Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
06-01-2013, 01:29 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(06-01-2013 01:25 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  There are no Orcs in the book, Just the goblins, Just as there are no wargs in the book, only wolves. I do recommend everyone read the book at least once.
Yeah, but orcs and goblins are the same. He started using the word orcs in his later works Smartass

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
06-01-2013, 01:33 PM
(06-01-2013 01:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-01-2013 01:25 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  There are no Orcs in the book, Just the goblins, Just as there are no wargs in the book, only wolves. I do recommend everyone read the book at least once.
Yeah, but orcs and goblins are the same. He started using the word orcs in his later works Smartass
Azog in the books is actually called a goblin I believe.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
06-01-2013, 01:34 PM
(06-01-2013 01:33 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(06-01-2013 01:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, but orcs and goblins are the same. He started using the word orcs in his later works Smartass
Azog in the books is actually called a goblin I believe.
But I must say I'm pleased that there are actual tolkien fans here. I feel even more at home. Smile

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
06-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Well, he used the words (mostly) interchangeably, so they are basically the same creatures.

But yeah, I even wrote a paper on the (in)constant nature in the works of Shelley and Tolkien, while at uni. My MA thesis was called Beauty and the Beast or the Mythology of J.R.R.Tolkien as One Man’s Rebellion Against the Decay of Beauty in the 20th Century, but that was mostly 'cause they forced me to do a literary spin on my idea to write about just the idea of beauty. Those Swedes... No

06-01-2013, 01:41 PM
(06-01-2013 01:41 PM)Vera Wrote:  Well, he used the words (mostly) interchangeably, so they are basically the same creatures.

But yeah, I even wrote a paper on the (in)constant nature in the works of Shelley and Tolkien, while at uni. My MA thesis was called Beauty and the Beast or the Mythology of J.R.R.Tolkien as One Man’s Rebellion Against the Decay of Beauty in the 20th Century, but that was mostly 'cause they forced me to do a literary spin on my idea to write about just the idea of beauty. Those Swedes... No
Damn those swedes. No

06-01-2013, 01:51 PM
(06-01-2013 01:41 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Damn those swedes.
Damn straight "damn those swedes". I was still religious when I wrote my thesis and writing about Tolkien resulted in the occasional mild religious undertone... enough to make me kinda ashamed of my paper now Confused

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
06-01-2013, 01:54 PM
(06-01-2013 01:51 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-01-2013 01:41 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Damn those swedes.
Damn straight "damn those swedes". I was still religious when I wrote my thesis and writing about Tolkien resulted in the occasional mild religious undertone... enough to make me kinda ashamed of my paper now Confused

“I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence" J.R.R. Tolkien

Dont be ashamed. We all did things we regret when we dabbled in mythologies *pats back*

[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
06-01-2013, 02:02 PM
(06-01-2013 01:54 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  “I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence" J.R.R. Tolkien
Oh, how many times have I quoted this to folks trying to sell me that tired old crap about how The Lord of the Rings is a WW2 allegory Dodgy

Quote:Dont be ashamed. We all did things we regret when we dabbled in mythologies *pats back*
Ah, but I subsist on shame and guilt...

But I like how you put it Yes

06-01-2013, 02:06 PM
(06-01-2013 02:02 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-01-2013 01:54 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  “I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence" J.R.R. Tolkien
Oh, how many times have I quoted this to folks trying to sell me that tired old crap about how The Lord of the Rings is a WW2 allegory Dodgy

Quote:Dont be ashamed. We all did things we regret when we dabbled in mythologies *pats back*
Ah, but I subsist on shame and guilt...

But I like how you put it Yes
Or how Gandalf is Jesus....argh!

06-01-2013, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 02:20 PM by Vera.)
(06-01-2013 02:06 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Or how Gandalf is Jesus....argh!
Well, this particular crock I hadn't heard. Wouldn't have gone for it even back then... my religious hints were about the lack of meaning in a faithless world. Though mine is possibly worse Weeping