Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(04-01-2013 05:21 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yes, it is Samurai X, Ruroni Kenshin, Batosai the Manslayer, Cross-scared Assassin...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurouni_Kenshin

There is a huge anime series about him, but there was also a 4 part anime about his past, that shit was dark and epic. The movie is about the big anime series, not the OVA (4 part+2 part series).

I see there was a movie about 10 years ago, but I haven't seen that. Do you have any links to it, maybe?

My friend gave me a link to watch the new live action version. I, unfortunately, don't know of a good place to find the old animation. I'm assuming their might be a torrent of it floating around somewhere.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Lockout - 7/10

Has Guy Pearce (Oz actor) in it and he's pretty good. Not a bad story.

Set in the near future where prisons are structures orbiting the earth and the prisoners (normally kept in stasis) take over whilst the presidents daughter is there overseeing some humanitarian aspect of the sleep process.
A lot of dry humour and some nasty characters. Not bad, really.

Expendables 2 - 6/10

Wow, so many old action hero actors here.

Some good lines and some not too bad action scenes. Amusing.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
08-01-2013, 05:18 AM
(02-01-2013 04:10 AM)kim Wrote:  Les Misérables. I read the book many years ago. Saw the musical staged a couple of times in the 90s. It was kind of a cross between the book and the musical - a hybrid, I suppose. I don't know if that's good or bad -it's just different. I loved the book and equally loved musical but they are different animals.

It had a lot more to do with the book than the stage shows I've seen - but not all the book is there. I'm used to staged musicals but the movie just seemed to add a greater degree of realism to this one. I took a friend who was unfamiliar with either and he really got into it - he needed a couple of tissues.

The cinematography was stunning and it's possible the close-up was a bit overused. I do know my friend was astounded by the opening scenes of the ship being pulled to berth and the overall, utter filth and human degradation. I had no problem with the singing - it was as authentic as any musical can be. Several scenes were very moving and some very funny.

Of course, it is completely preposterous to just burst into song with every thought that pops into mind but just knowing this, gives ground to the story. It is an epic story. I'm not certain it was quite pulled off - much of it is there but it felt somewhat fragmented to me. But if you want a good three hour experience, take a friend and talk about it after; that's what theater is about.

Personally, I give it a 7.5 of 10.
^^^ This. But I rate it higher.

I was with a Vietnamese girl whose first words on exit were "that was boring". She has, of course not read the book or seen the show or heard the songs or performed the songs.

I have.

And I cried like a baby from the opening bars.

Message for Chas:

Do NOT watch this movie!

They did not stick every line, scene and nuance of the book. Which means that you will not be able to enjoy it.

Wink

08-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Whoever came up with the idea of musicals should've been strangled in their crib. Juts sayin' Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
08-01-2013, 07:14 AM
(08-01-2013 05:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 04:10 AM)kim Wrote:  Les Misérables. I read the book many years ago. Saw the musical staged a couple of times in the 90s. It was kind of a cross between the book and the musical - a hybrid, I suppose. I don't know if that's good or bad -it's just different. I loved the book and equally loved musical but they are different animals.

It had a lot more to do with the book than the stage shows I've seen - but not all the book is there. I'm used to staged musicals but the movie just seemed to add a greater degree of realism to this one. I took a friend who was unfamiliar with either and he really got into it - he needed a couple of tissues.

The cinematography was stunning and it's possible the close-up was a bit overused. I do know my friend was astounded by the opening scenes of the ship being pulled to berth and the overall, utter filth and human degradation. I had no problem with the singing - it was as authentic as any musical can be. Several scenes were very moving and some very funny.

Of course, it is completely preposterous to just burst into song with every thought that pops into mind but just knowing this, gives ground to the story. It is an epic story. I'm not certain it was quite pulled off - much of it is there but it felt somewhat fragmented to me. But if you want a good three hour experience, take a friend and talk about it after; that's what theater is about.

Personally, I give it a 7.5 of 10.
^^^ This. But I rate it higher.

I was with a Vietnamese girl whose first words on exit were "that was boring". She has, of course not read the book or seen the show or heard the songs or performed the songs.

I have.

And I cried like a baby from the opening bars.

Message for Chas:

Do NOT watch this movie!

They did not stick every line, scene and nuance of the book. Which means that you will not be able to enjoy it.

Wink

Surprisingly, even you can't seem to tell the difference between adaptation and butchery. Sad. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
08-01-2013, 07:16 AM
(08-01-2013 05:30 AM)Vera Wrote:  Whoever came up with the idea of musicals should've been strangled in their crib. Juts sayin' Drinking Beverage

That would have been those Balkan people, the Greeks. Drinking Beverage

08-01-2013, 07:37 AM
(08-01-2013 07:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  That would have been those Balkan people, the Greeks. Drinking Beverage
First off, they're a very special breed, the Greeks.

Secondly, everything was done in verse and with music back then. Folks' memory wasn't what it is today so it helped them remember stuff. I'm talking about this modern-day abomination which should be abolished and right speedily. If I want to watch people burst into song for no good reason, I'll go to the opera. The music is incomparably better there anyway. Dodgy

08-01-2013, 08:19 AM
(08-01-2013 07:37 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 07:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  That would have been those Balkan people, the Greeks. Drinking Beverage
First off, they're a very special breed, the Greeks.

Secondly, everything was done in verse and with music back then. Folks' memory wasn't what it is today so it helped them remember stuff. I'm talking about this modern-day abomination which should be abolished and right speedily. If I want to watch people burst into song for no good reason, I'll go to the opera. The music is incomparably better there anyway. Dodgy

You might enjoy "Enchanted". It is a musical send-up of musicals. It's witty and clever in several ways.

08-01-2013, 08:31 AM
(08-01-2013 08:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  You might enjoy "Enchanted". It is a musical send-up of musicals. It's witty and clever in several ways.
That was a joke, right? Disney? Princesses? Disney? Modern world? Disney? Family movie? Dempsey? Romance? Musical? Oh, and did I say, bloody Disney?!

08-01-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I do enjoy musicals.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jesus Camp (2006 Film) OFTwify 10 196 12-05-2014 07:51 PM
Last Post: OFTwify
  A Matter of Faith, a new Christian Persecution film by Answers in Genesis DemonicLemon 44 741 05-05-2014 09:56 PM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
  Who's the hottest person in film today? Hughsie 60 3,809 16-04-2014 10:36 AM
Last Post: sporehux
  Richard Dawkins new film: THE UNBELIEVERS Deltabravo 0 172 15-03-2014 10:28 AM
Last Post: Deltabravo
  Drone - a yt short film Grassy Knoll 1 281 05-08-2013 10:05 AM
Last Post: ELK12695
  'Into The Wild' Film Discussion TheLogicalAthiest 9 763 06-03-2013 08:44 AM
Last Post: Likos02
  What is your favourite film of all time? Stefania 57 4,953 01-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: thelittleprince