Rate the Last Film You've Seen

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
08-01-2013, 09:32 PM
RE: Rate the Last Film You've Seen
(08-01-2013 09:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 09:23 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Chas, what did you think of the LOTR films just out of curiosity?
In a word, disappointing.

You could look further up this thread for my posts on this, but I think Peter Jackson fucked them up badly.

The Hobbit was worse, though.

My great disappointment is that no one will make the movies that could have been made. Not in my lifetime.
Makes me sad to hear that. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 10:03 PM
(08-01-2013 09:32 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 09:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  In a word, disappointing.

You could look further up this thread for my posts on this, but I think Peter Jackson fucked them up badly.

The Hobbit was worse, though.

My great disappointment is that no one will make the movies that could have been made. Not in my lifetime.
Makes me sad to hear that. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them.
I'm sorry that Peter Fucking Jackson made them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Django Unchained - 9/10

I heard it was a good movie - even an "important" movie - so I went to see it. As can be expected from a Tarantino film, it was quite violent, and filled to the brim with black humor (no pun intended). It does quite well at tackling our country's history of slavery, and does so in a brutally explicit way (the word "nigger" is used frequently, two slaves are forced to fight one another to the death, a slave woman is kept in a "hot-box", a runaway slave is forcibly mauled to death by dogs, etc.) And, in true Tarantino fashion, the revenge is equally brutal. Jamie Fox did a very good job at being a timid slave, and as the story progresses, he transforms into a gun-toting badass. Christoph Waltz (the "Jew-hunter" from Inglourious Basterds) is a great actor and I got a kick out of him in Basterds, but it seemed odd to slap a beard on him, dress him in cowboy garb and drop him into the middle of a western - all the while retaining his German accent and his hilariously up-beat demeanor. Despite the oddness, he was no less enjoyable. Leonardo DiCaprio was excellent as a wealthy but devilish slave-owner, who's constant smile and sophistocation make you despise him all the more; even if he weren't a sadistic bastard. (Fun fact: Leo injuring his hand on the table wasn't in the script. He cut it by accident, made himself bleed, and continued with the scene. Like a fucking boss. Thumbsup ) The music used is also quite enjoyable and fits the atmosphere very well. Even a rap song is used at one point, and yet it goes along with the scene so beautifully.

Overall, it was an enjoyable film, despite the constant, (absurdly) graphic and at times unsettling content. The only thing I didn't like about it was the same thing I didn't like about Inglourious Basterds. It depicts the most depraved savagery of the Human species as a bad thing, then seeks to remedy that savagery by making the good-guys just as depraved and savage in return. Now, I don't care about savagery if it fits a story, but it just irritates me that people in the theater around me can be shocked and horrified by such animalistic brutality on the part of the "bad guys", then literally cheer and scream "FUCK YES!" when the "good guy" turns around and does the exact same thing. But, that's less to do with the film and more to do with my personal contempt of human beings. But I digress.

Lastly, I couldn't help but feel that the only reason it's lauded as an "important" film is simply because it does well to depict what we, as americans, would probably rather forget: the true nature of our history with slavery. It's a revenge film done Tarantino style, yes, but it beautifully (if that's the right word) depicts the reality of what slaves went through. Personally, I'm all for a film depicting socially significant events and circumstances, but it just feels odd to praise this film as social commentary, simply due to the way in which it's presented. Although, I will say that if you're a black guy, you'll leave this film with a smile. If you're a white guy, you'll leave with a slight feeling of shame. lol

(I should mention once more that it was the most violent film I've ever seen. So much so that it enters the realm of the absurd. Meaning, each time a person is shot, a literal bucket of blood is thrown into the air. My sister and I couldn't help but laugh. But, considering the writing of the film, I'm pretty sure that was the point. Despite its brutality, it is a really funny movie.)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
10-01-2013, 10:56 PM
(09-01-2013 09:34 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Django Unchained - 9/10

I heard it was a good movie - even an "important" movie - so I went to see it. As can be expected from a Tarantino film, it was quite violent, and filled to the brim with black humor (no pun intended). It does quite well at tackling our country's history of slavery, and does so in a brutally explicit way (the word "nigger" is used frequently, two slaves are forced to fight one another to the death, a slave woman is kept in a "hot-box", a runaway slave is forcibly mauled to death by dogs, etc.) And, in true Tarantino fashion, the revenge is equally brutal. Jamie Fox did a very good job at being a timid slave, and as the story progresses, he transforms into a gun-toting badass. Christoph Waltz (the "Jew-hunter" from Inglourious Basterds) is a great actor and I got a kick out of him in Basterds, but it seemed odd to slap a beard on him, dress him in cowboy garb and drop him into the middle of a western - all the while retaining his German accent and his hilariously up-beat demeanor. Despite the oddness, he was no less enjoyable. Leonardo DiCaprio was excellent as a wealthy but devilish slave-owner, who's constant smile and sophistocation make you despise him all the more; even if he weren't a sadistic bastard. (Fun fact: Leo injuring his hand on the table wasn't in the script. He cut it by accident, made himself bleed, and continued with the scene. Like a fucking boss. Thumbsup ) The music used is also quite enjoyable and fits the atmosphere very well. Even a rap song is used at one point, and yet it goes along with the scene so beautifully.

[...]

I just watched it online. I agree with many of the points you make. I think Waltz's character injected much needed positivity in the many scenes he appears in.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
10-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Alpha Dogs.

Worth a watch, good movie.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
11-01-2013, 12:45 AM
(09-01-2013 09:34 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Django Unchained - 9/10

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Looks good.

Angry

I have to wait until the end of March before it's released here.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-01-2013, 08:22 AM
(11-01-2013 12:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up on this one. Looks good.

Angry

I have to wait until the end of March before it's released here.

This is where I watched it. Just click the player above the comments:

http://www.movie2k.to/Django-Unchained-w...79131.html
11-01-2013, 08:23 AM
(10-01-2013 11:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Alpha Dogs.

Olivia Wilde's tits.

'Nuff said. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
11-01-2013, 08:44 AM
(11-01-2013 08:22 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  This is where I watched it. Just click the player above the comments:

http://www.movie2k.to/Django-Unchained-w...79131.html
Wow what a great copy. I use 1channel.ch and the copies there are not very good, thanks. Gonna watch it now Thumbsup

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
11-01-2013, 09:30 AM
(11-01-2013 08:23 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 11:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Alpha Dogs.

Olivia Wilde's tits.

'Nuff said. Drinking Beverage
ehh, as far as tits go they were pretty average.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]