Rate the last anime series you watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2016, 07:49 AM
RE: Rate the last anime series you watched
Usakame うさかめ
[Image: 79223.jpg]
This series it a cheaply made three minute that sits somewhere between a slice of life and skit comedy routine. It is fast paced and doesn't translate particularly well. It seems to hit its groove a little towards the end but isn't really worth your time. 2/5

Wagamama High Spec ワガママハイスペック
[Image: 79135.jpg]
Pervy mostly nothing three minute anime. 2/5.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2016, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2016 09:16 AM by Hafnof.)
Momokuri ももくり
[Image: d5f210096bde2ef386f3aab1f7e7d4fe1467378311_full.jpg]
Momokuri is a romcom with some role reversal features. Kurihara-chan likes a boy obsessively. She takes photos. She follows him around. She does her research. She's a stalker. When she builds up the courage to ask him out he says yes. This series is about her difficulty adjusting to having an actual relationship. It's not bad if you're willing to buy into the premise as the plot delves lightly into what counts for perversion in typical Japanese school romcom settings. It runs out of things to do with the characters by the end and could have afforded to be a couple of episodes shorter. A respectable 3/5 from me.

Twin Star Exorcists 双星の陰陽師
[Image: 0d9b4b1ea1fa85abd0472c0d1314c2601459549637_full.jpg]
Speaking of pervy, whereas Momokuri is a sometimes thoughtful exploration of these themes the twin stars spends a little too much time on the practice of those themes. It's aimed at a younger teen audience that will be titillated by on screen events. It also relies a little too much on flashbacks to pad the runtime. If you can get past that and the relatively one dimensional characters there is a heart to the twin stars. The central conceit is that two children are "married" against their will to fulfill a prophecy that they would bring forth a child to end the war between Exorcists and "Kegare".
There is a definite point at which they run out of manga to base the series upon and boy does it show. You'd be pretty safe to stop watching after episode 20. 3/5 from me.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
08-10-2016, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2016 10:58 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Whoops...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
10-10-2016, 11:48 PM
Noragami

[Image: 77809l.jpg]

The gods are very much real in this world, and many intercede at the behest of their worshippers.
The story focuses on the lone god Yato, a no-name god desperate to scrape by and gain followers, stooping to untold lows for human recognition. After his Regalia, a spirit bound to him that acts as his weapon, has had enough of him and leaves, he must find another in order to fulfil his godly duties. during his search, a girl named Hirori somehow notices him and 'saves' him from being hit by a truck, getting herself struck in the process. She winds up in a state of half-death; able to interact with both the realms of the earth and the spirit. With Hirori now hounding him to restore her to normalcy, we follow Yato in his quests to fulfil the few tasks he can get and survive in his world while attempting to escape his past.

I liked both seasons of Noragami. The animation is smooth, the music is nice, and the Dub is well done. I like the way the plot unfolds and how the characters develop.

7.5/10

My Hero Academia

[Image: MHA_keyart.jpg]

High school One Punch Man! Except not at all, but kind of...

Humanity has developed tendencies toward the development of mutations granting abilities from fantastical to banal; these mutations are called Quirks, and 80% of humanity have developed a quirk in the time since the first child born with one. Naturally, with the rise of such wide, varied, and unpredictable powers, crime spiked through the roof before a new profession arose: Heroism. Heros are those who use their Quirk as sanctioned by the local government in order to stop super criminals. Izuku Midoriya, an outcast and nerd in middle school has always dreamed of becoming a hero just like his idol, the unstoppable All Might. However, he is Quirkless. Due to a chance encounter with 'the greatest hero ever', he is capable of chasing his dream and manages to enter the world's most prestigious Academy of Heroes.
The show follows Izuku and his classmates as they go through their training to become heroes.

I found it to be a good show; it's lighthearted mostly but when it needs to hit home with sobriety it can, fortunately those are rare moments that don't spoil the general mood by forcing a shift into 'darker and edgier' territory.
The animation is competently done, the music is solid, and the plot is okay for what it is. I found the show to be thoroughly enjoyable. I found the super powers interesting in the cases where they were actually described; one girl has the ability to use extendable, prehensile earphone jacks that extend from her earlobes to listen to things through other mediums and project her heartbeat as a sonic attack, a boy fires a lazer out of his naval, but 'gets a tummy ache' if it is fired for more than a few seconds at a time, another secretes nitroglycerine from his palms like sweat and can detonate it at will.
Not precisely a typical assortment of superpowers.

8/10.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-10-2016, 07:10 AM
I just finished rewatching Non Non Biyori Repeat with the kids. They had a blast. We've just started back into Haibane Renmei.

Sweetness and Lightning 甘々と稲妻
[Image: adeebec82242cd8f432f4e244af81a061467608954_full.jpg]
Sweetness and Lightning is a first class manga, and average anime. In concept this is a series about the importance of family, community, and cooking seen through the eyes of a preschool aged child. Her father is a teacher at the local high school and the once family of three is now a family of two after the death of her mother a year ago. In execution this is a series about a teacher visiting, sharing meals with, and learning to cook with one of his female students... so tone is critical to making the relationships and the series work. To me the anime version strays not quite into but far too close to outright fan service at times. What should be a series focused on what it means to be a real man and father in the wake of tragedy and the reinvigorated enjoyment of life together is muddled and misses the mark. 3/5

02-12-2016, 06:10 AM
I've hit the animes pretty hard lately...

Haganai + Haganai Next
[Image: haganai_kk0.jpg]
Thing SNAFU, but way more fanservicey and with way less grounded and philosophically inclined characters.

The ending of the second season was pretty rewarding.
6.5/10

Is This A Zombie?
[Image: p9638306_b_v8_ab.jpg]
The answer to that question is no. No that is not a zombie. Just an immortal teenage boy risen by a necromancer. But not a zombie by any standard definition.

It's fairly well done, but nothing special.
6/10

Mayo Chiki!
[Image: 10110.jpg]

Dear god everything i watch is getting progressively pervier... What is wrong with me.

Despite all the perving in this, I found it to be a refreshing tale of a young lad being tortured by girls trying to cure him of his gynophobia.
6/10

You know what, I really need to watch something fast paced and action heav-

Ouran High School Host Club
[Image: 71992.jpg]

Let's take the fanservice and throw it in the opposite direction, see if it hits!

... I'll hand in my man card at the end of the week.
7/10

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
[Image: d6ee37b791b46c7c66cda8af1e72298b1392243736_full.jpg]

The only anime that has made me cringe more is Watamote.

It's actually good; well animated, good style, solid dub... I just can't do it, man...
3.5 episodes in: 6.5/10

Help me I've fallen down a pit of despair and cannot escape, somebody throw me down the Evangellion Rebuild movies...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
04-12-2016, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2016 10:08 AM by Hafnof.)
Mob psycho 100 モブサイコ100
[Image: 746648cbc49e05494bc250f40a0c84911467850041_full.jpg]
Mob Psycho is a follow up from the creators of one punch man. It takes place in a younger setting, following a high school student who is trying to better himself. After all, he only has one skill. This series is not another One Punch Man, but it is pretty good. It follows some similar themes of introspection over heroism and power. 4/5

The Art Club Has A Problem! この美術部には問題がある!
[Image: c1d4c7085f1a2112ce1c21b1b43f1b8b1467896005_full.jpg]
This is a cute little story about a girl secretly in love with a boy who only cares for 2D girls. Not bad. 3/5

ReLIFE
[Image: 82149l.jpg]
The point of this series is unclear to me. A strange government agency enlists NEETs to go back to high school with a drug that makes them look young again. It seems to be trying to offer high school students the wisdom of a few extra years experience at times, and at others it seems to be trying to remind jobless slobs of the hope and promise of youth. Mostly it comes across as a little creepy older guy / high school girl relationships. 2/5

orange(オレンジ)
[Image: 80110.jpg]
Orange is a sincere hamfisted treatment of youth suicide. There is actually a lot to like in this series. The main character receives a letter from herself ten years in the future designed to erase her regrets mainly related to a friend's suicide. Unfortunately a combination between the ham and unlikely continuity undo much of its good work. 3/5

NEW GAME
[Image: 80417.jpg]
New game is a moe anime covering the launch of a computer game from the perspective of a new hire graphic artist. I actually liked it a fair bit but the sugar is ladled on a little think. 3/5

hitorinoshita - The Outcast, 一人之下 THE OUTCAST
[Image: 80346l.jpg]
This is a slightly more complex series and not a bad one. It's basically a fighting/magic anime that is designed to be ongoing and seems aimed to mid teen viewers. 3/5

(02-12-2016 06:10 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Ouran High School Host Club
[Image: 71992.jpg]

Let's take the fanservice and throw it in the opposite direction, see if it hits!

... I'll hand in my man card at the end of the week.
7/10
It's easy to like Ouran and so hard to dislike. It's so fun and self aware.

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post