Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
18-08-2012, 09:12 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(18-08-2012 08:40 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 08:31 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I liked it as well. I didn't know there was a BBC series. Obiwan Kenobi would make a good spy. Thumbsup

It is a very old series (I remember it when I was young). A quick Google says that it was 1979, 5 years after the publication of the book. It will be very dated, watching it now (more so than the film).

Dated in what way? The events portrayed are to have happened in the early 70's.
The film is not 'dated', it is set in an era.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2012, 09:13 AM
(18-08-2012 08:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 08:40 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  It is a very old series (I remember it when I was young). A quick Google says that it was 1979, 5 years after the publication of the book. It will be very dated, watching it now (more so than the film).

Oh. Thanks for the warning. It would be like going back and watching old Dr. Who episodes. Quaint and all, but I'd rather watch the updated version.

No. It is not 'dated' or 'quaint'. That's just silly.

18-08-2012, 09:22 AM
(18-08-2012 09:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 08:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh. Thanks for the warning. It would be like going back and watching old Dr. Who episodes. Quaint and all, but I'd rather watch the updated version.

No. It is not 'dated' or 'quaint'. That's just silly.

Next you're going to tell me you're not 'dated' or 'quaint'. No

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
18-08-2012, 09:30 AM
(18-08-2012 09:22 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 09:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  No. It is not 'dated' or 'quaint'. That's just silly.

Next you're going to tell me you're not 'dated' or 'quaint'. No

Quaintly enough, I haven't dated in some time. Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
18-08-2012, 09:56 AM
(18-08-2012 09:12 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 08:40 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  It is a very old series (I remember it when I was young). A quick Google says that it was 1979, 5 years after the publication of the book. It will be very dated, watching it now (more so than the film).

Dated in what way? The events portrayed are to have happened in the early 70's.
The film is not 'dated', it is set in an era.

The dated part is what happens on the other side of the camera, not the time in which it is set. The story of Hamlet (as it was originally told at The Globe theatre) would be very dated compared to a modern box-office production. Even though the story is exactly the same.

DLJ has seen it recently and says that it isn't dated, so I'll bow to his superior wisdom on this. Some old TV programmes, however, can be a bit difficult to watch. I mean, Dr Who... he was a time traveller... that was set in all sorts of different time periods... but the earlier episodes can be said to be dated to a modern audience.
18-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Scooby Doo in Cyber Space : 8/10
I loved this one, while it's not the best it is pretty interesting. I can't comment on the current movies, for I haven't seen them. But this one is a classic.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
19-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Hunger Games. 3.5 out of 5 stars. I can see why it gets compared to Battle Royale. Of course a bigger budget makes it more visually appealing than BR, and they spent a lot more time explaining a more plausible reason for the games and fleshing out characters than found in Battle Royale. It's a good sci-fi flick and I enjoyed it. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-08-2012, 11:30 AM
(19-08-2012 11:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hunger Games. 3.5 out of 5 stars. I can see why it gets compared to Battle Royale. Of course a bigger budget makes it more visually appealing than BR, and they spent a lot more time explaining a more plausible reason for the games and fleshing out characters than found in Battle Royale. It's a good sci-fi flick and I enjoyed it. Thumbsup

I never watch a film if I'm planning on reading the book(s) first. I did that with Hunger Games (the trilogy), so I'm looking forward to see how the film turned out.

There was some hoo-hah on Twitter when the film was released. Some racists who were very upset about some of the characters being less-than-sparkly-white, even though their ethnicity was mentioned in the books.

The story... yeah, vaguely Battle Royale (I need to re-watch that) and, tbh, not very original an idea. The author has a preface explaining where the idea came from... but it didn't convince me. Future-set gaming-for-the-masses until the point of death isn't a new idea.

The fact that the oppressors had Roman names did nothing more than further the idea that this was a revitalisation of the concept of Ancient Rome using non-Romans as subhuman forms of entertainment. I think Spartacus made a better job of that.
20-08-2012, 04:17 AM
Not something we will see for another half a year, but can you imagine it? I can already smell the cheese in it. Just look at this poster and the punch line on it... The title, the actor, everything is CHEESE as cheesee as it can get.

Big Grin

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1549920/

P.S.

And what about Torrente, anyone seen it?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
20-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Sword of Doom - Two hours of Samurai goodness. I'd give it a 7 out 10.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume