Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
22-01-2017, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2017 03:16 AM by Stevil.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Just saw Moana, what a great animated movie.
Fantastic songs, imaginative story, just fantastic. My favorite animation of the decade.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
29-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Hacksaw Ridge. Reminds me of a number of Clint Eastwood's films. It's brilliantly directed and produced. This film is probably not likely to entertain the ladies as much as male film-goers but it's protagonist's guiding principle, that we ought never, under any conceivable circumstances, to kill anyone else, remains worth repeating, as it has been in vain for many thousands of years.
[+] 2 users Like Gert Heide's post
31-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. Not good, not bad, entirely predictable.

The movie even self deprecates about how predictable it is.
"How did you know I was the traitor?"
"You were the only one who didn't die."

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2017, 12:00 AM
Superman (the Christopher Reeves one)

So yeah, I'd - gasp! Gasp - never seen this classic superhero movie before. Overall, I enjoyed it. There were a few wtf moments but I was impressed by many of the practical effects. Disappointed by Gene Hackman's performance, but I liked Reeves' portrayal of Superman. But that ending, though. Eegads, why? WHY?? It doesn't fucking work like that, Superman - you can't fucking do that! Facepalm Oye.

But by far, the worst, most unforgivable sin this movie committed was its blatant misrepresentation of Texas' shape. I mean, really - did they think they could slip this by any self-respecting Texan? We are confronted with the shape of our state on an almost hourly basis. We bake cookies in the shape of Texas. We make Texas-shaped chips. We have Texas on our t-shirts and on our pickups (everything's Texas edition). We have those branding-iron thingies for steaks (no idea what those are technically called, so yeah Tongue ) so you can brand your steak with the shape of Texas. Hell, me and Rev even saw a cutting board in the shape of Texas - we are so obsessed with the shape of our state that we will render a cutting board completely useless by forming it into the Lone Star State. So when Superman comes at me with this shit? I don't think so, sucka! Hobo

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
07-02-2017, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2017 01:24 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Silence. 4/5 Martin Scorcese's newest movie, about two Jesuit priests who go to Japan to search for their mentor who is said to have apostasized amidst a great persecution. I loved it, but the half dozen 60-70 year olds in the theater were absolutely furious with it by the end. Our protagonist begins with a strong faith and his partner is the one who needs constant reassurance, but by the end, the partner is the one who is martyred. While...well...spoilers for the other one.

Our protagonist at several points begins to doubt, to even ask God if He's real, and why all he hears from God in prayer is silence? Why does God remain silent when His people are suffering? Why does God not answer him? A few times we see him hallucinate a painting of Christ which inspired him as a child, such as when he's looking into the stream. Eventually, five Christians are being bled upside down over a pit, a slow death, and he's told that he can spare them. Just step on the image of Christ, "just a formality", go ahead, "koroburu", apostasize. He's struggling, having seen people decapitated, drowned on crosses in days worth of tides, etc. He's praying again when he hears a voice, "Step on me. I have been here in the silence, I have suffered alongside you, and alongside them. Step on me, so that they may live."

The ending is told from the perspective of a Dutch trader, about the ending of that priest's life a long time later, how he continued to have renounce his faith, and how the man who repeatedly renounced in the movie ended up being martyred. The priest, remarked the trader, in the end was "lost to God" seemingly. And how his body was placed under heavy guard before cremation, his wife only allowed to put a paper with a token in his hand to keep the spirits away. As the flames devoured the coffin, we zoom in beyond the fire to see something is grasped in his dead hands; a handmade crucifix that he was given by one of the men martyred near the film's beginning. In the end, though he has formally renounced the faith, he has never abandoned God fully.

Silence is about colonialism, and whether it's right for a foreign faith to invade a land. It's also at its core, about Doubt. Doubt is a constant companion for our main character once he's exposed to the harshness of life in 1600s Japan. Doubt only continues to surge and abate and surge again as he's forced to witness his followers tortured, decapitated, or otherwise killed. Doubt is there when he finally finds his mentor, who has seemingly abandoned the faith and is writing a book about the lies of Christianity. Doubt is the final, uncredited main character in this three hour film, because Doubt has the most screentime of all.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
07-02-2017, 02:17 PM
This is the most recent film I've seen. I really enjoyed it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
10-02-2017, 09:46 PM
I finished watching Blank Check (1994) a little while ago. This isn't a phenomenal movie by any means, but I'd still give it five stars for making me feel like a kid again.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
12-02-2017, 02:41 AM
Er ist wieder da. Nothing special to be honest. I was quite bored when the movie finally ended.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-02-2017, 03:12 AM
(29-01-2017 11:23 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  Hacksaw Ridge. Reminds me of a number of Clint Eastwood's films. It's brilliantly directed and produced. This film is probably not likely to entertain the ladies as much as male film-goers but it's protagonist's guiding principle, that we ought never, under any conceivable circumstances, to kill anyone else, remains worth repeating, as it has been in vain for many thousands of years.

I was directed by Mel Gibson (The Passion of the Christ, Braveheart), so he's all about protagonists getting the shit kicked out of them over their beliefs. Probably some sort of morbid Catholic guilt being played out, if Gibson's personal life is anything to go on.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-02-2017, 04:44 AM
(07-02-2017 02:17 PM)Banjo Wrote:  This is the most recent film I've seen. I really enjoyed it.

Oh - I loved Frank. Heart I thought the film was wonderful.

Great music. Wink

It was a true story - Frank was real guy. The film had a lot of heart.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post