Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
07-12-2012, 11:53 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
[Image: 20v0x9i.gif]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
07-12-2012, 07:16 PM
(07-12-2012 11:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 12:10 AM)Filox Wrote:  Guess what I have, bitches! 2 tickets to Hobbit. Oh yeah! Wednesday 19:30, premiere in Croatia, I already have my tickets and I'm all ready to go! Go, go, go!
I wonder how badly Jackson'll fuck this one up.
It would be hard to fuck it up worse than he did LOTR.
LOTR a fuck up??

What the fuck are you smoking old man!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-12-2012, 05:48 PM
(07-12-2012 07:16 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 11:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  I wonder how badly Jackson'll fuck this one up.
It would be hard to fuck it up worse than he did LOTR.
LOTR a fuck up??

What the fuck are you smoking old man!

Have you read the books?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
10-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Yes Chas, I have read the books, there are differences in the story (like Tom Bombadilo, Aragorn and the pirates...) but overall, the movies are fucking perfection. There are virtually no movies that follow the book to the letter and most movies have much, much bigger differences when compared to the original books.

As far as I am concerned, the movies are excellent, not much has been changed, I hope that Hobbit will be made in a similar sense, maintain most of the books, as much as possible. Why not include a few other side stories, specially if they are a part of Tolkien work? Perfect.

Never expect a 100% book in the movie, the movie as a different media and as such it is subject to changes and artistic freedom, as long as it does not ruin everything too much. What is too much? That is a personal, subjective thing.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
10-12-2012, 09:25 AM
(10-12-2012 01:30 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yes Chas, I have read the books, there are differences in the story (like Tom Bombadilo, Aragorn and the pirates...) but overall, the movies are fucking perfection. There are virtually no movies that follow the book to the letter and most movies have much, much bigger differences when compared to the original books.

As far as I am concerned, the movies are excellent, not much has been changed, I hope that Hobbit will be made in a similar sense, maintain most of the books, as much as possible. Why not include a few other side stories, specially if they are a part of Tolkien work? Perfect.

Never expect a 100% book in the movie, the movie as a different media and as such it is subject to changes and artistic freedom, as long as it does not ruin everything too much. What is too much? That is a personal, subjective thing.

I don't expect 100% adherence to a book (though that is good) for two reasons.

One is simply a matter of time, fitting the story to the practical length of a movie. Jackson, however, freed himself from this constraint by making multiple movies.

Two is that a movie is a different medium for the story and offers opportunity to do things not available in a book. However, it also restricts the use of narrative prose, like long explanations of a back-story or state of mind.

But Jackson fucked up the story by emphasizing the inconsequential, ignoring the consequential, and changing narrative details for no apparent reason.

His biggest sin was the ending. Leaving out The Scouring of the Shire shows that he did not understand or appreciate the material. He missed the point.

If someone has not read the books, then the movies are good; but they are not The Lord of the Rings. The movies do not tell the story and leave the viewer ignorant of Tolkien's genius.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Someone open a thread where the lord movies can be bashed.

I just rewatched a couple of Christmas movies so Ill do those.

Elf:

Say what you want about Will Ferrel ( I think he's funny ) but this movie is actually kind of sweet and has some decently funny moments in it. If you grew up on those old school Christmas movies like Rudolph and that stop motion Santa movie then the beginning of Elf will give you a few chuckles. They even got Peter Billinglsy to play a bit part as an elf. The ending is the most cheesy part of the movie, but that's sort of the way with Christmas movies isn't it?

6/10

Scrooged:

Fucking Bill Murray. A somewhat clever retelling of Charles Dickens classic A Christmas Carol. About a television executive who has lost his way. Really it's more of a simple love story than anything else which I think is why it works. Some of the visuals are interesting, and the Ghosts are all memorable. Most people would say that the ghost of Christmas present is their favorite and I'd agree. Though I really like the appearance of the ghost of Christmas future. The ending is uber cheese. Almost unpalatable.

7/10

A Christmas Story:

I love this movie. I love it as a movie, and not just a Christmas movie. It is a classic for a very good reason. It feels like home to me which is funny because it does not in any way resemble my home. The acting is very enjoyable, the characters are delightful and the way it was filmed makes people believe it was somehow filmed when it takes place. I used to have a crush on the mom in the movie because she was so decent and real (and pretty). The ending isn't even really cheesy, it's kind of warm and fuzzy.

10/10

Miracle On 34th Street (OG):

I like old movies. There's this element of class dripping all over them. This one has that element and of course cheese. The subject of the story is silly ( santa if you somehow didn't know that), but the delivery is so warm hearted that you don't even notice. I like this movie just fine. It's not fantastic but it's very entertaining. The remake was completely unnecessary. It's not bad by any means, but it doesn't change anything but the actors and the end method.

7/10

Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer:

I hate this movie. I hate it with every fiber of my being. My wife loves it or so she claims, so I am forced to sit there and watch it every year. I do nothing, but mock it's existence the entire time. Brutal movie. Hate. Hate. Hate. Only Christmas movie we watch I hate worse is Frosty. Fuck Frosty.

0/10

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
10-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Christmas Story is the only good one in the batch.

LOTR Trilogy is way better than any of those.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
(10-12-2012 02:25 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Christmas Story is the only good one in the batch.

Careful guys, Erx has gone full retard.

[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
10-12-2012, 02:59 PM
(10-12-2012 02:53 PM)lucradis Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 02:25 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Christmas Story is the only good one in the batch.

Careful guys, Erx has gone full retard.
You're the one that likes Elf and Scrooged. Girl_nails

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-12-2012, 03:07 PM
(10-12-2012 02:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 02:53 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Careful guys, Erx has gone full retard.
You're the one that likes Elf and Scrooged. Girl_nails
yes Erx, we've been over this already. do you have your helmet and bib on? We don't need another accident like the last time you got all confused.