Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
20-02-2017, 09:33 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Watched Calvary on Neflix over the weekend.

Well worth seeing. Brendan Gleeson is briliant, Chris O'Dowd plays it straight (for the most part) and does a fantastic job, and Kelly Reilly is spellbinding.

A tour-de-force by everyone involved.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
21-02-2017, 12:02 AM
Bendan Gleeson was a hoot in "The Guard".....

If you've never seen it - check it out.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-02-2017, 12:03 AM
(18-02-2017 11:56 PM)kim Wrote:  Well - this Cell thing turned out much better than it's beginning. It was suspenseful, the plot became more developed and the acting turned out to be quite honest. Much more to say than I expected from it. Very substantial. Shy

Had I paid attention, I'd have noticed the beginning credit: based on a story by Steven King. No wonder it got downright creepy.

I'd give it a seven out of ten. Thumbsup

The book had some great stuff that the book left out. That said -- the movie was quite fun.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-02-2017, 12:11 AM
(21-02-2017 12:03 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The book had some great stuff that the book left out.

That's... Russell's paradox...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-02-2017, 12:14 AM
(21-02-2017 12:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-02-2017 12:03 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The book had some great stuff that the book left out.

That's... Russell's paradox...

LOL..

No -- that's me extremely sleep deprived.

Syrup season -- cooking 24/7. I've had MAYBE 10 hours sleep in the last 6 days.

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Louis Theroux's "The Most Hated Family In America: In Crisis" is a follow up to his documentary on the Westboro Baptist Church. "Things are different now than they were when you were here a few years ago" starts the matriarch of the group at the beginning of the film. And she's right. They've expanded their operations to picketing soldiers funerals, and a number of their younger female members have left them. They've begun to play more on popular culture, and are spending 200k a year or so on air fare from what Louis is told. Theroux takes it all in stride as he's shown he has his own sign about himself going to Hell and is told be one young man who seeks to join WBC that he's talked about with the same tone as Pontius Pilate is.

Part of the brilliance of Theroux's documentary style is that he tries to be as inoffensive as possible, while still asking hard questions at times. He's a masterful communicator, but even he has to say, "Can we infer from the swastika that you're pro-Nazi now?" to one member after their anti-Jew video includes dancing Orthodox men with money and symbols like swastikas being used. He also manages to tease out that the WBC doesn't just picket the funerals, but they know all about the circumstances behind the death, those left behind, etc. They do their research!

Well worth a watch, though especially brutal if you saw the first one. Sad The innocent little kids in his first video are less so now.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
01-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Finally saw Doctor Strange. 3/5 it was a fun movie.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-03-2017, 02:17 PM
I watched "Logan" last night.
It's the Wolverine Older Logan of the future.

Not exactly what I was expecting. It was still very good but also very different from any X-Men movie that's been made. Great music, fantastic editing. Semi-solid story & good over all plot.

It was very down to earth, very realistic.
One might even say heart warming.

Some really great acting between Logan & Charles (Professor X). The girl playing X-23 aka Laura did a fantastic job with everything (stunt work, facial expressions, growls, etc)

She was very believable. Very talented.

I feel like they could have had a speech to all the Mercs before they got started.

"We are going after some very dangerous people. Most of you will probably get killed along the way. Those who survive will more than likely be maimed for life.

Now then ..... Who's with me ?"

That would have been a funny scene, but unfortunately this was not in the movie.

Given Everything I've said, there is a fair amount of violence. This isn't a movie you take your small kids to see. Teenagers shouldn't have too much trouble with it.

A very solid 4/5

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
03-03-2017, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 10:16 AM by Shai Hulud.)
So, this movie I've listened to a review for before on God Awful Movies, and seen on a Cracked article before. Now the GAM guys are in it for profit, and Cracked is in it for profit via pageviews. So surely we can take it with a grain of salt, right folks? So let's watch...The Unexpected Bar Mitzvah. Honestly, I thought I'd watched this before too, but guess it was some other generic Christians convert the Jews film.

So far the ads are for: Christian Movies Direct Dot Com, Where Was God (some sort of cop family drama?), and Creed of Gold (something about the Federal Reserve?). So here comes the DVD men--OH WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN INTO? I already feel anti-Semitic for watching the DVD menu with singing in Hebrew and some sort of weird mishmash between a Rabbi standing at a podium with a Crown of Thorns and Lamb of God on it, which is behind a prop Torah Scroll on display like a book diagonally (granted my knowledge of Judaism is sadly lacking, but this does not seem okay, at all), but is in front of the cross window.

This is a bit melodramatic, but ordering this DVD is now one of those minor life choices one wonders, "Why did I waste this money" at. I don't want to hit play. Also the options are sadly lacking; Play, Chapters, Subtitles, Trailer. (Confession? I don't want to hit play, also because the music is quite catchy.) Brought to us by Sword of the Spirit Publishing and Tru Media (Family Friendly Entertainment it's subtitled).
We're opening to a son in a Packers jersey telling his dad he thinks God is helping Tim Tebow with magic like Harry Potter. Dad is like, "God has anointed Tim Tebow to bring his name into the national spotlight." Kid wants to go do missionary work in the Philippines like Tim Tebow does. You know, that 90%+ nation. Oh look Jewish dad is angry at the very mention of Tebow praying to Jesus, also God of the Jews is not the God of Christianity. "if I hear any more about Tebow, then the TV stays off." Oh holy crap, we're at the 4:30 mark and Jewish dad is giving his son Abraham a book on the Holocaust.

And now we mention Christian kid reading a book and how he should instead just give to Gospel for Asia. Now Christian kid wants to witness to the Jewish community, mom seems to share conspiratorial glance with dad to say there are no Jews in their neighborhood, and suggests Native Americans instead. Now Christian dad gives his son the book "Ten Amazing Jews: They Thought for Themselves" by Sid Roth (hint, they stopped being Jewish).

Oh look, Jewish dad outright says, "Christians think that we killed their messiah". Now he's giving his son a book, "You Take Jesus, I'll Take God". GAM was right, this really is "give your kids books, the movie". Hava...you named the Jewish wife Hava? Now Jewish dad (Micah apparently) and Christian dad are...talking about a history professor job at a...university that Christian dad owns or something? First of all, this is not a "one guy would review and pull the trigger thing", I sat on a hiring committee this year, and last year. We reviewed easily 40+ applicants each year for our small university having one open position in our department, had a committee that had to continue meeting about it, reference materials, phone calls, phone interviews, before an on campus interview. This is just a phone call and bam you're hired. Also he's illegally asking if this guy is Jewish! You can't ask religion! "We're conservative Jewish and would never go to the Reformed Synagogue in Sioux Falls" an hour away; I'm not sure what conservative Jewish is, is that the same as Orthodox?

Also "one of our professors passed away and we must fill his classes immediately". You know what, that's not how that works either, see: legal hiring processes. I have a friend who started at a UNC school a few years ago and one of her colleagues was tragically killed in a car accident. They couldn't just randomly hire someone off the street, she ended up teaching the load a person would in a full year, in one semester, because someone had to teach those classes. They managed to hire someone by the next semester...barely. So yeah, they want an answer by today? What the heck. Also the phone scene bugs me for another reason, they try to make you hear the conversation through the phone instead of just dubbing the sound in normally.

Also Hava is from New York and they live in Washington state, and she sounds like she's from the Midwest. And I'm relatively certain I can pronounce "meshugganah" and "oy vey" better than this actress. Also "we can just stream a conservative synagogue over the internet". GAM was right, she whispers all her lines while Micah screams his in comparison. I put my TV up to 40 volume and could barely hear her at one point, I don't think a boom was anywhere near this actress, and when Micah's actor stops yelling his lines, he's not the easiest to hear either. They did not budget well for audio in this movie.

Christian dad is now telling his wife that he got a Jewish professor. Wife points out, quite rightly, it's a conflict of interest to be one's boss and one's landlord. Wife does, however, sound like she's from South Dakota. And Paul will want to test his missionary skills. Evil plumber calls someone to tell 'the boys I have an assignment for them'.

What the Hell, little girl sounding Holocaust montage of atrocities and this voiceover about how bodies fell down on her so she survived an experiment about how long it would take for her to freeze. Christian mom is listening to her kid asking why God allowed the Holocaust, "that's a really tough question and one I've wondered about all my life. I guess God gives everyone free will and God gave Nazis the free will." and God will give him the answer.

I think Micah just said it's freezing as he steps out of the car, but can't tell, the audio, again, is sucktastic. Hava, "There are churches everywhere!" Micah, "Welcome to the Bible Belt." <.< Not exactly, also velcro cross on the door of the Jewish guy you're renting to. Abe is now awkwardly flirting with neighbor girl. Zoom in to Sid Roth's book and "OVER A MILLION COPIES IN PRINT".

"Is this the little Jew boy?" "Ain't never seen a real Jew before, think I could kick his butt all by himself". Sarah says, "bullying is so not cool." to the blonde d-bag guys. Paul shows up to save them, "this isn't your fight jock boy, we're sending a message to the Jew boy to watch his step around town". Oh look, Abe discovered the book Paul dropped by Sid Roth about Jews who thought for themselves. Kids are walking away and again the audio is all muffled.

Oh "dietary constraints into consideration" Hava says about the meal with the neighbors. Sure, I'm sure she has a Kosher kitchen over there Hava...about as Kosher as mine. Also Christian dad just had his son open the meal with saying Grace...and constantly looks like a smarmy jerk. Prayer ends in Jesus's name. Montage of...eating. Abe has to ask who Jesus is in the poster and Paul is already trying to convert Abe, who is saying how all he knows is that Jesus was an apostate Jew who tried to mislead the Jewish people as a man who claimed to be the Messiah. And now they're all about Harry Potter, and Paul and Abe are discussing the Ten Amazing Jews book, and such.

How did your grandparents brothers die in the Holocaust when you had never heard of the Holocaust before the Holocaust book? Also this is a weak defense of "my dad says Christians did that" and "Well you can call yourself Christian but not be one. It's like being a Bronco's fan and showing up in the other team's jersey." We are 36 minutes in...out of 125 and I'm typing as fast as I can to keep up and still occasionally pausing.

Paused to put dinner in the oven, and just posted this to Facebook:
Quote:1/4 through The Unexpected Bar Mitzvah. I thank the Lord this is not a drinking game, for I would be alcohol poisoned. Jewish wife is named Hava? Drink. Angry blonde white dudes threaten Jewish kid? Drink. Filmmakers have no clue what Kosher means? Drink. End prayer of Jews and Christians eating together in Jesus's name? Drink. Christian kid trying to convert Jewish kid? Drink. Jewish kid has never even seen a picture of Jesus to know who it is in the photo? Drink. I can pronounce meshugganah better than the people playing Jews? Drink. Jesus picture is blonde? Drink.

Boy are the Jewish family bundled up to go next door. Abe is being told he'll be homeschooled and nice Christians are the most dangerous to their people with him wanting to be friends with Paul, and then he asks about being friends with Sarah. "The most dangerous people to your faith are going to be girls Abraham, you must not allow your heart to go out to a girl who is not Jewish!" says the mom. Meanwhile, Paul is praying about how to convert the Maslow family in his room. Why is the Jewish kid sleeping under a poster that says Christmas? Abe describes a dream to his two new friends of Paul's Jesus poster fighting his Harry Potter poster and winning. Now second dream is that Micah was going to sacrifice Abraham on an altar (gee, somehow kid who is studying for Bar Mitzvah has never heard of the binding and near sacrifice of Isaac?!) and then he was standing next to his dad and in his place was a lamb, but as his father raised the knife, the lamb because the blonde Jesus from Paul's poster. Sarah is reacting with a sort of healthy and pitying skepticism that makes me think the young lady playing the character realizes just how insane the lines they're being forced to say, are. Paul tells Abe that Jesus is the Lamb of God and asks if Abe knows the story of Abraham and Isaac, which Abe exclaims that of course he does, he's named after him! Yet somehow never made the connection on his own, I guess? Now we explain to Abe how Jesus is the Son of God, sacrificed for us. "I think God is trying to talk to him in his dreams." "Sounds like God needs to visit his dad if he won't let Abe talk about Jesus."

Dream number three! And now Abe is reading that book from earlier about not giving in to missionaries. This one is about the Nativity, to which Paul responds it sounds like a Nativity scene. Abe doesn't know what that is. "I was the firsborn of many brothers, it's now time for you to join my family" is what Baby Jesus told him. Paul offers chocolate cake and Natvity photos and THE CAKE IS A LIE. Meanwhile Nativity photo is in the family junk drawer in the kitchen? "God's talking to you!"

Now Abe is scared he'll get kicked out of his house if he accepts Jesus. Now he wants to read the 10 Amazing Jews book. Another reading montage? "Sing praises to the Lord, sing praises all you people, sing praises to the Lord, Adonai." Actually, here, it was actually about ten minutes of work to find this obscure thing, but this is the song in the background of the 'research' montage:

End of montage, name drop with Dr. Michael Brown, but they're super tired because it's nine. Paul tells Abe, "search with your heart, not with your logic. I don't think any of these guys have asked God directly if Jesus is His Son". Abe asks God about Jesus, and God speaks to him about leading his family to the Messiah, and rebellion is as witchcraft, and to learn to worship him in spirit and in truth.

Now Abe is telling Paul and Sarah how God spoke to him directly in an audible voice in a trance where he could hear but couldn't move. "I don't do witchcraf-wait, could his thing be about Harry Potter?" Talk of how Christians don't agree on Harry Potter, and Abe wants to read part of that Bible of his. Jewish parents are reading, and Micah is upset Abe is hanging out with Paul. GAM was right that Micah's actor doesn't do his 'accent' except randomly. Oh snap, Abe just spoke in tongues! Paul is freaking out because of his denomination saying that doesn't exist any more, and the verse Abe hears in his head is Deuteronomy 18:10...against witchcraft. "I think God wants me to remove Harry from my life", "I probably shouldn't either." They debate burning the Harry Potter stuff...the Christian and Jew are talking about burning. Freaking. Books. But decide to just throw them away instead.

Jewish dad is happy to hear Abe loves God more than Harry Potter, asks if there's something they need to discuss. "It's not about that girl is it?" "no, it's about a guy." "A GUY?! YOU'RE NOT TELLING ME YOU AND PAUL ARE GAY?!" "NO! N. O. " "Thank you God!" "I've accepted...I've accepted...Jesus Christ as my Messiah."

Micah laughs, clutches his chest, 'you shouldn't joke with your father like this." "Dad, I'm not joking, I'm serious as a heart attack." "That's what I'm going to have" rips his shirt open and screams a blessing in poorly dictioned Hebrew. "How could you do this? How could you betray your family like this?" The most I followed was roughly the transliteration, "Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu, melekh ha`olam" or "Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the universe...", not sure about the second half, after the part I quoted, but that doesn't seem like something you cry in anguish as your rend your garments? Just saying.

"There will be no mercy tonight, your son thinks Jesus is the messiah!!" Hava says he's been brainwashed. Hava looks ready to die of heartbreak, Micah is threatening to send him off to New York to be re-Jewed by a Rabbi and if that doesn't work, a deprogrammer. Micah shoved Abe into the wall calling him a traitor to "me, your people, and our God". Sarah posits, when Abe doesn't show up after school to meet she and Paul, "maybe he told his dad and he's a corpse". Dad won't let him participate in Shabbat. "You can't argue with his logic" says Hava.

Sarah and Paul get a tote bag load of books on speaking in tongues and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Sarah is saying her dad thinks speaking in tongues is of the Devil. "We have two sides, one says Harry Potter is of the Devil and speaking in tongues is of God. The other says speaking in tongues is of God and Harry Potter's not okay." Sarah again is the sole voice of anything approaching reason thus far, as she talks about all this stuff.

"Did you see those suitcases?" "Maybe he's going on a trip somewhere?" Then he gets on a train...like...this...is...so...Holocaust reference-y. Kid is meeting a guy who puts his arm around him and keeps saying God told him to give Abe stuff. Including music on an mp3 player, a New Testament, and tells him about being a Jew who worships Yeshua. Abe arrives in New York to be Jewified, and his family members there are not angry all the time people. Christian dad is coming over to talk to Micah, back in South Dakota. This is highly inappropriate as Micah's boss, and he rejoices at Abe's conversion. "The conversion of the Jews will be the Final Holocaust!" Monologue about lukewarm Christians who won't proselytize to anyone and how it would be anti-Semitic to not evangelize him. Also "I don't believe in your Devil" "Some people don't believe in the Holocaust!" "That's different!" ... "Sometimes you Jewish people act as if being Jewish is more important than finding God."

Abe is being a little dick to the Rabbi. Won't shake hands, and after being told it's a pleasure to meet him, he won't feel that way when he leaves. Audio issues again, Rabbi's great speech about taking advantage of people is hard to hear. Abe speaks in tongues in Hebrew to the Rabbi and the Rabbi says, "I'm going now, there's no reasoning with this kid. He's meshugganah, crazy. Call a deprogrammer, or a really good shrink." He prays over the deprogrammer, telling him about the accident that hurt his leg. He names and claims the miracle. Now he's healing his cousin with MS! She no longer needs a wheelchair! Abe now has actual healing powers. He's converting everyone in the room through his display of actual honest to goodness miracles.

Brother calls. "Micah it's incredible!" "The rabbi got through to him?" "Not exactly..." "Oh, the deprogrammer got through to him?" "Not exactly..." "You got through to him?" "No, he healed my baby." "But the deprogrammer..." "He healed him too! My whole family has accepted Yeshua as the messiah and we've all accepted the baptism of the Holy Spirit." "I don't have a son, or a brother!" Hava asks what's going on, "Our son is a Christian terrorist!"

"I didn't think you filtered truth for your kid, I thought you were a freethinker" Micah says to Christian dad. Hava and Micah begin...another reading scene with him demanding she find out what the baptism of the Holy Spirit is and how to fight it, meanwhile Christian dad wants to know from his son 'what's been going on behind that door of yours since Abe arrived". So many...horrible implications there. Oh Micah and Hava have been converted by their reading over the course of one night, and audio on the mom is so quiet again.

"Have you reconciled with Abe?" "And with Jesus! Here's the books Paul, thanks. Where can we get water baptised?" Now we're doing a mumbled battle royale about water baptism and baptism of the Holy Spirit is still valid around modern times. Micah quotes back Steven (Christian dad) what he said about being Jewish, except with Christian in place of Jewish. Twenty more minutes. Twenty. More. Minutes. Now Christian dad is all about fearing how his reputation will suffer if he believes in the things taught by the Assemblies of God. "We found a messianic church in Sioux Falls that we could still celebrate our traditions and worship Yeshua and Abraham can have his Bar Mitzvah."

"Bar and Bat Mitzvahs are not just for those who are Jewish, but for those who wish to celebrate it." I...no...also why do we have to hear all about these kids flirting. 11 minutes, Micah is apologizing for formerly hating congregations like this one. "I thank you for this Passover sacrifice for me, that Yeshua's blood has been sprinkled upon the lentil of my heart." Pretty sure Micah in a speech just now, pronounced Mashiach, wrong.

"This young lady was healed miraculously of Multiple Sclerosis. She was on a dead end path physically and spiritually, but now..." long monologue on how she's accepted Jesus and her dad is the new chief custodian at the college.

"Abraham listened to the voice of God, not listening to hundreds of years of Traditions and rabbinical teachings and even the voice of his own father. However, he healed my daughter and shared his testimony with us..." Oh look, creepy guy from the train station is giving the closing blessing in what actually sounds reasonably like Hebrew to my untrained ear, which is already making him better than every other person in this film who is pretending to be Jewis--WHY ARE WE ALL BLOWING CELEBRATORY SHOFFARS IN THE AUDIENCE? And the women are waving some sort of prayer flags?

Also looking up the woman who plays Hava, shows she's a pastor offscreen. It's over, it's over!

So...in the end...GAM and Cracked did not exaggerate. I rue spending $15 on this, and feel like I'm dirty for having contributed to the production of further anti-Semitic works.

Edit: Curse you credits! The brother whose daughter is magically healed and converts to Christianity before Micah does, is played by the guy who wrote the movie and the book the movie is based on. I would also like to thank my friend [exatreide] for his putting up with me going, "this isn't right? Right?" for the last three hours of me watching and taking stream of consciousness notes, while hitting pause, for this two hour film.

Edit 2: Here's the Dove Foundation's review, which talks about how it's a great film about asking God and not accepting the words of man, and also how it's not like the Holocaust montage is too graphic for children.... http://www.dove.org/review/10377-the-une...r-mitzvah/ The same montage with piled corpses and people who just dug their own graves and are about to be shot by the Nazis.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
03-03-2017, 11:14 PM
John Wick: Chapter 2

I saw it twice. Worth it both times. Big Grin

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]