Rate the last anime series you watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2016, 07:01 AM
RE: Rate the last anime series you watched
The Lost Village
迷家

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
A group of societal dropouts decide to leave life behind to join a commune in legendary Nanaki village. One might expect a Lord of the Flies outcome and you would not be entirely wrong, but this series takes a supernatural approach.

There is some tension in the series and some interesting characters within the broad cast. The concept itself is somewhat interesting. 3/5 from me.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2016, 12:56 PM
It's not anime, it's a comic. But, it's the best thing I've read in quite some time, and would make a fantastic show. It's actually so good I can't wait the whole damn month for each issue. The rights were bought up by Sony Entertainment before the first issue hot the shelves.

Descender, by Image Comics

[Image: Descender_vol1-1.png]

Go ahead and just order the first two compilation volumes on Amazon
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
27-06-2016, 07:48 AM
Pan de Peace!
パンでPeace!

[Image: 79400.jpg]
Peace through Bread is pretty much my least favorite kind of slice of life. Nothing really happens. Some girls like pastry products and more or less feature some pastry type each episode. The characters are supposed to be cute, but have essentially no personality. It uses the 7 minute episode format and it seems the writers were not able to use that format to create anything really interesting. 2/5 from me.

Crane game girls
美少女遊戯ユニットクレーンゲール

[Image: f9620dfbaf00aeb3e285955f70104c001459906859_full.jpg]
A group of girls are promised they'll be made Idols, but actually they've been hired to play arcade claw games in order to save the world from asteroids. I was hoping the quirky start would emerge into something like the first series of Miss Monochrome, but no such luck. 2/5

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
28-06-2016, 06:20 AM
Flying Witch
ふらいんぐうぃっち

[Image: 80039l.jpg]
This is a standout of this anime season for me. It's a slice of life series based around a young witch learning the ropes and supporting various characters who represent the natural world as it is and as it changes. It's sweet and funny and well paced with likeable characters and well earned moments. 4/5 from me.

13-07-2016, 09:15 AM
影鰐-KAGEWANI-
[Image: 76060l.jpg]
This is another of the series I quite enjoyed this season. It's a cheaply made affair with limited animation but makes up for it in my mind with a decent basic story and a consistently high intensity level. Banba Sensei is a Mulder like character who investigates UMA sightings. Is there a common thread behind them? 4/5 from me.

Guys, guys guys guys. They've made Sweetness and Lightning into an anime. I'm pretty excited. It's a 5/5 manga from me. I have my complaints, but so far they seem to be doing a decent job of translating it to the screen.

19-07-2016, 09:43 AM
High School fleet ハイスクール・フリート
[Image: f814fb0bb1df330ae9af4db7d00125591462574622_full.jpg]
This is an average anime with decent characters but a weak premise and predictable story. In the future Japanese students are given warships to operate due to an ever expanding need for naval activities. High school fleet follows one such ship in its maiden voyage during what turns out to be a perilous training exercise. 3/5

The asterix war 学戦都市アスタリスク
[Image: 533750c9078ac64f7606abdbb5e62a5e1444872589_full.jpg]
The asterix war is a stylish affair, and beautiful. I found it an enjoyable series although it never really elevated itself outside of the average anime tranche. It feels like a series for younger viewers, like a polished up World Trigger. It's fundamentally a fighting anime. 3/5.

19-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Rate the last anime series you watched
[Image: 3ca10fb0390787f043876a50c6dc927c.jpg]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
27-07-2016, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2016 09:52 AM by Hafnof.)
Sailor Moon Crystal 美少女戦士セーラームーン Crystal
[Image: 743b1abd76bc4fbe9b6df5427a0d08fb1459904360_full.jpg]
Where do I start with Sailor Moon Crystal? I could start with my rating. I think it is an amazing average anime. I could start by comparing it to the Sailor Moon some would have grown up with. It isn't as funny. My ten year old prefers the old series. It's condensed. It's summarised like a readers digest version of itself.

There has clearly been an exceptional effort here to crate something beautiful that is true to the manga. The thing is that in this boiled down form the story itself is problematic in a number of ways. Modern eyes must see it through the lens of everything it inspired, up to and including Puella Magi Madoka Magika. It could be read as a fairytale romance, a story of friendship and peril and magic and mayhem. It could be read as a benevolent Silver Millennium family facing all foes and protecting the earth. But I read it fundamentally as a story of old bored gods and loveless relationships.

Usagi is a middle schooler who is approached by the taking cat Luna to unlock the powers of Sailor Moon. Soon Sailor Moon is joined by more Sailor Senshi as they face the peril of the dark kingdom. Each starts to recall their past life and a forbidden love between Princess Serenity and Prince Endymion. This emerges as a sometimes forced, sometimes creepy, relationship between Usagi and high schooler Momoro.

Just as this relationship starts to become believable the fruit of their loins shows up from the future to lock take all choice away from the young reborn potential couple and things get creepy again. All believability in that relationship vanishes as the future versions of themselves are presented as abstract entities who can't even talk to each other anymore. The relationship between King Endymion and Sailor Pluto is more believable than his relationship with Neo Queen Serenity.

Meanwhile the relationship between Sailor Moon and the Sailor Soldiers becomes more critical to the core of this story. But this is also the point where the series introduces the "holy grail" that lets Sailor Moon drink the powers of the Senshi around her like a motherfucking vampire or parasite to power up further. Her daughter does this too making me wonder whether Sailor Moon is in fact an alien who has controlled the minds intentionally or unintentionally of a noble Sailor species like a cookoo chick in a nest. It's like the whole solar system is bent to her will, yet she is presented as the hero of this story.

There are moments of serious drama, tension, and intrigue in this series. But overall I couldn't buy into the story or key relationships. Unlike the original series humour isn't used to sufficiently cover over these weaknesses. 3/5 from me.

29-07-2016, 04:18 PM
tokyo ghoul- 11 put of 10

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
[+] 2 users Like kunoxian drive's post
08-08-2016, 07:16 AM
Could it be?
A 5/5 slice of life anime?

Non Non Biyori Repeat
[Image: f24f103a10fd45daab2d4754d2e384b71437527434_full.jpg]
Non Non Biyori Repeat is the second attempt at making the Non Non Biyori anime. Non Non Biyori was recommended to me after I was raving about Flying Witch on Facebook. What I found in the original series was some good characterisation but a really poor tone in multiple episodes that didn't feel true to these characters at all. I had almost given up when crunchyroll offered me the Repeat series. Was it a sequel? No, a reimagining with the tone problems completely resolved.

Non Non Biyori Repeat is excellent, must watch in my humble opinion. I feel like saying anything much at all would spoil it. If you do watch and like it there are a couple of worthwhile episodes in the original series, but in particular you might want to check out "Summer Vacation Started", episode 4.