Rate the last anime series you watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 06:21 PM by Hafnof.)
Rate the last anime series you watched
Celestial Method
A group of girls wish a flying saucer into existence, then disperse for 7 years. The story is about them coming back together and trying to forgive the trivial sins of their past. When they were like, 5 or something. Nothing of significance happens in the series. 2/10
http://www.chia-anime.com/sora-no-method

The coffin princess: Avenging battle
The second series of Hitsugi no Chaika is almost complete and is pretty decent. I rank the coffin princess among the mid-tier animes. It's not a genre breaker but is executed pretty well. A young girl carrying a coffin enlists the help of saboteurs to reclaim parts of her murdered father's body for a fit and proper burial. It has been five years since the war ended between her father's empire and the six other major nations. Yet in this world of magic not everything is what it seems to be, including Chaika herself. After a hundred years of battle there are those that wish to rekindle their glory as warriors. Will Chaika be an instrument of war or peace? 7/10
http://www.chia-anime.com/hitsugi-no-chaika
http://www.chia-anime.com/hitsugi-no-cha...ing-battle

A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepard
This is a bit of a weird clash between harem and transcendence themes. It's OK but it feels like it never quite knows what it wants to be. I guess that's the point as the main character decides whether to be in or out of his world of books, and in or out of the celestial library that allows its patrons to control the fate of humanity. It's not quite finished yet, but I think I can give it a rating. 4/10
http://www.chia-anime.com/daitoshokan-no-hitsujikai

(see how accessible I'm making this... I even looked up the English titlesSmile)

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 06:48 PM
RE: Rate the last anime series you watched
(08-12-2014 06:08 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Celestial Method
A group of girls wish a flying saucer into existence, then disperse for 7 years. The story is about them coming back together and trying to forgive the trivial sins of their past. When they were like, 5 or something. Nothing of significance happens in the series. 2/10
http://www.chia-anime.com/sora-no-method

The coffin princess: Avenging battle
The second series of Hitsugi no Chaika is almost complete and is pretty decent. I rank the coffin princess among the mid-tier animes. It's not a genre breaker but is executed pretty well. A young girl carrying a coffin enlists the help of saboteurs to reclaim parts of her murdered father's body for a fit and proper burial. It has been five years since the war ended between her father's empire and the six other major nations. Yet in this world of magic not everything is what it seems to be, including Chaika herself. 7/10
http://www.chia-anime.com/hitsugi-no-chaika
http://www.chia-anime.com/hitsugi-no-cha...ing-battle

... I suppose I had to have completed the series, not just seen a few episodes...

The last anime I watch (to completion) were:

Toradora

Toradora a romance-comedy which focuses on two students thrown together by accident and their mutual desire for the affection of the other's friend. After an altercation, Ryūji Takasu, a frightening and misunderstood Nice Guy pledges to help the notoriously violent Taiga Aisaka (The Palmtop Tiger) in her quest to admit her love to a fellow student, while Taiga claims to intend to help Ryūji in return.

I'd give the series a solid 7/10. Character development is I feel, quite solid and appropriately steady, none of it felt forced or ham-handed, though it might be jarring in the first major arc.
Though my rating might not be reliable as I admittedly have a lot of feels invested in the show.

&

Attack on Titan

Humanity is resting idly at the brink of extinction, protected by the great Walls from the neigh-unstoppable Titans, human-like giants which consume humans and forced them to the brink over a hundred years ago. After a time of prosperity and security behind the walls, a titan of unprecedented size smashes through the outer-most wall, forcing humanity to retreat further and closer to the edge.

I'd give Attack on Titan a tentative 8/10. It is brilliantly animated, character development is fairly well done in those who do develop, but jarring in others. I also love how the show does a lot to deconstruct a lot of old tropes like child soldiers, glory in battle and death and the psychology of fighting a clearly overwhelming foe.
I had to knock it down from 9 for fact that it doesn't have an ending. I'm guessing we wont have an actual ending until perhaps at least two more seasons, though it depends on whether the producers will keep along with the manga and how long that will run.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
12-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Speed Grapher

9/10
A retired war photographer, Tatsumi Saiga in the nearish future japan gets a lead to investigate a fetish club for the super rich and it just gets realy realy wierd from there on in.

Its a very mature themed anime and not for those who are squimish. Its slightly surrealistic, with a lot of adult themes, violence and gorn.

Charterers are beautifully written, voice acting was top notch, both the sub and Dub are beautifully pulled off. Animation is superb, though a bit on the weird side of the fence. A masterpice form GONZO Digimation.

Eyeshield 21

8/10

A nice sports/shonen Anime adaptation of one of my favorite mangas, animated fairly well, sticks fairly close to the manga for 90% of the show. Good character growth, fairly good voice acting.

Only detraction from it is really the ending, it cut quite a few bits, and some of the characterization was not carried over.

Naruto Shippuden

7/10

Very long Shonen anime, animation varies depending on whether the episode is lifted from the manga or is filler, the important episodes are always very well animated.

Suffers somewhat from its length with major villains built up and then defeated, meaning each one after has to be more and more powerful, the power creep is very evident in the final arc that is currently airing. The other detraction is the main characters seemingly jedi mind trick level of persuasion, often referred to as talk- no-jutsu by fans and the massive amount of filler.

The final arc though has really stepped up the story and moved it from a slightly serious fighting anime to down right dark and gritty in quite a few places.

Decent anime, good for fans of shonen.

Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood

One I would recommend to any fan of shonen anime ( Spotted a trend yet Tongue). Deep and compelling story line, great voice acting, beautifully fluid style of animation and paced well.

Not exactly kid friendly, much of the show deals about war, betrayal death and loyalty. A must watch.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
18-12-2014, 09:03 AM
The Electric Town's Bookstore
A group of young adults work in a bookstore selling various manga. It's a pretty meat and potatoes affair with good enough art direction and run of the mill story and characters. The characters and themes are all well rehearsed tropes and none of the stories or characters are deep enough to care about. You know exactly who is going to pair up with who and in what way from the first episode. Sensei's character arc comes the closest to being engaging and was the only one that held a genuine laugh or two for me. There are a few notable monologues thrown in, mostly about the changing depiction of breasts in manga series through the changing of the seasons. 4/10
http://www.chia-anime.com/denki-gai-no-honya-san

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-12-2014, 01:32 AM
Silver Will Argevollen
Two mech-based armies square off against one another, one side clearly losing control over their territory. The series follows mobile Unit 8 whose special mech the Argevollen is clearly superior to those around it albeit piloted by an inexperienced officer. Standard Mech fare, and up until about episode 15 this was a 4/10 anime for me. Things picked up though, and if you skip the first ten episodes or so this becomes a 6/10 series. Political intrigue kicks off at this point in the relationship between the manufacturer of the new mech unit and two warring sides drives inevitable conflicts, and memories of a lost sibling fuel the crisis. It's firmly in my Tier 2, not a genre breaker or a world changer. But for a few episodes at least it is a competently executed military-focused series that builds characters and plot deep enough to care about.
http://www.chia-anime.com/shirogane-no-ishi-argevollen

24-12-2014, 05:49 AM
Your Lie in April
A boy meets a girl playing music in a park. A story gracefully unfolds whereby a young boy's musical career is healed and revived after the death of his mother. It's story that is part moe, part sports anime, part teen romance, love triangle, and to say much more would be to give away key plot points. I'm at episode 11 and the remainder of the plot has been fairly well telegraphed, but I'm looking forward to seeing the conclusion. This is a real gem in my eyes, and I'm glad I came across it. It isn't a burning must watch anime but for me makes my tier 1. Maybe it's the christmas spirit coming over me, but this is such a thing of beauty and light it's so hard to hate and easy to enjoy. The score, characters, plot, tone... they all mesh and its light tone allows it to deal with darker topics in a way that a more serious anime could not. For me this is a genre breaker that shows the expertise of the creative team in bringing together wildly different elements and making them work and propel the story economically and yet wistfully and at a calm and airy pace. 7/10
[Image: Shigatsu-wa-Kimi-no-Uso.jpg]
http://www.chia-anime.com/shigatsu-wa-ki...episode-11

24-12-2014, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2014 07:06 AM by Free Thought.)
Steins;Gate
[Image: 41011.jpg]
Steins;Gate follows the adventure of self proclaimed Mad Scientist Okabe Rintarō and co of the "Future Gadget Laboratory" as Okabe cracks the secrets of time itself. It soon becomes apparent to Okabe that the consequences of altering time can be far greater than he'd ever realised.

As the main concept of time travels is... not quite scientifically feasible now... the writers had plenty of room to run, and run they did, with an interesting take with the concept, making it interesting while also being easy to digest; they flesh it out just enough to allow the audience to think, but not enough to get bogged down in meaningless Star Trekesque babble. The best part of the time travel plot, however is not explanation, but the effects it has. While subtle at first, the implications of time travel become quite apparent, especially at the climax of the series. More interesting than that is the effects on our 'hero' Okabe; he being the only member of the Laboratory who can remember the previous 'world lines'. This does bring up the problem of character development, which for this series is not really a problem at all: Only Okabe really changes, since he is the only one who experiences the frequent shifts between space-time, but it works; he changes drastically from beginning to end and in a remarkably compelling way. While the other characters stay more or less static in time, they are more than good enough to stand in such a way, though subtle change does happen as time goes on in terms of relationships between the cast as they spend more time together.
Under normal circumstances, the show looks... decent. It doesn't look like much special, but it does have a look of it's own which is rather appealing. Though it seems to keep most of it's animation budget under lock and key for just the right moment, which it pulls off; those moments where the stocks were pulled from the animation were awesome.

The biggest problem the series has is that it takes a few episodes to get rolling. And the final few episodes get some flak, but I find them perfectly fitting.

I'd rate Steins;Gate an 9/10. Fucking buy that shit. Now. And marathon the bastard.

And now, because every single one of my ratings has been so overwhelmingly positive; have some shit:

K-On.
[Image: K-On!_DVD_volume_1_cover.jpg]
K-On follows one Yui Hirasawa, new to school (sorry, can't remember if it is "high" or "middle") who wants to join a club; after some faffing about due to having no idea what club she should join, she is basically drafted into the school's "Light Music Club" which is desperate for members after she mistook the name for 'music requiring no ability' basically. She becomes the fledging band's guitarist despite having no prior experience and the series proceeds to follow the daily life of the band as they go on their quest to improve their skills and play at a live concert.

This series is a Slice of Life, which feels like they didn't bother cutting a slice and instead just went and took the whole goddamned cake. Which is ironic, given that the most common activity performed by the cast is eating fucking cake and drinking tea. Instead of practising as one might think a band would be wont to do, the vast majority of time is spent sitting on their remarkably not fat asses chatting and stuffing their faces with cake and tea. In fact it is their primary means of conflict solution: New band member feels uneasy? Have some cake! Supervisor suffering deep depression due to teen-years romantic failures? Have some cake! Keyboard/vocalist threatening to quit? Have some motherfucking cake! Cake may be delicious, but it doesn't work that way, damnit! When they do practise it is usually played for laughs due to Yui's near-total incompetence and to offset and embolden that she is good on stage. Speaking of on-stage moments; there are remarkably few: in an anime based around a band, one would think that playing even minor events would be a more common occurrence, but no; there are maybe three real preferences in the show. And about just as many songs to boot....
And for a comedy series there are few actually funny moments; a one or two made me smirk but that was about it and those few jokes get endlessly and mercilessly reused.

One good thing about the show is it looks good. The animation is fluid throughout and remains consistently good, though the 'moe-blob' style may get on the nerves of some. The only time the show really breaks the 'looks good' streak is during concert scenes and the opening and closing (but that's to be expected). Concert scenes undeniably look fantastic and they fit with the music being played, which is itself a very, very small bonus; if you like J-pop or just up-beat music, you'll love the music K-On has to offer. And if not, you may enjoy the background music, which while they tend to very... backgroundy, when listened to on their own tend to stand well for themselves.

K-on gets a solid 4/10.
It drags on and on just as much as real life does; little is ever accomplished per episode and the one episode where they actually memorably do something is rendered pointless immediately afterward, not that they did much to begin with. The only merits this show has that it looks good and has a few good songs, which are absolutely not enough to save it from being a soul-sucking waste of time!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
30-12-2014, 03:56 AM
I watched Fate: Zero a few times. One of the best and most original shows I have seen. I also still follow Naruto Sippuden every week and it is also an amazing anime.

There is also Fate: Stay night, it is the original, where Fate: Zero is a prequel, but Stay night is ... I don't know, bad? The story and lore have been changed and everything is ... kinda like PG13, while Zero is 18+. There, the main difference.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
30-12-2014, 09:19 AM
I have some mixed feelings about Steins;Gate. Episodes 1-12 were very slow. They were important in establishing character, but I think could have been told in a more economical way. Around episode 13 things improved radically, and around 15-18 were good but followed a very predictable overall plot (I have 6 things to undo, we have to undo them, and can't solve the problem any other way). Once the characters are developed they are mostly compelling. They are still mostly fairly one-dimensional but there are some interesting reveals. In the end I do care about Shiina Mayuri's fate, and that is the critical requirement to caring about the main body of this story. Her future mirrors the future of the world and personalises the future tragedy that must be avoided. This then leads into further compelling choices.

I wasn't surprised after watching to find this series was based on a game. It seems to be referenced in Daru's obsession with 2D girls and dating simulators, and reflected in the soft harem theme. This repeating time structure with increasing player knowledge would have made a lot of sense in that setting. However, I think much of what I didn't like about it may also have been hangovers from this earlier format. I think too much character development depends on reveals, and I think perhaps some of the predictability of plot in the middle section may have been focused on trying to keep the player on task in the earlier medium. Some of its strengths also seem based in that medium. It has as strong narrative and well thought out world system. It ends strongly and was well worth the time to watch. 7/10

30-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Filox: My brother put me on to Fate/Zero a while back. It's probably about 5/10 in my bucket. The background and story were interesting but at least at the time I watched it I didn't feel it had a real kick to it. On reflection at least a few characters and story arcs were highly memorable. I think I liked the ancillary characters more than the leads. Rider's arc was particularly memorable to me, as was Caster's arc - though somewhat less pleasant Wink. I don't think I ever really got into the Church's conspiracy, nor cared at all about Saber's character. Her reveal was interesting, but her conflict with Lancer and her other conflicts really didn't grab me.

I don't get as much time to sit and watch anime series that often, so I appreciate series that end Wink I have seen some Naruto Shippuden and they have been excellent, but I just haven't been able to commit to 17 season anime - nor do I feel like I can drop in and just watch a few here and there and do the series justice. I like my binge watching to have a full stop at the end. My daughter Miss 8 has just finished watching the 200 episodes of Sailor Moon, and I somewhat envy her ability to just sit down and watch one thing for that long.