Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
12-07-2018, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2018 05:52 PM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
I finally saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom yesterday. It deserves a 9-out-of-10 for a summer movie. The computer animation was gorgeous, and in my opinion the story was better than the first Jurassic World. I will be interested to see where the franchise goes next.

Of all the monster movies I have watched (including the originals and remakes of Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, The Mummy, King Kong, and so on), the Jurassic movies are by far my favorites.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2018, 02:00 AM
Get out 2017
Intense, thrilling, and very funny. One of the best "horror" movies I can remember.
13-07-2018, 11:10 PM
The Singles Ward: The Road to Eternal Marriage Has Never Been Longer 3/5

Well everyone, God Awful Movies convinced me what I needed to spend an Amazon gift card on was a Mormon rom-com, The Singles Ward. How bad could it be...right? I mean I've watched Gramps Goes to College, The Unexpected Bar Mitzvah, and all three of the God's Not Dead trilogy. And....holy cow, the menu has pop up bubbles above these Mormons sying things like, "mix 'n mingle" and "sis-ter". It also has 90s soft rock, but too soft...like the closest I can compare to is the 100 Acre Wood Music almost, but 'rock' like, if you've played Kingdom Hearts. And I'm pretty sure the 'bad' female character on this menu is the one wearing pants, because she's the only woman on the menu wearing pants and this is a Mollywood movie. Oh good grief, I clicked the Special Features and it includes the normal gag reel (Outtakes) but also things like Eternal Match Game, Truth or Dare, and JELL-O Recipes. If you let it sit for a while on Special Features to tell you how to use a remote control...

Apparently this is co-sponsored by LDSsingles.com. And starts with scrapbooking credits. Guy gets a call from his Ward and he says something about how he's adopted Nancy Reagan's philosophy, "Just say no". Flashback shows him in a BYU shirt finding beer in his fridge, and (I think as frantically as this 'actor' can manage) looking for his wife. He finds her with two empty beer cans, wearing jeans, smoking, and saying, "I don't think the church is true any more." His wife left him, a, "no longermarried, divorced, and single person".

Sin works the same way as boiling a frog supposedly does. His descent into sinfulness starts with buying...TEA!! Then R-rated movies like Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Die Hard, and Newsies. Then unblocking MTV on his cable subscription. And now some crappy standup...and now movie is surprisingly honest about "all the attempts at reactivation" where people try to friendship bomb him into coming back to church. Oh hey, I was right, pants wearing woman from the DVD Menu is the bartender; gasp, a strong woman, who asks him on a date, and a she even serves alcohol for a living!

Huh, Mormons dancing poorly...but they're still dancing. Not in my Baptist upbringing. And God has killed the engine on this man's car so that he's stuck at this Singles dance. It's like watching God's Not Dead. Beautiful woman is hitting on him; and one of his friends is dancing with a girl who just said she's a minor and he wants her to write him on his mission. Our bland protagonist is falling for Cammie, the woman who convinced him to dance...and she's the woman he told off at the start of the movie on the phone.

Oh God, God Awful Movies, what have you done to me? I just got the "she looks like Johnny Lingo's wife, pre-8 cows" joke. Uh oh, Cammi knows it was him on the phone now. Wow, the Mormon Bishop character has passive-aggressiveness down flat. Telling the fat guy to not eat more. Telling the protagonist, "it might be" a good thing, about having heard about him from his friends. "That cop show, The Fuzz is coming to Utah..." we flash over to two cops with guns drawn shouting, "Put down the casserole and step away from the minivan." I laughed. And protagonist skips night with bartender that wants him, in order to go to a church activity so he can try to see Cammi...oh he busted apart the urn filled with the dog's ashes...and the family dustbusted up their pet's ashes.

"As Brigham Young said, 'if you're 25 years old and umarried, you're a menace to society. Just something to ponder." LDS Singles...this is your movie. Why are you bringing up bad things Brigham Young said? Also feeling a tad personally attacked here at 32 and single. Also our protagonist is such a stalker, he's even at Cammi's job now adopting an elderly patient group just to be with her. Laughed at the joke about a guy getting his mission calling to Boise, Idaho; from what I understand the closer you are to Salt Lake City, the dumber you are or the less they trust you, or both. Being sent to another predominantly Mormon area like that, from the character thus far, probably means he's as incompetent as he seems.

Oh Cammi is trying to break into her own house and a busybody neighbor is calling the cops on her. The police have a very unrealistically fast response time and The Fuzz show is there for her arrest. But luckily for her, our protagonist is stalker-y and there to vouch for her to the police, who for some reason didn't think her bag of laundry was enough evidence, nor her Tide. Oh noes, people are spiking the punch at this second dance with...gasp, Mountain Dew!! Saturday's Warrior and God's Army jokes...oh good grief, I got those jokes. "I think we met in the pre-existence." as a pickup line. Hallelujah Chorus starts up as belligerent sexual tension becomes making out between protagonist and Cammi.

"I'm not supposed to like you" trope, with added bonus "I'm going on a mission". Wow, he's totally going full on Mormon cutesy stuff on this. Bungee car guy got arrested and thought at first the detectives were Mormons, "It's okay guys, my roommate's a Mormon, neighbors are Mormons, it's Utah, there are a lot of Mormons."

Uh oh, Cammi isn't happy he's doing anti-Mormon standup material. Really tame anti-Mormon standup. "Seven brides for one brother", "BYU is more boring than the Pennsylania Academy of the Amish Arts", etc. Oh look, evil bartender told his upset girlfriend, "you should see him when he gets some alcohol in him" and she ran out, disgusted and upset. That must mean it's time for Act III.

He catches up to her, "Was it the Mormon stuff?" "They were just jokes." "And that makes it okay?" And now he's being lectured on, "don't blame your bad marriage on the church" and he asks why not? That there's intense pressure to marry young because everyone wants to go to the Celestial Kingdom...again, LDS Singles. This. Is. Your. Movie. Why? Are? You? Bringing? Up? These? Points? "When a girl prays and tells a guy he's not the one, it's the ultimate rejection," for goodness sake movie, you been spying on my Ave Maria Singles account and reading my mind? Oh, he snarled something that might have been "damn"...

Oh University of Missouri that he's doing standup in...and making Mormon-Missouri War jokes in. Now he's gambling! Gasp. Meanwhile Cammi prepares for her mission. Now he's reading Rolling Stone...gasp! He's come back from his sinful comedy tour and looks at the clock guiltily, now he's hiding in the bushes from Brother Angel, and the cops are behind him wanting to see ID. Bartender in GASP spaghetti straps is flirting with him again.She takes him back to her place which is a really nice apartment that somehow is overlooking Temple Square on a bartender's salary...what the. And now she's offering him beer as they stare at the Temple, and he's gone church-y on her. He drives to an overlook, looking down on SLC's lights and places his head in his hands and prayers. He begins to sob while remembering all the moments of his life in the LDS church from a boy, to when he got his priesthood blessing, to passing out Sacrament, to running from dogs on his mission, to playing mini golf with Cammi and holding her hand for the first time. He realized for the first time in a long time, he wanted to leave his sinful life. Then his friends interrupt his monologue, one of them saying he sounds like a seminary video.

Pre-9/11, pre-TSA airport chase-the-lost-lover scene. Protagonist gets shamed at the airport while professing his love, "What are you, about 30? You should have had this moment a long time ago." Also we timeskip ahead and their married now, he's President of their local Elder's Qorum, and everyone is welcoming back Boise Missionary?! We have a Breakfast Club close in scrapbook format, showing everyone getting married and one guy retiring early after inventing something. Also the most hopeless of them gets the scrapbook close of, "Deverl found love on LDSSingles.com ". And "Jonathan and Cammie moved to California, where she became a mother and he became a screenwriter...and Bishop of a Singles Ward." She had a job as a nurse this entire movie. LDSLiving.com is an Associate Producer credit in this...and the credits are in Comic Sans!! Also wow, this thing is made in 2001 and has a post-credits scene with our protagonist telling us it's over and to go home.

Overall...I've seen way worse. I laughed at some of the jokes, and actually enjoyed myself to an extent.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2018, 03:24 AM
Re-watched Black Panther over the weekend, which was the first time I'd seen it since the cinema.

The first watch I came out and said "I enjoyed that, but is it as good as people seem to be saying it is?", as the world was exploding with delight at how good this movie is. In all honesty, I didn't really "get it" [as to why it was perceived that well] but enjoyed it never the less.

This weekend, after a re-watch, I still wouldn't say it's earth shattering like many people would have you believe, but I enjoyed it a lot more this time around. Still not as good as Winter Soldier/Civil War or Infinity War, but it's up there and tells a good story throughout.

Plus Andy Serkis needs to have more roles as himself, (as in non CGI characters), because he's bloody fantastic.

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
16-07-2018, 04:18 AM
(16-07-2018 03:24 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Re-watched Black Panther over the weekend, which was the first time I'd seen it since the cinema.

The first watch I came out and said "I enjoyed that, but is it as good as people seem to be saying it is?", as the world was exploding with delight at how good this movie is. In all honesty, I didn't really "get it" [as to why it was perceived that well] but enjoyed it never the less.

This weekend, after a re-watch, I still wouldn't say it's earth shattering like many people would have you believe, but I enjoyed it a lot more this time around. Still not as good as Winter Soldier/Civil War or Infinity War, but it's up there and tells a good story throughout.

Plus Andy Serkis needs to have more roles as himself, (as in non CGI characters), because he's bloody fantastic.
"I MADE IT RAIN!"

"I CAN SEE YOU!"

Absolute nutter. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
19-07-2018, 02:57 AM
Filth

Plot:
Based upon a book, (by the same author as the chap that wrote Trainspotting), Filth is a dark comedy/drama of a story. We follow a Policeman as he investigates a murder in Scotland. He is also trying to get a bit promotion whilst playing all the other officers against each other. He does this, all during intense periods of mental health issues for many things he has not dealt with in his life.

Thoughts:
Bloody love this movie. James McAvoy is the lead actor here, and plays it to perfection. A bit of an all star British cast as well, all playing their roles very well. McAvoy in particular really gets you in there to both love and hate his character, all while he does the despicable things he does.

Very much worth checking it out!

[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
25-07-2018, 01:35 AM
Seven

Plot:
A series of Murders occur relating to the "7 deadly sins", each more gruesome than the last. A new detective in town teams with a long-service, about to retire, officer to solve the crime.

Thoughts:
WELL, what a movie. It's been a while since I've watched it, and Mrs. Oaktree had never seen it, so it made for good watching. Whilst gruesome as hell, it's not a horror movie, but more of a thriller/noir style detective movie, which is something I really enjoy. Plus it gave us the ever famous "WATS IN THA BAAAAX?" line at the end, so it gets more points for qouteability Laugh out load

Seriously, if you've never seen it, very much check this out!

25-07-2018, 03:44 AM
(25-07-2018 01:35 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Seven

Plot:
A series of Murders occur relating to the "7 deadly sins", each more gruesome than the last. A new detective in town teams with a long-service, about to retire, officer to solve the crime.

Thoughts:
WELL, what a movie. It's been a while since I've watched it, and Mrs. Oaktree had never seen it, so it made for good watching. Whilst gruesome as hell, it's not a horror movie, but more of a thriller/noir style detective movie, which is something I really enjoy. Plus it gave us the ever famous "WATS IN THA BAAAAX?" line at the end, so it gets more points for qouteability Laugh out load

Seriously, if you've never seen it, very much check this out!
Have you seen "Snowman"?
25-07-2018, 04:58 AM
(25-07-2018 03:44 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Have you seen "Snowman"?
I have, I enjoyed it, but called who the killer was early on and was a bit disappointed with the ending.

27-07-2018, 04:03 AM
Blade Runner

Plot:
In the far flung future of 2019, robots named Replicants that look/act very human like are knocking about. Some of these are very temperamental and try to go off the grid. Those replicants have a 4 year shelf life, and are trying to find ways of extending their own existence. The Blade Runners are brought in to "retire" the replicants, before the cause any harm to human beings, as they have killed a few people in their quest for extended life.

Thoughts:
I know some people really don't like this movie, but I love it. It's a starting point for a lot of other sci-fi movies and how to present a future "world", which many movies have borrowed from since then. But not only that, whilst this is a sci-fi world, the movie itself is more detective/noir than straight up action/sci-fi shenanigans, and I love it all the more for it. A bit "slow" in places, but when it kicks off, it does so in great fashion, really building the tension. The final battle with Deckard and the "tear drops in the rain" speech is also fantastic.

I really does depend on the type of movie you enjoy, as I personally love slower movies like this, where as for example my wife said "meh" upon finishing it last night, so it's worth checking out at the very least to form your own opinion.