Rate the last anime series you watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2016, 09:53 AM
RE: Rate the last anime series you watched
GATE(ゲート)自衛隊 彼の地にて、斯く戦えり 第2クール
[Image: TPbaO.jpg]
Gate is a two season fantasy based on the premise of a magical gate opening up in modern day Japan. Thus a one sided battle begins between the Japanese Self Defence Force and a people armed with medieval weapons and magic. It's a ra ra piece that feels like a paid SDF recruitment tool. Or equally you could say the premise is a Japanese otaku's time in a land filled with sexy anime trope girls.

It's an uneven series with a good amount of enjoyable content, but has its share of "what were they thinking when they wrote this" moments. The story arcs of several key characters such as Princess Pina make absolutely no sense.

An early theme in the series suggests the whole thing could be a "life on Mars" setup, but it seems there was no really consistent sense by the writers of what they wanted the series to be.

It has it's moments. Mostly its military operations were the best thing going for the show, but I can't give it more than 3/5 overall.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
11-06-2016, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2016 09:39 AM by Hafnof.)
Shin Atashinchi - 新あたしンち
[Image: 76046.jpg]
This series is something of a cultural equivalent of the Simpsons in the west. It's a pretty funny sitcom that focuses on the small stories in life and the workings of a Japanese household. This is a series my wife enjoyed watching along to despite not being an anime fan herself.
There are a few weird gender role things that I could complain about and this isn't a series for everyone, but I enjoyed it. 4/5.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
11-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Hunter X Hunter
10/10

The animation quality and soundtracks are superb. The anime was produced by the same people who made the awesome One Punch Man anime. I read the HxH manga many years ago and I have to say that the anime definitely does it justice by staying very faithful to the source material.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
11-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Rin-ne - 境界のRINNE
[Image: 73436.jpg]
Rokudo-kun is the star of this ongoing comedy about a shinagame sort of thing who is just trying to get by. It's a series with a lot of labored jokes but also contains a few gems here and there. The promise itself contains several pretty funny running jokes, and the series introduces a cast of pretty funny recurring characters. 3/5.

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
23-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Anime ???
Hi
does anyone here watch Anime ?
i in the middle of watching one called bleach its good its been running for years
watched death note the drama and the anime but i heard its going to be made a Hollywood film unsure how good that will be might have more gore in it witch means i cant see it
[+] 1 user Likes DarkAsylum's post
23-06-2016, 12:44 PM
RE: Anime ???
(23-06-2016 12:18 PM)DarkAsylum Wrote:  Hi
does anyone here watch Anime ?
i in the middle of watching one called bleach its good its been running for years
watched death note the drama and the anime but i heard its going to be made a Hollywood film unsure how good that will be might have more gore in it witch means i cant see it

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks Revs

Threads merged

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-06-2016, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 07:15 PM by Hafnof.)
Space Patrol Luluco
宇宙パトロールルル子

[Image: 79073l.jpg]
Luluco is an ordinary girl who wants to live an ordinary life in her ordinary city Space Immigration Zone Ogikubo with her ordinary father. Life does not go as she planned. This is a series of over the top seven minute episodes in a madcap style. Some of it is funny but the humour is pretty uneven. Through the course of the series you'll be asked to get on board with her blossoming middle school crush.
To me the series does pay off towards the end. Until then I think it was struggling to find an emotional core to swing the story around. That's not surprising given the limited format. I enjoyed it in the end. 3/5 from me. Awake! Judgement! Gun Morphing!

25-06-2016, 07:13 PM
I have an irrational hatred for anime.
26-06-2016, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 07:22 PM by Free Thought.)
Mekakucity Actors
[Image: mekaku-city-actors-6003.jpg]

You know how anime usually comes from manga, and expands out into Visual Novels, merch, music etc?

Mekakucity Actors is the opposite of that; it started out as a series of vocaloid-sung music videos on Nicovideo telling the stories of interconnected characters trying to deal with the problems that plague them. It got big, and got mangas, light novels, and the anime. It's a 12 episode series.

The story is much the same as that portrayed in the original music videos, but it fills in many of the gaps there were 'left' between the songs, and some minor details are changed. The anime does add too the overarching story which ties everything together, with is of course a necessity for an adaptation.
The basics of the story is that it is about a group of youths-to young adults who by mysterious circumstances all have unique powers connected to their eyes, and their quest to gather those like them and find the origin of their powers. As an example; Momo Kisaragi's power is to focus everybody's attention, but she can't control it. It has made her life hollow as no matter what she does, she gets attention and praise, often at the expense of others.

I found the characters and dialogue rather enjoyable and relatable, and I liked the story front to back. Some moments had me positively rapt.

The anime is done by Shaft, so the art is characteristically 'flat', with sharp colour contrast and fair lack of specific detail. It's consistent throughout the show, but we're naturally not approaching Madoka Magica quality.

I liked the songs. I just wish there was more attention paid to them. But for the sake of story and general flow, I get the sacrifice.

I'd give it 6.9/10

It can be found subbed on Crunchyroll and Animelab.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post