Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
15-12-2012, 01:29 AM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(14-12-2012 10:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 09:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So will you listen to your pal next time?

I was just looking out for your welfare

I'll never doubt you again. Weeping

You know where that comment is heading for, don't you?

Yes

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2012, 01:35 AM
I saw The Hobbit Thursday. I had read the book a long time before and didn't remember much of it, so I didn't have that as a reference in my mind. Plus I only ever saw the first LOTR film. So I came to it pretty much without expectations one way or the other.

POSITIVES
  • Ian McKellan as Gandalf. The man is a god who can do no wrong.
  • Martin Freeman as the young Bilbo Baggins. Beautiful performance.
  • The Bilbo-Gollum scene. Involving and well done.
NEGATIVES
  • The battle with the Goblins.
  • The battle with the Trolls.
  • The battle with the Orcs.
  • The battle with the God-Knows-Whats.
  • The battle with the other God-Knows-Whats.
It was all fucking battles! I HATE BATTLES! They are BORING!

The only character I managed to care anything about was Bilbo himself, and that only mildly. I couldn't care less if the nasty dwarves got their homeland back or not.

Seeing it in 48 fps was like watching a TV show in really sharp HD. I didn't have a problem with that, although some of the people I was with found it distracting and "un-cinematic."

In a word: Meh.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
16-12-2012, 09:17 PM
(15-12-2012 01:35 AM)cufflink Wrote:  I saw The Hobbit Thursday. I had read the book a long time before and didn't remember much of it, so I didn't have that as a reference in my mind. Plus I only ever saw the first LOTR film. So I came to it pretty much without expectations one way or the other.

POSITIVES
  • Ian McKellan as Gandalf. The man is a god who can do no wrong.
  • Martin Freeman as the young Bilbo Baggins. Beautiful performance.
  • The Bilbo-Gollum scene. Involving and well done.
NEGATIVES
  • The battle with the Goblins.
  • The battle with the Trolls.
  • The battle with the Orcs.
  • The battle with the God-Knows-Whats.
  • The battle with the other God-Knows-Whats.
It was all fucking battles! I HATE BATTLES! They are BORING!

The only character I managed to care anything about was Bilbo himself, and that only mildly. I couldn't care less if the nasty dwarves got their homeland back or not.

Seeing it in 48 fps was like watching a TV show in really sharp HD. I didn't have a problem with that, although some of the people I was with found it distracting and "un-cinematic."

In a word: Meh.
So where are all the Jackson fanbois?

You know we're right, don't you? This movie just sucks. Jackson is a disrespectful asshole.

The crying shame is that good movies of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings won't get made in my lifetime, if ever.

Peter Fucking Jackson. The worst thing that ever happened to Tolkien lovers.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Rate the Last Film You've Seen
I thought The Hobbit was very good. Sure it's been a while since I read it, but I didn't notice any glaring contradictions. It was, like the LOTR movies, beautifully made. I even didn't mind the singing even though, like Filox, I skimmed those parts.

I've liked Martin Freedman since I saw The Office (UK), then really grew to like his Dr. Watson character, but he was just amazing as Bilbo. From the whining about his home being invaded by dwarves, to being a Tricksy Bagginses, to jumping into the fight to save Thorin, he did a wonderful job.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-12-2012, 09:53 PM
(16-12-2012 09:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I thought The Hobbit was very good. Sure it's been a while since I read it, but I didn't notice any glaring contradictions. It was, like the LOTR movies, beautifully made. I even didn't mind the singing even though, like Filox, I skimmed those parts.

I've liked Martin Freedman since I saw The Office (UK), then really grew to like his Dr. Watson character, but he was just amazing as Bilbo. From the whining about his home being invaded by dwarves, to being a Tricksy Bagginses, to jumping into the fight to save Thorin, he did a wonderful job.
Maybe it was a well-made movie, but it was not a well-made movie of The Hobbit.

In the book, Bilbo did not whine about the dwarves nor did he jump into that fight - because that fight never happened.

The plot changes were purposeless at best; or worse, changed the characters.

Martin Freeman was a good choice for Bilbo.

18-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Chas, I think that you had a bit different perception on the books and the way you imagined it all while reading. Jackson might just had a different perception of the description than you did. Because I don't see these movies as such a disaster as you do, I think they even followed the books well enough.

Anyway, yesterday I finally saw Unbreakable, with Bruce Willis. Since it was made by that asshole Shalalaymaman, the movie was excellent: slow, but interesting. I loved the ending, it was spectacular. The fact that N. M. Shalalala made it is even more incredible.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
18-12-2012, 05:36 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2012 05:41 AM by Chas.)
(18-12-2012 01:39 AM)Filox Wrote:  Chas, I think that you had a bit different perception on the books and the way you imagined it all while reading. Jackson might just had a different perception of the description than you did. Because I don't see these movies as such a disaster as you do, I think they even followed the books well enough.

Anyway, yesterday I finally saw Unbreakable, with Bruce Willis. Since it was made by that asshole Shalalaymaman, the movie was excellent: slow, but interesting. I loved the ending, it was spectacular. The fact that N. M. Shalalala made it is even more incredible.
My perception of the plot is accurate, having read the books several times over the years.

The movies do not follow the plot well at all. You don't see the movies as a disaster because you don't know the plot.
These movies are to the books as McDonald's is to hamburgers. That is, they are crap for the ignorant.

These movies were made by people who do not respect the material. If that isn't a problem for you, fine.

The biggest tragedy is that good movies of the books won't be made any time soon.

18-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Someone whining about movies not being 100% accurate to the book.

*yawn*

I bet, Chas, you had a nice little bitch about Avatar being a fancy Pocahontas too.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
18-12-2012, 06:06 AM
(18-12-2012 05:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Someone whining about movies not being 100% accurate to the book.

*yawn*

I bet, Chas, you had a nice little bitch about Avatar being a fancy Pocahontas too.
Whining? No, reviewing. And ranting.

And I am not faulting them for not be 100% accurate, I am faulting them for being more like 100% inaccurate.

And your Avatar/Pocahontas jibe completely misses the point.
If Avatar was made but titled "Pocahontas", that would be closer to the mark.

West Side Story is a great musical.
Is it a re-telling of Romeo & Juliet? More or less, but it isn't claimed to be Romeo & Juliet.

18-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Avatar is not Pocahontas, Avatar is Dances With Wolves rip off...

Errrr, I did read the books, LOTR 2 times, Hobbit 2-3 times, but it was pretty long time ago, so the details have eluded me. What I do know is that the majority of the plot was in the movies. Sure, a lot of stuff are taken out and some new have been put in, but if we are mentioning percentages, neither is it 100% accurate, nor is it 100% inaccurate. Sure Aragorn did not pick up all those undead, there was no Tom Bombadilo, some battles didn't took place, but there was a great siege of Helmsdeep, there was Frodo going to Mordor with his friend and one not-so-much-friend, Golum did throw their lembas bread... I think that you are exaggerating a bit about how much awful were the movies, but then again, that is just my opinion, it does not have to be true. Not by 100% at least.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post