Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
22-08-2012, 11:02 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Saw a really great flick the other day called Wanderlust. I decided it was very good. Stars Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd and of all people Alan Alda. Extremely well written and completely funny, funny movie. And I'm a better person for having seen it. I'd give it a 9. Oh, it would have been life changing, but I didn't have any weed. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
22-08-2012, 11:16 PM
(22-08-2012 10:49 PM)Ghost0fBanquo Wrote:  The Last Airbender

I have no knowledge of the anime series, though this movie did pique my interest in it. While I've heard that this movie is an atrocity, having no knowledge of the show made it fairly enjoyable. Looked great, story was neat, and it was fun. Acting wasn't great, and some parts were... silly. But hey. I give it a 6 out of 10.

Yes, the movie might have something interesting, but only if you haven't seen the cartoon and if you do not know how much did that idiot Shalalalaman raped the story and the characters. I would sue his racist ass for making Fire Nation look like Muslims from Middle East. And fire benders do not need fire to bend...

Anyway, be sure to watch the cartoon, it is one of the best things ever made.

There is the Legend of Korra, a new Avatar cartoon that just started a few months ago.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
22-08-2012, 11:20 PM
(22-08-2012 11:16 PM)Filox Wrote:  Yes, the movie might have something interesting, but only if you haven't seen the cartoon and if you do not know how much did that idiot Shalalalaman raped the story and the characters. I would sue his racist ass for making Fire Nation look like Muslims from Middle East. And fire benders do not need fire to bend...

There is the Legend of Korra, a new Avatar cartoon that just started a few months ago.

It's on streaming on Netflix (I think), and I really wanna give it a shot. I'm not too much of an anime fan, but I watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and loved every second. I hear Avatar is just as good, so I'm sure I'll get to it.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
23-08-2012, 01:09 AM
(22-08-2012 11:20 PM)Ghost0fBanquo Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 11:16 PM)Filox Wrote:  Yes, the movie might have something interesting, but only if you haven't seen the cartoon and if you do not know how much did that idiot Shalalalaman raped the story and the characters. I would sue his racist ass for making Fire Nation look like Muslims from Middle East. And fire benders do not need fire to bend...

It's on streaming on Netflix (I think), and I really wanna give it a shot. I'm not too much of an anime fan, but I watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and loved every second. I hear Avatar is just as good, so I'm sure I'll get to it.

SAw Campaign today and was pleasantly surprised as it was better than I had expected.
A comedy dealing with politicking,crooked corporations, lust for power,greed etc it appealed to my sense of humour anyway.
Think Erxomai would enjoy it.
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
23-08-2012, 01:15 AM
(22-08-2012 11:20 PM)Ghost0fBanquo Wrote:  

Avatar: The Last Airbender is actually an American cartoon, not anime. It does use some anime visual styles and some Japanese people did work on it, but I think it does not qualify enough to fit that category. So it is much easier to watch for people who do not particularly like anime. Just watch it. You can thank me later.

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
23-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm a film nut, and watch at least a couple movies a week. I've been writing reviews for them for awhile. I use Flixster on FB, which is also tied into Rotten Tomatoes.
In an effort to broaden my horizons I've been viewing some Japanese classics. Here's the last 2:

Tokyo Story ***1/2 - For a film that started slow, and pretty much put me to sleep in the first hour, it sure brought it all back around in the second half. Which, in turn, makes the first half not as bland as it appears to be. We have a simple story of an elderly couple from a smaller outlying village going to visit their children in Tokyo. We find out what all the children(who are all grown adults with lives of their own now) do for a living, and how they handle having their parents in town. The parents are basically stand ins for all of our parents. Sure, this is a story that takes place in Japan, but it could be happening anywhere in the world. It's a human story, not a geographical one. The whole story has a tinge of melancholy to it. The parents realize that their children have gone on living without them, and have very busy lives, which makes them feel almost intrusive. Eventually, there is a tragedy that occurs, which brings them all together. I could not help but think of my own life and family, with our own tragedies, during these sequences. It really hammers home how, at the core of it, we all want the same things. A family that is there for each other when it matters, being one of those things. This really is a sweet story, and a movie that I would recommend, but you must have patience. It starts slow and stays there. But as long as you are human, there is something here for you to relate to.

The Sword of Doom **1/2 - An entertaining movie that, if thought about too much, becomes much less. The story is hardly even present, and makes little sense. We never even learn why the main character says and does what he does. He's like some sort of misunderstood anti-hero without any reason at all for us to sympathize with him. The sword fighting is cool, but very cartoony in nature. The bad ass fighters somehow manage to take down 30 men single-handedly. Each with a single stroke. Then they talk about it as if it was no big deal. I wont even go into how the women are treated here. Ugh. On the positive side the movie looks great, and has a beautiful sense of style to it. I would like to visit this world. I was shocked when the darn thing just ended in the middle of a big sword fight. We never even get a resolution to the main "conflict! It just stopped. Weird.

I also saw The Hunger Games on Saturday, but won't bother posting my review. I did like it, though. I'd give it ***1/2 stars.
26-08-2012, 04:42 AM
Just saw "Leaving Normal" and liked it.
It is funny and has sad parts, too.
Basically about two women trying to find a good live or something. A big part of the movie is a road trip.
Sounds all clichee and stuff but I haven't seen a movie like that before, and liked it, and it has a happy end so I can sleep well Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
30-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Watched the original Invasion Of The Body Snatchers last night.

It's level of paranoia is higher then the Sutherland remake (no one cares about the nicole kidman travesty) and I do like me some old timey movies, but scifi is one of those teeter tottery genres for old movies. The characters are there and the tension builds up but then we are subjected to some really hokey effects.

This one isn't too bad in that regard, some of the effects are still pretty good actually, but the literal translation of giant pea pods is a little silly on screen.

I recommend it to fans of old timey movies or fans of the Sutherland Invasion.

Also you should watch The Day The Earth Stood Still. Not the Keanu version which is hard to watch. That guy... he can't fucking act. The best thing he has ever done IMO was that movie where he was an abusive drunk... The OG Day is pretty good even with the really corny effects, and even has a message tied into it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
30-08-2012, 01:54 PM
"What's love got to do with it?" That movie about Tina Turner's live.
Saw it like 200000 times before, like it again and again. Strong woman!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
02-09-2012, 06:17 AM
I just watched CB4. A movie about rap music. And a nice one, specially while smoking a huge blunt...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106500/

-Hunter S. Thompson