah, me neither.

Now I got this song going in my head, a paranormal investigator is a person in your neighborhood... Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2016, 07:24 PM
(16-11-2016 01:00 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Did you know that I lived on the edge of a paranormal nexus know as The Bridgewater Triangle? Yeah, me neither.

Now I got this song going in my head, a paranormal investigator is a person in your neighborhood... Laugh out load

The Bridgewater Triangle Laughat

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
16-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)

3/5

This movie was beautifully animated and the story was interesting to some degree. However, beyond some very predictable plot elements, the single worst aspect of the film was the voice acting (if you even want to call it that) of Matthew McConaughey. Really? They couldn't have chosen someone with better acting chops? Instead, I had to listen to him mouth breathe for the duration of the film. For shame on the a-hole who thought casting him was the right choice.

Let's not forget that a film set in ancient Japan was voiced almost entirely by white actors. Sure, the production unit hired some Japanese actors, such as George Takei, but they only voiced background characters. This kind of got on my nerves, too.
18-11-2016, 12:10 PM
sausage party, because I've read the name in this thread, so when I found it, I thought I would give it a try Smile
Original, some fun scenes, not the best, but still a rather enjoyable animation movie !
18-11-2016, 12:21 PM
(15-11-2016 03:02 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The Arrival 5/5. An intelligent, well thought out film. Though if you go see it, a spoiler-ific warning:
Remember that time is, time was, and time will be. Time is also not.
That box of books.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
18-11-2016, 12:22 PM

And giving Alex Jones the air time he deserves! Censored
19-11-2016, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2016 01:24 AM by houseofcantor.)
I'm lazy, we're cheesy; standard operating procedure is to just watch the cam on black netflix. So we do, and my buddy's like "kinda glad I didn't pay for that one" and I'm like "Imma go see that." And my buddy's like "when do you go outside" And I'm like "now; and not only that, Imma spend your money to watch it." And he's like, "OK Donald Trump."

And I go to my bestie - his wife - "when do you wanna go see this movie?" And she's like, "How about now?"

She laughed. I laughed. He laughed. The couch laughed. We killed the couch. Good times. Laugh out load

The Arrival 11/10

Addendum-dum-dum:

Five o'clock and the motherfuckers are like, what are we gonna watch; black netflix says nunya. But there's an Arrival cam.

Start this mother up, immediately I'm like: this is a mistake. Can't hear shit, can't much see shit; here we are wasting another potentially decent flick with our cheese. Spend like 90% of the onboard CPU straining to make out WTF is going on. But I persevere. And then it's over.

Seven o'clock and I'm here telling stories. The only movie to previously demand an immediate sequential viewing was Cloud Atlas; the only movie to demand I actually get off my ass and spend money and go outside (even worse) was this one.

Nine o'clock, and we're there. Early as fuck stocking up on the munchies. And then it's over.

Twelve o'clock and we're lost. But it's OK, we're all better now. Adds up to near seven hours of entertainment. Wasn't a dang movie, it was an event. To be fair and mediate the seemingly excessive praise, spent the day all high on my Gwynnies; so I was already in the right frame of mind for an event to eventualize.

The film itself is a fairly slow moving human drama. That's what it's about - humanity.

From the moment of building interest in the first viewing, I was like - these motherfuckers stuck their neck clean out of their bodies with this one. Normally I can nudge, nudge, wink, wink the black netflix; but when art appears, that shit's got to be acknowledged. Whatever the fuck I spent of my buddy's money is precious little in the grand scheme, but it had to be done. Furthermore I've devised some not so spoilerly spoilers to help in the marketing of a film that has linguistics, science, an explosion, sounds of gunfire, a hug; and not really a whole lot more... only in the sense that there is a large component of WTF is going on and a clue might enhance the experience. Click at your own risk.

In the beginning of the film ask yerself where is the daughter. In the middle of the film, ask yerself why that's the wrong question.

And yeah, still an 11/10. It clicked on all my clickly parts. Brilliantly conceptualized, brilliantly presented. If you don't see this movie, you hate science and also you're part of the reason Trump is president. Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post