Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
27-03-2017, 09:42 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
I took my sons, ages 2 and 6 to see the Power Rangers movie yesterday during matinee hours. It was significantly better than I thought it would be. Better than any of the Transformers movies at least. The 6-year-old absolutely loved it. The 2-year-old fell asleep 20 minutes in and woke up in time for the grand finale; which is exactly what I was hoping he'd do.

I was just a few years too old to appreciate the show when it first aired. I was aware of it, but I was already into Tarentino movies and stuff like that. Action-figure-sales-driven television was essentially behind me. But my son got into it, and all its many permutations on Netflix, when a friend recommended it to him a couple years ago. The movie was better than any of the TV or straight-to-video incarnations of the whole Power Rangers franchise by a mile.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2017, 06:42 PM
(27-03-2017 09:41 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 09:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The Great Wall.

Oh dear god... where do I even start. Like, I knew it was gonna be bad but... damn, that shit is wack.
Firstly, the whole idea of Hollywood doing a "Chinese" based movie where the main actor is American using a fake something Euro accent is just fucking typical Hollywood shit.
Second, the costumes were fucking terrible. The weapons were terrible. The story was extremely predictable and... terrible. The main enemy was fucking retarded. The whole Hollywood depicting Chinese culture is.. terrible.

It was just a really really fucking bad movie and just highlights my point about Hollywood being a bunch of fucking shit cunts.
The only good thing about it was that it had Matt Damon, Andy Lau and that dude from Narcos in it.

This was a Chinese made film not Hollywood.

Looked into it, it was as Oaktree said. Like a Chinese movie for Americans which is basically the same as fucking Hollywood because the American viewers are so god damn retarded you need to dumb shit down for them and have over the top retarded costumes and explosions and a main charcter who's a westerner etc..

The stupid thing, it was directed by the same guy that did House of the Flying Daggers (if you haven't see it, it's a very good movie) and written by the guy that wrote the Narcos tv series (which is like.. top 5 TV series of all time for me).

I do not understand how people can produce such great things and than do this fucking trash. Like Matt Damon and Andy Lau, they've been in some great movies so why the fuck are they in this trash??

[Image: oscar.png]
27-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Last was;
Snowden (for me) is a 5-star horror flick for those who prefer some periods of anonymity and privacy.

I don't think there is any measurable "Hollywood" trickery embellished in this story.

My fav scene is when Snowden's boss assured him in Hawaii that his wife was not messing around on him,
as if that knowledge was fuc'n normal, not only to know, but to share.Sadcryface

You have to be odd to be #1.
27-03-2017, 07:24 PM
(04-03-2017 12:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Passengers.

10/10.

100% Agreed!!
So over due for a good sci-fi and this wet the whistle for me.Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
27-03-2017, 07:53 PM
(27-03-2017 07:24 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 12:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Passengers.

10/10.

100% Agreed!!

Right! It'll tied my sci-fy desire until Alien comes out.
Passengers was just a great movie. It was different, the story was interesting and good and made you think. The characters were good, the 'world' was good. The ending was amazing. The actors were good. It was just a self contained, in a world of trilogies and franchises, very good movie.

You sit down, you know nothing at the start of the movie, you watch it, you really enjoy and you're left feeling... fulfilled afterwards. There's no "ohh what's gonna happen next!!" or other shit I've come to expect of movies these days, everyone trying to make everything into a trilogy or franchise, ruining movies as they do.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-03-2017, 08:00 PM
(27-03-2017 07:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 07:24 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  100% Agreed!!

Right! It'll tied my sci-fy desire until Alien comes out.
Passengers was just a great movie. It was different, the story was interesting and good and made you think. The characters were good, the 'world' was good. The ending was amazing. The actors were good. It was just a self contained, in a world of trilogies and franchises, very good movie.

You sit down, you know nothing at the start of the movie, you watch it, you really enjoy and you're left feeling... fulfilled afterwards. There's no "ohh what's gonna happen next!!" or other shit I've come to expect of movies these days, everyone trying to make everything into a trilogy or franchise, ruining movies as they do.

You bring up a cool point. EM.
I actually prefer to know ZERO about a movie and let the experience unfold and take me totally by surprise. The less I know the better I enjoy the story discovery.

Unfortunately that also means I am unwittingly donating quality movie time to my "X" chromosome side. Eventually figuring out a particular flick is an insufferable "chick flick". Facepalm
No refunds for that endured penance.

28-03-2017, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2017 02:02 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Saban's Power Rangers: 2/5. I was a big fan of the original show when I was young and went due to nostalgia. I appreciate the attempt to update things, having an autistic kid (who was portrayed very stereotypically x.x ), a lesbian character, and the black and yellow rangers weren't matched with their suit to the skin color. The actors themselves were actually impressive...that said...this movie felt far longer than the two hours and four minutes of its runtime. The character development was so plodding that there were points I zoned out. Also the humor was often crass and juvenile compared to the source material, for instance, "Have you morphed?" "Only in the shower!" or at the beginning of the film when we first meet Jason:
He's stealing another team's mascot. His friend remarks how he milked the mascot cow to make it less upset, but that it didn't seem to work. "How many udders does it have?" "Just one." "It's a guy..." "No it isn't..." And we do a lingering flashlight shot on a cow penis...

Mid-credits scene gives a nod towards a sequel with my favorite ranger of all time. No post-full credits scene. Oh and I have no clue what fortune or firstborn child Krispy Kreme offered Haim Saban for so much product placement. But it's so blatant, it's mentioned more times than the words Power Rangers, there's a scene where Rita Repulsa is eating Krispy Kreme, and the macguffin of the movie is under the Krispy Kreme, and dialogue is like, "We gotta stop her before getting to Krispy Kreme".

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Well, it's happened again... I watched the film version of one of my favorite idiots: Alan Partridge.

Can't really say why this character strikes such a cord with me. He's just a garden variety fuck up who does the stupidest things - very often opportunistically shitty things - and then spends an enormous amount of time trying to make right his complete fuckuppery. The shitty things he does aren't really done maliciously, more selfishly. He wants to be good but ... getting to good is more than half the battle for Alan. Somehow, he is endearing.

And laughs ... if I need a genuine laugh, I watch Alan Partridge. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
31-03-2017, 05:26 AM
Spotlight. 8/10. Good and needed movie.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
31-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Watched Field of Dreams the other night with my daughter. She's 11 so the timeline didn't make a lot of sense to her but she really enjoyed the movie even though she knows nothing about baseball.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.