Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
24-12-2016, 11:33 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(20-12-2016 06:08 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Rogue One: Way better than expected, and echoing the appreciation for Jessica Chastain from a couple of pages ago between Houseofcantor and I (wish she'd been in this too). My only real problem is that I didn't get the names of most of the supporting cast.

Spoilers below tags;I enjoyed a lot of the small touches they included in this film.

Red 5 explodes above the archives world. Luke later becomes Red 5 in A New Hope.

Bail Organa going back to Alderaan...RIP Bail.

We're replacing the no longer canon EU stuff of Dark Forces with this movie, and instead of Jan Ors we have Jin Orso.

Little nod to the amazing film Deep Impact at the end, where Jin and Forgettable Cass-something embrace as the explosion races at them from the ocean.
]

I thought is was good too. Although if they were going to CGI the dead or aged guys how the hell did they not put Porkins in it? WTF? Of all the easter eggs they put into this movie, how the hell did they miss Porkins?

And so what about the Red 5 thing? The military will add a new guy to an old callsign. That's no big deal.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
26-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Deepwater Horizon.

Wow, I was not expecting it to be that good.
Well worth a watch. I mean it was pretty predictable but still, it was pretty darn good.

[Image: oscar.png]
26-12-2016, 10:47 PM
I just finished watching Seven Samurai. I won't try and give this film a numerical rating; however, I will say that, IMO, this film is quite marvelous. Overall, I really like the humility, leadership, wit, and wisdom that was exhibited by the Samurai characters.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
29-12-2016, 09:10 PM
I just finished watching 10 things I hate about you (1999). I really enjoyed this movie: I liked the wittiness of the characters and the fact that the movie brought me back to my high school days (I was 14 when this came out). In particular, I can relate to the character of Cameron, as I have always been the introverted nerd.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
30-12-2016, 03:56 AM
The Accountant.

Really fucking good.

[Image: oscar.png]
30-12-2016, 04:03 AM
I saw Rogue One. I liked it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Spectral. Boring, not even watching it with friend and drinking were enough to avert boredom that this shit caused.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
31-12-2016, 08:04 PM
While because of "issues" I missed completely Dr Strange (which I did try to see but our timing was terrible), we did manage today to see Rogue One.

I will say I didn't know anything about the story, since I've been living under a rock since late July but found it nicely paced and honestly, much better than The Force Awakens (which felt a bit rushed and left me saying, WTF more than once).

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart/10

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-01-2017, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2017 06:09 PM by ghostexorcist.)
The Witch (2016)

4/5

This period piece follows a small family into the wilds of 1630s New England after being ostracized from the Puritan community for a differing interpretation of the Bible. The majority of the movie takes place in and around their simple homestead built roughly a year after their banishment. The family fears that their harvest will not be bountiful enough to last the winter, so father and son head into the forest to hunt for food. This leaves the older daughter to help her mother care for her younger siblings, including a baby brother who mysteriously disappears into the woods. The disappearance initiates a series of compounding events that sows discord within the family and results in charges of witchcraft against the daughter. There are supernatural elements in the film, but they only serve the purpose of creating said discord. The real focus is how the family's paranoid religious minds react to this stimuli.

Check it out if you get a chance. The film is slow, but I think the pacing serves to set up the spectacular ending. People who have studied the Salem witch trials will love the period accurate language and settings, as well as the nods to witchlore, such as "flying ointment". The credits note that much of the dialogue was lifted directly from historical court records.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
01-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Rogue One

I thought it was very well done. The pacing was brisk without being so fast you could not keep up, the story was fresh for a Star Wars film and overall this really felt like the Star Wars universe from another angle. The closest film I can think of to compare it to would be the Dirty Dozen (the american remake of Kurosawa's 7 Samurai).

5/7 perfect side-story set in an already amazing universe.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post