Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
01-09-2017, 05:36 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(01-09-2017 05:27 AM)Sushisnake Wrote:  " Kingsmen: The Secret Service" 4/5. A ridiculous romp. Completely over the top. Stupendously, hilariously violent, starring Colin Firth ( Mr Darcy from " Pride and Prejudice". Mark from "Bridget Jone's Diary". The king from "The King's Speech") as a thoroughly British action hero/spy in a bespoke suit with a brolly and awesome gadgets. If the James Bond films had been like this I'd have actually enjoyed them.

Without the James Bond movies the Kingsman movies would see just silly parodies. Thanks to Ian Fleming the Kingsman movies come off as silly parodies of silly parodies. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
07-09-2017, 06:23 PM
I watched The Hitman's Bodyguard recently.
A solid 4/5. Action, comedy and some respectable emotional moments.

Would watch again with friends.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
07-09-2017, 08:24 PM
True to form, I watched an old movie from 1946 called Cluny Brown with Charles Boyer and Jennifer Jones. It's set in pre WW II. It's sort of a story about a lady plumber. Sort of. This was the last movie Earnst Lubitsch directed. The light humor of the "Lubitsch touch" is in full form in this movie.

A discussion between two characters about Hitler.

Sir Henry Carmel: He has written a book, hasn't he?
Adam Belinski: Yes.
Sir Henry Carmel: Big success?
Adam Belinski: Very big.
Sir Henry Carmel: So what more does he want? Why doesn't he lie down and keep quiet?
Adam Belinski: If you really want to know, Sir Henry, read the book.
Sir Henry Carmel: It's an outdoor book. What is it called? Oh yes, "Mein Camp".

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-09-2017, 07:42 AM
All Saints, "based on a true story", a businessman turned Episcopalian priest is sent to a church in a rural area to close it down and sell it off because it's down to like 6 elderly parishoners. However, things change as he sees how attached they are to the place, and then the refugees from Myanmar/Burma start showing up and are Anglicans (or Episcopalian in the US). Together they decide to provide work to the refugees and save the church by making them into farmers like they were before they fled their homes. Time after time they overcome, and the crops are ready for harvest when the drought they've suffered all film comes to an end with flooding, ruining most of the harvest. The son engages in the most blatant example of "jingly-keys" as the God Awful Movies call it, "Dad? If God told you to plant the crops, why did He destroy them all with the flood?" But then, the Bishop saves the parish, moved by their unity, and resigns in exchange for the nebulous council entity he's part of to make it a mission parish and assume its debts, and his last act is to re-assign our heroic Episcopalian priest to a dream assignment in a cathedral in New York City.

2.5/5. It gets higher marks than I would have for many of the refugees playing themselves. Also for the occasional humor, like when three of the kids from Myanmar almost get suspended, it's because a football player decided to be the racist prick who picked on Asian refugee kids who were a third of his weight. Where the principal then explains with no small amount of relish, "That's when he found out the Burmese national sport is kickboxing..."

Need to think of a witty signature.
08-09-2017, 10:19 AM
(07-09-2017 06:23 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I watched The Hitman's Bodyguard recently.
A solid 4/5. Action, comedy and some respectable emotional moments.

Would watch again with friends.

Great fun! Double feature with "Wick 2". Thumbsup
08-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Saw It last night. It was pretty cool.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
08-09-2017, 02:55 PM
(08-09-2017 02:19 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Saw It last night. It was pretty cool.

Don't be going all "Who's on first?" on us now.

Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
08-09-2017, 03:45 PM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-09-2017, 03:13 AM
Whilst the Mrs was out, and I had a TON of ironing to do, me and the little lady watched a few movies back-to-back:

[I'm working through the MCU movies, so this is where I'm up to haha]

Iron Man 3
Not the best MCU movie, but I think this gets a bit of a bad rap overall. I enjoy it, and there are portions that could have been explored a little bit more (Such as Tony's apparent PTSD from the battle of New York in Avengers), it's pretty cool. And, I'm gonna throw it out there, but after digesting it for a few years....I like the Mandarin "twist". PLUS, there is a further short film that shows there still is a real Mandarin out there, but I still think it was pretty clever, all things considered.

Thor: The Dark World
As it was the next in the series, this went straight on following the above. I enjoy this a fair amount, and again I'm aware it'd gotten some backlash, but it's fairly decent I think. Good story, crazy monsters, forgettable villain [but hey its marvel so not a big change there] and some interesting notes to drive the universe forward, especially in the mid credits scene.

Captain America : The Winter Soldier
WELL, what can't you say about this? For me, it's up there as "one of the best" in terms of the MCU movies. Amazing story, takes the generic superhero genre in a mildly different direction and in my opinion much better than the last one, albeit that its a completely different type of movie and that I really enjoy First Avenger, so yeah, if you're going to watch any of these.....check this one out.

When life gives you lemons, just remember you are an....
(18-09-2017 09:47 AM)vahaaao Wrote:  Irresponsible bachelor daddy
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
11-09-2017, 06:08 AM
I liked the kid in "Ironman 3". They should have used him in "Jurassic World".
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post