Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
12-05-2017, 10:55 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(12-05-2017 10:41 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 09:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was surprised that I also liked that movie. I didn't expect to.

Interstellar (I think it was called) I hated that movie.

Yeah, I didn't like Interstellar either, though it was funny that Matt Damon played a marooned astronaut in that movie and The Martian too.

Matt Damon was in Interstellar? I thought it was just Matthew McConaughey?
Guess I'll have to break down and finally check it out. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-05-2017, 11:04 AM
(12-05-2017 10:55 AM)kim Wrote:  Matt Damon was in Interstellar? I thought it was just Matthew McConaughey?
Guess I'll have to break down and finally check it out. Dodgy

Damon played a small role in Interstellar.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
12-05-2017, 11:13 AM
I loved A:C so much that I'm complementing seeing it again. Smile The only negative I can say about it is that is a bit formulaic, but that's something you notice more in retrospect.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
12-05-2017, 11:23 AM
(12-05-2017 11:13 AM)Aractus Wrote:  I loved A:C so much that I'm complementing seeing it again. Smile The only negative I can say about it is that is a bit formulaic, but that's something you notice more in retrospect.

I am going to see that in a week or two (I hate crowded theaters, so I always wait a while before seeing a new movie). I am looking forward to it.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
12-05-2017, 06:33 PM
If by AC you mean Assassin's Creed, that movie was trash. IMO. 4/10
14-05-2017, 12:27 AM
I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy II
It was incredible. Loved every minute of it.
I laughed. I teared up. I smiled a lot.
It was a real emotional rollercoaster.

Very solid 4/5
I reserve 5/5 for Epic movies that change my life.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
14-05-2017, 02:37 AM
Ghost in the shell (2017)

An amazing film graphically, with a good paced storyline made all the easier to watch with Scarlett Johansson.

It could have been better, a bit more grittier and I feel it was let down by its 12A age rating.

It's based upon the 1995 anime of the same name, which I had not seen before watching the recent version. Critics had said the original was better, so I watched it afterwards. Whilst I rated the original, I preferred the modern remake.

8/10

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
14-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Alien Covenant.
It was great. Answered pretty much every Prometheus or Alien question and served as the perfect bridge between the two movies.
Can't wait till Alien Awakening now.
8/10
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Christian Mingle: The Movie. 2/5

It's been sitting on my shelf gathering dust for over a year, so thought I'd pop it in. This is a movie that had an actual budget, even if it was a more than one hour long commercial for a dating website. How bad was it? I didn't laugh once...and they tried to be funny...a lot. Hayden Christiansen displayed more realistic emotion as Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars Prequels.

Pre-Movie Thoughts: There's an insert with my DVD for the book "True Love Dates". Encouraging some sort of 'responsible' dating, rather than the worldy dating, I guess. First ad is for "Rust", as best as I can tell from disjointed scenes, it's a priest who lost faith for some reason and finds a Bible in the snow? Second ad, "Three Day Christmas" which looks like a family comedy about coming together as a family without technology (including phone, water, electricity). There is ZERO seconds delay between these ads. I don't even know what the third ad is for, it's just the something about pedal car racing or something? Fourth ad I missed the title card because it moved that fast, but some kid liked science and then an angel appeared to him? For goodness sake Christian Mingle, you have millions of users you charge like 30 bucks a month, you can afford to put space between previews.

Oh the menu has Special Features? What is it, an ad for Christian Mingle? *snort* Oh my...I was right. We have: Behind the Scenes, Bloopers, Christian Mingle Trailer, Christian Mingle Commercial, and an Audio Commentary (Can I just say this gets it a half star on its own? I think this is the first Christian film I've watched with an audio commentary.) I'll be honest, I was hoping for a code for a free month of Christian Mingle. This Blooper Real is...not...funny. My hopes for this movie are dying swiftly. Movie trailer for the film also contains an ad for Christian Mingle's website. Christian Mingle ad is indeed a Christian Mingle ad; "I met my beautiful wife"...guy is seriously wearing a white fedora when they show a photo of the two of them.

Anyhow, before hitting play, I must admit it's been a while, but have listened to the God Awful Movies review of this a while back. So not sure if I'll be unintentionally lifting from them. Let's eat pizza while we Christian movie.

"I was looking for Mr. Right when I found Him, with a capital H." Neo Platonist. Also dear goodness, you are not doing the song "Me Without You" by TobaMac over these opening credits that seem to be made up of photos of people who met on Christian Mingle, proposing. I know I'm pretty ugly, but, none of the people on Christian Mingle looked like these women when I once browsed it. Our main character's date is an evil secular dick who is looking at other women and not paying attention to her.

Walking by clocks after talking about how she doesn't want to be the last one umarried, a not so subtle thing about her biological clock ticking. Turns on TV and...Christian Mingle ad plays while channel surfing instead of working on emails.

"30 years old and single. It's not for a lack of trying, I've dated. Most of the time thinking 'get me out of here' before the appetizers arrived. Maybe it was me?"

You and me both beautiful actress who is playing our protagonist. We are 10 minutes and several 'jokes' in and I've yet to laugh. Second ad for Christian Mingle plays in full, after she says, "God, if you're out there, help!" This causes her to sign up for it, with a scene showing us all the questions they ask new members and her lying on them. Then what I think is supposed to be funny of her taking selfies? This guy is worse on dates than I am, and that's saying something. Also calls his dad "papa".

Oh she' awkwardly praying because she doesn't know how. And then crosses herself. I think that's supposed to be funny. "I like you, you have spunk." This is what passes for writing in this movie. Woman who I think is the film's designated "magic black lady" is telling her she's not a real Christian. And now Christian guy who says "papa" every time he talks about his dad is having to be shown how to use chopsticks and stabs a piece of sushi instead...comedy? The face he makes while swallowing the sushi looks like mine during my colonoscopy prep.

Book montage...what a Christian movie trope. Bible for Dummies, a Famous Bible Verses website, and a Bible with colored tabs in it on the way to his Bible Study. He introduces the first couple, "They met on Mingle, turned me on to it, Praise the Lord!" Not liking Kelly, the summer camp ex who is dressed very fundie. So much Jesus art and pillows and such, like a motivational poster, "Sky's the limit with Jesus".

Another learning about Christianity montage. A website and now bike repair guy has a cross necklace. Papa guy, I have no clue what his name is, is saying his mom's side is full of pastors and his dad found Jesus in a piece of driftwood. I totally zoned out in his story of how he came to Jesus. Now we're at his church, and she's the most conservatively dressed woman there; the actress pulls it off well, despite love interest saying she's dressed like his grandma. Oh look, more "she can't pray" 'humor'. Love interest's mom seems way too happy as she describes the destroyed town they're going to do a mission trip in. Wow, he did not tell her about a month long mission trip. Mom is also suspicious our heroine isn't a real Christian, and wants him to get together with Kelly.

Now pitch meeting, we blame God for male pattern baldness...but God is a loving and merciful God, and this anti-baldness pill we're shilling is God's gift to cure it. She blows the pitch, her boss tells her to shape up or ship out, so she follows the love interest to this Mexican town in a truck with a Bible verse on it to the most stereotypical mariachi music ever. And the most stereotypical Mexicans ever. And every structure is adobe. And there are Bible verses everywhere. Most of the Christian women are judging her for being in a dress instead of being dressed to work, except pregnant one who is nice to her. MBL is upset on phone that she ran off to Mexico.

Oh no, rushing to get dressed, she drops Christianity for Dummies by her bed. Mexican kids are being taught English from reading the Bible. Because you know, Mexico is full of those dirty Catholics, they've never heard of Jesus before. Little Mexican girl is Maria? Thank goodness I'm not doing a drinking game on stereotypes. Little girl asks why God would let their village be destroyed by a hurricane if He loves them. Condescending mother of love interest says James 1: 7-8 i the answer...a verse about doubt and unbelief not receiving anything from the Lord. They know she's not a "real" Christian! (Despite being baptized and professing a belief.) He dumps her, she tells him to go be with Kelly like his mom wants.

Back in New York, she throws her Bible away, then gets it back out. Bike repair guy is talking to her, and ANOTHER AD FOR CHRISTIAN MINGLE. Talks about how he loved his wife so much, they met after high school and married immediately. She stare at the ad and at the photo of he and his late wife, the seeds of faith have truly been planted in her heart. We cut to the blue anti-baldness pills and her boss, saying she's not able to have an angle on the pill because she doesn't have a slip of belief in it. She can't sell the pill, and as she says she needs a new start, she goes into a church that says "everyone welcome" and they're rocking for Jesus, man. Some sort of inner city multiracial Gospel singing mixed with a bit of a rock sound church in a repurposed space with purple curtains covering the entrance. Bible reading montage! She's hitting this Bible harder than I am sadly, and now doing a soup kitchen. Now worship at the church again; now tht she's leaving her secularism behind and immersing herself in a Christian bubble, she's so much happier.

Christian Mingle is "For Christians seeking other Christians with a true love for Christ". <.< Because she's been converted, "I WANT JESUS IN MY LIFE!" But first she wants to see Paul (hey he has a name) and he's shocked to see her, but third act drama, he's with Kelly now and everyone stares at her disapprovingly, because she was a fake Christian.

Oh wow at her talking to Paul about being his own man, he says "I'll pray for you". That's Christian dating scene for, "Go f*** yourself". Now she's crying in her bedroom as the storm rages outside for a hammer fisted mirror of her own internal turmoil at feeling she's been let down by God. "I realized, it's not enough to talk about God, I needed to know God personally. So we started a conversation." and she starts yelling at the sunlight to leave her alone. Also her apartment is unusually huge for Manhattan...and she gets a letter from Maria in Mexico, and it's read in the most stereotypical accent ever.

Mariachi music and "Next Christmas..." comic sans text. She's now a teacher in that town in Mexico, teaching English to Maria and her class. A kid come in to tell her to go to the church and...IT'S PAUL! Who is not shocked? He's dumped Kelly, she's not with him physically or in his heart and he admits he was wrong to let her go. He kisses her, and old Mexican man decorating the tree smiles. "You still like me then?" "Truth is, I never stopped." "Me either."

"You want to meet my kids?" "I like the sound of that." I sense a Quiverfull Movement in your future protagonist whose name I still don't know. End with photo of them proposing and more Christian pop music.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

8/10 only for one muther fuckin reason...

Adam Warlock

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post