Rate the last anime series you watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 07:13 AM
RE: Rate the last anime series you watched
Haruka Nogizaka's Secret 乃木坂春香の秘密
[Image: 56965.jpg]
Nogizaka Haurka no Himitsu is part romantic comedy, part tutorial for aspiring otaku. The series is based on the relationship between unreasonably innocent Nogazaka Haurka and unreasonably restrained Ayase Yuuto. It has its high points and low points, never really achieving anything great. But the little windows into Akihabara and Doujinshi circles were sometimes interesting. The second season doesn't cover much of that otaku tutorial content but rather makes a stronger play at harem and lolli themes than the first season.
[Image: 51619.jpg]
Nogizaka-chan's secret is that she likes anime and manga and needs help learning about the scene. I can't help contrasting this 2008/2009 perspective of a female otaku to 2013's Watamote, which I consider pretty much the canonical text on that subject. What a difference five years can make. While Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu is really aimed at the teenage male virgin audience the later Watamote seems more broadly targeted and is better and funnier overall. I'll give Haruka no Himitsui 3/5, while Watamote is easily a 4/5.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2015, 09:04 AM
[Image: Attack-On-Titan-Film-1-Poster.jpg]

A world were human's are going extinct. The few that survive have gone into hiding behind a massive series of walls. The world is owned by the titans, giants that will devour any thing they can grab. Till now the walls have done there job at keeping them out. But suddenly without warning a colossal Titan shows up that towers. over any Titan they've ever seen. It destroys they're protective wall and let's the titans in decimating the citizens of Shinganshina.

Five years pass and the children that survived that attack have joined the army to defend, and reclaim the city they lost.

A dark action series. With compelling characters. No happy stories here thou. Every glint of hope is often stripped from the series. But it just fuels the struggle the characters are going threw. Riddled with social commentaries, the titan's are not the only threat to the future of humanity.

4 out of 5
Colossal Chibi Titans
[Image: 1b67485fdf1cad295d82db946a922ac9.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
11-10-2015, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 06:25 PM by Free Thought.)
The Devil is a Part Timer!

[Image: Hataraku_Ma%C5%8D-sama%21_light_novel_vol_1.jpg]

The Devil has marched his demonic armies all over Ente Isla in an attempt to take the world for his own. In the wake of his steady advance nothing but horror and devastation is left; the name 'Satan' is uttered only in fearful whispers by the humans and other inhabitants of the land.
This is until one valiant Hero rose to the task of stemming the tide, fighting through hordes of demons and rallying the crumbling remnants of humanity, the Hero lead the charge; they slayed the first three of Satan's four Demonic Generals, then led the attack on the castle of King Satan himself.

With no other option but defeat, Satan swears an oath of retribution against the humans and escapes with Alciel, his surviving General and right-hand man, through a Gate between worlds.

Awakening on Earth, Satan and Alciel find themselves in the bodies of humans and with their magic all but gone. They must find a way to survive in this world and regain their power so that they may return to Ente Isla to wreak vengeance upon the upstart humans, with Earth as the first target in King Satan's eye.

But then, well not everything can go to plan.

Despite the rather grandiose opening of the show, make no mistake it is a slice-of-life comedy. Just this one involves the Devil becoming essentially human, and taking a part-time position at MgRonald's.

For me, this show did exactly as it set out to do; it made me laugh. If they did any one thing right with this series, it's the comedy; the show is well timed on its own and the localisers did a good job translating the jokes over. There's not much else to say about it really; the characters flow between each other well.

The music ranges between 'pretty damn good' to a solid 'meh'. The dub cast is great, I think.

In terms of art, the budget I think was pretty clearly saved for the action scenes, and it was quite well used. Not to disparage the general standard of animation quality the show displays which is fairly good itself.

Overall it's a good series for what is is. 6.8/10

Edit: spelling

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
24-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club and eternal summer
[Image: Free-wall.jpg]
I started watching Free! as an antidote to the awful Dramatical Murder. Don't get me wrong, compared to DM Free is ducking masterpiece... but I can't really recommend it. I watched through both the original season and Eternal Summer. My feeling is that there wasn't enough material to make up the time even in the original season. I wanted more. I wanted more character growth. I wanted more back story. I wanted romance. I wanted intrigue.

Free is the story of a group of boys whose names sound like girls' and used to swim together in primary school. The main group ends up at the same high school and forms a swimming club. The remaining member had moved to Australia for swimming but come back disheartened. He attended a school with an established club but had not chosen to join.

This is a series about the relationship between these boys, but to me there wasn't enough substance to this relationship. A reasonable back story is told over time but to me wasn't strong enough to carry the series. We ended up very late out of nowhere self contained "bad things happened but we fixed them and never mentioned them before or after" episodes. Man I hate those Smile

The other problem this series had as a straight sports anime was the need for the team to keep winning in order to advance the plot. This made victory hollow and no matter how many marine life metaphors they threw in made the actual swimming fairly tedious. As a BL title it was also far too coy to be of real interest. Innuendo was fairly thin on the ground as the series consistently opted for muscles fan service over romantic tension. An average 3/5 from me.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
19-11-2015, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2015 09:15 AM by Hafnof.)
Samurai Flamenco サムライフラメンコ
[Image: SamuraiFlamencovolume1.jpg]
Samurai Flamenco is eclectic. It's not going to be for everyone and doesn't try to be. In essence it is a homage to, partial deconstruction of, and actual example of Japanese superhero mythos... particularly mythos aimed at younger children.

Masayoshi Hazama has grown up wanting to be a superhero. His career takes him into the world of male modeling, but kick-ass style he starts to take on vigilante tasks at night. The central relationship is between Hazama and police officer Hidenori Goto who stands as Hazama's anchor to reality.

The story takes several turns along the way but ends up dealing with various heroic themes. I'm finding it hard to rate. Scanning review titles I saw "I can't tell if Samurai Flamenco is terrible or brilliant". Well I've fallen on the "brilliant" side of that divide. 5/5 from me.

19-11-2015, 09:44 AM
[Image: the-seven-deadly-sins-5517.jpg]

7 Deadly Sins is a fun anime. The story follows a princess who is gathering a group of infamous knights who tried to overthrow the kingdom some 10 years prior to block an uprising by the realms supposed protectors "The Holy Knights". One of the main characters is a talking pig, that alone should let you know if this is for you or not.

[Image: raf,220x200,075,f,black.jpg]

Lot of comedy mixed with some cool fights. Sword and sorcery with a new "Super Mega Attack" being unveiled every fight. The characters are actually fairly deep each being given a few episodes to develop their backstories. The first season is on netflix and I recommend you go with the original Japanese with english Subs.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-11-2015, 05:55 AM
I watched the first season on seven deadly sins recently but didn't review it because it seemed to incomplete to render an opinion on. I think it holds some promise.

20-11-2015, 06:12 AM
(20-11-2015 05:55 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I watched the first season on seven deadly sins recently but didn't review it because it seemed to incomplete to render an opinion on. I think it holds some promise.

I wanted to talk about it when I was watching it, but the series wasn't complete anywhere I looked at the time so I didn't, but i liked it then. I just hope it ended well.
... Where can I catch up on it down here?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-11-2015, 07:33 AM
(20-11-2015 06:12 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 05:55 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I watched the first season on seven deadly sins recently but didn't review it because it seemed to incomplete to render an opinion on. I think it holds some promise.

I wanted to talk about it when I was watching it, but the series wasn't complete anywhere I looked at the time so I didn't, but i liked it then. I just hope it ended well.
... Where can I catch up on it down here?

I am guessing you do not have Netflix. Since they snatched it up I doubt there are many online sources for watching unless you want to try pirate bay.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-12-2015, 07:26 AM
One crunchyroll 48 hour guest pass. Useful for existing non premium members only really. First come first served: http://www.crunchyroll.com/guest_pass?code=BV7JWDPGWL3