Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
16-05-2017, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2017 07:20 AM by OakTree500.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(16-05-2017 06:29 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I agree with that, these are some of the dumbest people I've ever seen. In both films. I don't know how they managed to even get on the ship without knocking themselves unconscious.

I can't figure out whether the writers are trying to inject religion into this obviously scientific scenario to try and pretend it's still somehow relevant, and end up looking stupid; or if it's a total dead-pan mocking of religion, showing how its broken thinking can be a hindrance. Considering the second option still isn't entertaining in the least, and given the films' general attempts to look clever, I think it's the first. It reeks of Christian persecution complex at times.

These are just barely alien films. They may as well have been something else entirely. The aliens just show up to kill very stupid people now and again.
If you go through, there is a fair amount of christian imagery in all the alien movies. Ridley Scott has since come out to say that the reason the engineers are so pissed off wiht humanity in Prometheus, is because they sent one of there own to council Human's into being more worldly/understanding of each other, and we crucified him...yep thats right, jesus was an engineer lol.

EDIT: Here is a quote from Scott:
Quote:"If you look at it as an 'our children are misbehaving down there' scenario, there are moments where it looks like we've gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, 'Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it.' Guess what? They crucified him."

But yeah, still though, how are these people so blindingly stupid?

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2017, 07:09 AM
(14-05-2017 07:58 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(14-05-2017 05:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No he wasn't. Tongue

The "science" in interstellar just sucked. Not worth the watch unless it's free.

Yes, Matt Damon was in Interstellar.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/fullcredits/

And Yes, the science sucked. Who travels into a black hole only to reappear behind a bookcase?
You kinda missed the point there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
16-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Get out : 7/10
I found it quite enjoyable. It's certainly not the movie of the year (I agree with earmuffs, it's the kind of movies you watch and the forget about it), but at least while watching I was grasped by the story, which is exactly what I'm looking for, and I think thrillers that can grasp you all along are getting more and more rare.
18-05-2017, 05:05 AM
Alien
It's an oldy, [by todays standards at least], but still and goodey.

The original and the best IMO, of all the Alien related films. Could totally have been a stand alone movie without any sequels at all. The only things I would say are mildly "negative" are some bad camera work/edit's in places, which is more a sign of the era it was made in, but otherwise it's fantastic.

Scary/jumpy and a great horror movie. Thumbsup

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
18-05-2017, 05:16 AM
(16-05-2017 07:00 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 06:29 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I agree with that, these are some of the dumbest people I've ever seen. In both films. I don't know how they managed to even get on the ship without knocking themselves unconscious.

I can't figure out whether the writers are trying to inject religion into this obviously scientific scenario to try and pretend it's still somehow relevant, and end up looking stupid; or if it's a total dead-pan mocking of religion, showing how its broken thinking can be a hindrance. Considering the second option still isn't entertaining in the least, and given the films' general attempts to look clever, I think it's the first. It reeks of Christian persecution complex at times.

These are just barely alien films. They may as well have been something else entirely. The aliens just show up to kill very stupid people now and again.
If you go through, there is a fair amount of christian imagery in all the alien movies. Ridley Scott has since come out to say that the reason the engineers are so pissed off wiht humanity in Prometheus, is because they sent one of there own to council Human's into being more worldly/understanding of each other, and we crucified him...yep thats right, jesus was an engineer lol.

EDIT: Here is a quote from Scott:
Quote:"If you look at it as an 'our children are misbehaving down there' scenario, there are moments where it looks like we've gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, 'Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it.' Guess what? They crucified him."

But yeah, still though, how are these people so blindingly stupid?

Haha okay, that explains it. I must have missed all of it in the first two movies! Jesus was a... what? Tongue Haha.

A few lines from the films which really annoyed me (very mild spoilers):

Several times: "I choose to believe [stupid thing]". "I choose not to believe [apparent fact]". These are portrayed as reasonable statements.

When this robot finds out that he was made by man, he asks his creator, "If you made me, who made you?" Instead of replying, "No one made us. We already know we evolved. Are you asking who made our very primitive ancestors on Earth?" he just says some drivel like, "That's the most important question ever". It's misleading to the point of idiocy.

When a kid asks about some other child who is Muslim or something, their parent says, "They have a different God". No irony as to what a moronic thing to say this is.

Inclusion of the word "faith" at utterly irrelevant times.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
18-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Alien Covenant still hasn't opened here, so last night I rewatched the original Alien Vs. Predator. It's campy, but fun. The fights were well choreographed, the ancient alien angle was a bit fun, and I forgot how much I loved the scene of a Maya-esque civilization overrun by xenomorphs, with them rushing up on all sides of a temple.

Need to think of a witty signature.
19-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Alien Covenant 7.5/10. No way it could have lived up to the hype, but I am glad to have watched the Last Supper and The Crossing prologues that Fox posted prior to the movie's release. Nitpicking below spoiler tags, which contain, spoilers.

After all the speculation that David made Shaw into an alien queen...it was sad not to see that, she was just dead as an experiment.

Omg the Engineer massacre by the Black Goo scene was astounding.

It was so obvious Walter was dead and David had taken his place.

I feel like those spores infecting two of the scientists with Neomorphs, as many fans are calling them, is the filmmaker's way of acknowledging all the people who said in Prometheus, "WHY WOULD YOU TAKE OFF YOUR FUCKING HELMET? IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT THE AIR IS BREATHABLE, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IS IN IT!!!" Followed by our scientists doing the same damn thing this time, but paying for it.

David made facehuggers...but that still doesn't explain the original Engineer ship in alien having all those facehugger eggs and having been crashed long enough for the Engineer to fossilize. Even when he thinks he's finally creating something new, he's not?

Poor colonists, David is going to have so much fun on his own planet to experiment on in more controlled conditions.

Need to think of a witty signature.
19-05-2017, 05:38 PM
(15-05-2017 04:33 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  re-watched: Dark Knight Rises over the weekend

I think this movie gets a bad wrap at times, and yeah sure...it's stupid in many places...but it's fun and STILL better than BvS as well lol.

Damning with faint praise.
19-05-2017, 11:30 PM
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

The Handmaiden

Delicate, beautiful, and clever. 9/10
[+] 1 user Likes big green mouth's post
22-05-2017, 02:57 AM
Aliens

As I prep for Covenant, (which I'm not seeing until next week), me and the wife are going through the Alien movies. Last night was the directors cut of Aliens.

I always forget a lot about this movie to be honest. It's very different to the original, (I classify the original as solid horror, whilst this is more "Action"), and whilst better in some respects, mainly that of budget and production, I still think the first is the better movie. It's "good", easily the second best one in the series overall, and that stuff with the Alien queen is pretty cool as well. I also love how so far Ripley has called the ships computer, "mother" a bitch, as well as the Alien Queen Laugh out load

Onto Alien 3 next!