Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
13-06-2018, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2018 07:37 PM by M. Linoge.)
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
The titan - 4/10

I didn't have high expectations for this one but still find myself disappointed.
They needlessly dramatised the ending, added violence without explanation and made supposedly smart people behave erratically, IMO.

It seems like they wanted to make a conspiracy plot but everything is rather obvious from the start, making the lead actress seem dim-witted when she's probably not intended to be perceived that way.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2018, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2018 03:40 PM by Kaneda.)
(11-01-2018 01:29 PM)kim Wrote:  So, I saw Mother.

Yep. I did. :dodgy:

It was ok. Well shot - exceptional production values.
I liked it - it contained a certain amount of discomfort I enjoy seeing in my artsy-fartsy films. It is most definitely a thinker.

I'm not going to rate it.
It really isn't for everyone ... even though it may very well contain something for everyone. :consider:

Good or bad aren't always relavant. I don't like to shove personal stuff like this down people's throats. If it resonates, it resonates - if not, it's gonna be crap.

I actually only sought this film out because of Kevin Pollak's enticingly, fantastic review of it: "It's like watching a pony die.".
Couldn't pass that up! :thumbsup:

Loss is a chain-reaction nightmare to the cliché point of absurdity.
There - about as glowing a review as I can muster. :dodgy:

Or maybe ...
Just get me through this shitty movie. This way, I can let it bother me for several days. It's almost like watching other people masturbate, albeit ... most un-sexily ... then, trying to figure out if I'm even supposed to relate at all to their weird human shenanigans.
Life happens ... now please, just fuck off. :shy:

Were you able to call out all the Biblical allusions being made throughout the film the first time you saw it? Really makes a difference when you know just what the film’s about, right out the gate.

I showed this movie to my roommate this past week. At first he had a hard time making sense of all the strange behaviour on display, but as soon as he caught on that this was an allegory for the Fall of Man, he was having a field day calling out all the religious symbolism left and right, and could just about predict how it was going to end.

Roomie himself is a bit of a disaffected former Christian and really drawn to gaudy art films like these, so I thought when we rolled the tape that this might be something he’d be into. While we were watching he seemed really engaged in the film and could even pick up on a lot of stuff I didn’t get the first time around, but when the credits finally rolled and I asked him if he had any final thoughts, the highest praise he could muster was that “JLaw’s boobs were nice,” and the discussion ended there.

So it’s really a toss-up finding out who this film’s for. I almost feel like kind of an outcast for speaking so kindly of the film, but:

8/10 - It’s superbly shot and well-lit with committed performances all around, and a narrative accomplishes what it sets out to do. Can be a little ham-handed and on the nose at times, but you got to respect the director for going the distance and not compromising on the story he wants to tell.
14-06-2018, 02:58 PM
(11-06-2018 01:51 AM)f stop Wrote:  Predestination
The ultimate time travel movie.

The only one I can actually stomach (more than stomach, I really liked it). Heinlein wrote it, as far I as remember, to illustrate the inherent paradoxicality of time travel (to the past).

The acting was really good.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2018, 03:38 PM
(14-06-2018 02:58 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(11-06-2018 01:51 AM)f stop Wrote:  Predestination
The ultimate time travel movie.

The only one I can actually stomach (more than stomach, I really liked it). Heinlein wrote it, as far I as remember, to illustrate the inherent paradoxicality of time travel (to the past).

The acting was really good.
You should read his bookend work, "By His Bootstraps".
15-06-2018, 03:21 AM
FINALLY, the X-men-a-thon comes to and end with:

LOGAN

Plot:
Set some time later in the alternate future created by the events of Days of Future Past, we find Logan no longer super-heroing about, but being some sort of Uber/Limo driver for hire. He looks old, beat up and is having a hard time with his healing abilities. We find he's looking after a 90+ year old Professor X somewhere out in seclusion, whilst the rest of the X-men are mysteriously vacant. A young girl falls into Logan's life, who is surprisingly not all that different from Logan himself, but with her comes trouble, and Logan reluctantly steps in to lend a hand.

Thoughts:
This is a great movie. And not just a superhero film, just a real good movie. My only retraction from it, is that it can be a bit "too sweary" (like it's undeeded at times) but other than that, I really do love this move. The chemisty between Hugh Jackman/Patrick Stewart and Jackman/Daphne Keen is just awesome, and the supporting cast with Stephen Merchant is just great as well. A side note is we do find out what happened to the other X-Men at some points (on the radio in the background and later from Professor X himself) and it's just heart breaking.

Logan has great action beats, good story telling and overall it packs a real "heart punch" of feels, especially if you've watched the other movies or are invested in, what appears to be, the absolute shit-show of a life that Logan has had.

(In the movie universe he's lived since 1845, potentially killed his 'real father', fought through all the major wars in world history, fought to the apparent death with his brother, been experimented on to have metal grafted to his bones, lost several women that he loved and even had to kill one of them himself, been caught in a nuclear explosion, had his bone marrow drilled out by a giant silver samurai robot-man, had his claws cut off by said same robot-man, cut out his own heart to remove a tiny robot, traveled back in time to re-write history to which he is the only one that can remember the previous time line as well.......It's a real harsh life this guys had).

Anyway, now I'm done for now. Might do Deadpool at some point, but I can't really be bothered with xmen anymore Laugh out load

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
15-06-2018, 11:51 AM
Solo.

Depends on what you want out of it. As a Star Wars film, it's meh. As a generic action popcorn flick about a heist it's decent.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
15-06-2018, 12:18 PM
(14-06-2018 02:37 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(11-01-2018 01:29 PM)kim Wrote:  So, I saw Mother.

Yep. I did. Dodgy

It was ok. Well shot - exceptional production values.
I liked it - it contained a certain amount of discomfort I enjoy seeing in my artsy-fartsy films. It is most definitely a thinker.

I'm not going to rate it.
It really isn't for everyone ... even though it may very well contain something for everyone. Consider

Good or bad aren't always relavant. I don't like to shove personal stuff like this down people's throats. If it resonates, it resonates - if not, it's gonna be crap.

I actually only sought this film out because of Kevin Pollak's enticingly, fantastic review of it: "It's like watching a pony die.".
Couldn't pass that up! Thumbsup

Loss is a chain-reaction nightmare to the cliché point of absurdity.
There - about as glowing a review as I can muster. Dodgy

Or maybe ...
Just get me through this shitty movie. This way, I can let it bother me for several days. It's almost like watching other people masturbate, albeit ... most un-sexily ... then, trying to figure out if I'm even supposed to relate at all to their weird human shenanigans.
Life happens ... now please, just fuck off. Shy

Were you able to call out all the Biblical allusions being made throughout the film the first time you saw it? Really makes a difference when you know just what the film’s about, right out the gate.

I showed this movie to my roommate this past week. At first he had a hard time making sense of all the strange behaviour on display, but as soon as he caught on that this was an allegory for the Fall of Man, he was having a field day calling out all the religious symbolism left and right, and could just about predict how it was going to end.

Roomie himself is a bit of a disaffected former Christian and really drawn to gaudy art films like these, so I thought when we rolled the tape that this might be something he’d be into. While we were watching he seemed really engaged in the film and could even pick up on a lot of stuff I didn’t get the first time around, but when the credits finally rolled and I asked him if he had any final thoughts, the highest praise he could muster was that “JLaw’s boobs were nice,” and the discussion ended there.

So it’s really a toss-up finding out who this film’s for. I almost feel like kind of an outcast for speaking so kindly of the film, but:

8/10 - It’s superbly shot and well-lit with committed performances all around, and a narrative accomplishes what it sets out to do. Can be a little ham-handed and on the nose at times, but you got to respect the director for going the distance and not compromising on the story he wants to tell.

I totally forgot about that movie....it's on my list for while now...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-06-2018, 07:04 PM
Downsizing.
It was a decent little movie.

[Image: star.gif][Image: star.gif][Image: star.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Thena323's post
15-06-2018, 08:42 PM
(15-06-2018 11:51 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Solo.

Depends on what you want out of it. As a Star Wars film, it's meh. As a generic action popcorn flick about a heist it's decent.

Yeah, we saw it. Alright waste of time.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Rate the Last Film You've Seen
Hereditary

Freakin 0

Two and a half hours of crap.

I felt like I got mugged upon leaving the theater.

Not even a good head scratcher.

Leaves one feeling like the whole movie was a stab at those who may be more spiritually oriented, and finally delves into antichristianity/ paganism, while also attempting to pay some minor credence to quantum mechanics or multiverses.....the whole thing was a disconjoined mess of a stretch with no real substance or theme or moral.

Literally watching a cnote burn up would ha e been more entertaining and less time consuming; holding said government note while it burned would be less painful than sitting through that exceedingly poor excuse for a movie. Could have had potential if managed to have a decent plot.....but it throws that out the window in the opening scene.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk